A129 losing power intermittently

mco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. So I had the camera installed professionally about 18 months ago into a bradn new car with the viofo hard wired kit. The camera has been working flawlessly for about 16 months, recording everything while driving, and capturing all motion while the car is off day or night. I recently realized that it wasn't recording during "off" hours, and upon further investigation, noticed that sometimes when the car is parked, the power light in the corner of the camera is off. Other times it's on. No rhyme or reason. Any suggestions? I reached out to the seller, and they suggested checking the low voltage cut off and possibly lowering it if the battery is getting a little old. I did lower it, but no change. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you been checking and formatting the card regularly? A lot of operational issues have their root cause here.

Phil

I have, yes. I have tried both hardwire power and the supplied cable to power from usb. They both work intermittently. I'm thinking some type of factory reset or firmware reset

Many in-car USB ports do not have sufficient power for dashcams- especially Viofo's. Use either a wall-powered phone charger or the supplied ciggie-lighter-to-USB adapter.

Use the "sdformatter" freeware and do a full overwrite to verify the card is good. You can try reloading the firmware- it should be available on the Viofo website. Best to do this with a 32GB or smaller card but larger sizes usually work if you format them to the fat32 file system before loading the FW. Windows won't do this so you may need one of the many freewares which do. Insert card with FW into cam and power on. Do not drop power until LED indicator stops blinking. If cam doesn't turn itself on, do that your self after the LED stops blinking. Reset settings to factory default, drop power to cam, wait a few seconds and restart cam re-entering your preferred settings. Also do an in-cam card format now. It is critical that you follow these steps exactly when loading FW in dashcams.

If these steps do not fix the problem then it's a hardware issue in the cam and replacement will be necessary.

Phil

Back