VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Increasing Bit Rate , Resolution & Frame Rate will all increase processing load in tiny amounts. Installing the maximum Modified Bit Rate of 27.5Mbps will push the temps higher but not to a critical level. If your goal is improved A129 image quality download my 24Mbps BitRate MOD, its the same default rate all A119 DVRs use for 1440P and supports Parking Mode without lockups or skipped detections. Why the newest A129 has default 1080P@60fps bitrate of only 20Mbps is an insult.

Hi BC, I've just received A129 after long time deciding which way to go, first dc for me so please forgive me for my 'noob' question! My unit was still V1.0 so I installed the V1.2 yesterday and all ok after testing....if I install your V1.2 mod for the improved video quality 24Mbps, is it then offering me more options in the existing factory settings menu with all other settings being original?....hope this makes sense, thanks

Hi BC, I've just received A129 after long time deciding which way to go, first dc for me so please forgive me for my 'noob' question! My unit was still V1.0 so I installed the V1.2 yesterday and all ok after testing....if I install your V1.2 mod for the improved video quality 24Mbps, is it then offering me more options in the existing factory settings menu with all other settings being original?....hope this makes sense, thanks
Welcome to the DashCamTalk Forum, the UK has some of the best scenic country roads in the world, perfect for the A129 Dash Cam!
Suggest you stick with the official VIOFO v1.2 for a week or so before jumping into Firmware MODs. My Modified Firmware doesn't add new features to the MENU yet, instead I've adjusted the data values for features hidden from the MENU.
The A129 is top of the VIOFO line, an excellent Dashcam, wish I had one, enjoy it, use it and learn everything it can do before jumping into the deep end. Read all the Forum messages, follow every link, this is the best place for Dashcam/DVR information. Click my avatar anytime to start a private conversation, checkout my tiny YouTube channel. Thanks for contacting me.

Installed bitrate modded version. Soon tell the results :)
Regarding UK, maybe it is nice country to drive by. But how can I check this out if they drive on the wrong side on road lol.

Welcome to the DashCamTalk Forum, the UK has some of the best scenic country roads in the world, perfect for the A129 Dash Cam!
Suggest you stick with the official VIOFO v1.2 for a week or so before jumping into Firmware MODs. My Modified Firmware doesn't add new features to the MENU yet, instead I've adjusted the data values for features hidden from the MENU.
The A129 is top of the VIOFO line, an excellent Dashcam, wish I had one, enjoy it, use it and learn everything it can do before jumping into the deep end. Read all the Forum messages, follow every link, this is the best place for Dashcam/DVR information. Click my avatar anytime to start a private conversation, checkout my tiny YouTube channel. Thanks for contacting me.

I will take your advice & see how it goes ......waiting for the hardwire kit but in meantime probably get it hooked up to cig adaptor to check things out. Pleased with the unit itself, nice & discreet, I followed your a119 fw vid before going v1.2.......very useful thanks!

Regarding UK, maybe it is nice country to drive by. But how can I check this out if they drive on the wrong side on road lol.
You obviously forget your history!

We drive on the correct side of the road in the UK, like most of your Dutch (ex) colonies still do. It is you that choose to still obey your Emperor Napoleon and drive on the wrong side! Napoleon wanted everyone to drive on the wrong side because he was left handed so used his sword in the wrong hand so when on horseback he had an advantage if he forced everyone else to ride on the wrong side and thus have to use their swords not in the sword hand!

When the Dutch arrived in Indonesia in 1596, they brought along their habit of driving on the left. It wasn’t until Napoleon conquered the Netherlands that the Dutch started driving on the right. Most of their colonies, however, remained on the left as did Indonesia and Suriname.
https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Added MOD-ID numbers to all my future modified firmware releases for quick identification from Dashcam MENU > Firmware Version setting and changed the embedded MP4 "Movie_More" video info tag (currently DEMO1 for 2 years) to represent MOD version.
( 120D07 = Modified Base FW v1.20 / D = A129Duo / 07 = MOD-07 ) Details & Screenshot here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-firmwares.31430/post-424001

Uploaded new FWA129_MOD-07_v1.20+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+DICE.bin for The MOD Squad to test drive.
When more MOD-07 footage from A129 + A119PRO + A119 + A119S is available we need to assess if 27Mbps + Sharp34 + Edge178 is the best crisp image quality before further adjustments.
Anyone prefering same MOD but default Bit Rate or 25Mbps let me know, Thanks for your time.

I have installed FWA129_MOD-05_v1.20+24Mbps+Sharp32+Edge168+DICE.bin but bitrate in PotPlayer shows around 8000 kbps, instead of around 25000?

I have installed FWA129_MOD-05_v1.20+24Mbps+Sharp32+Edge168+DICE.bin but bitrate in PotPlayer shows around 8000 kbps, instead of around 25000?
double checked the A129 MOD-05 bitrate and is 25Mbps, try opening MENU and change resolution from highest to anything, save exit MENU then re-enter MENU and change back to highest RES. The rear camera cannot run 25Mbps its locked limit 18 or 20Mbps (think 18 for A129) which is understandable not needed. While doing all MOD testing disable Wifi since it also produces extra load and heat not wanted on higher bitrate tests, wifi probably throttles bitrate if used while recording (can't confirm don't own one).
Send me a short 1 min clip to check.

Here are both videos - front and rear with the newest firmware 27Mbps, 178 Edge.

Front:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vjUjIE7twY9Jelr-XFwQ3ZM576nNMy2f/view?usp=sharing

Rear:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dOatjp0OVUqIprU_xqar6gS-Gfif2iDe

Both cameras give more less same file size. I noticed that CPL filter from A119 gives darker corners. That's ok, but does it give darker gradient barely noticeable? I mean does it darken image more and more from the middle of the picture? Because I notice that not only purely corners are darkened, but also image closer to the middle of the image too. Is it normal or I have to get bigger CPL filter?

You see reflections on the windshield. Unfortunately this is the best setting of the filter but still there is a problem :)

And last question - does anyone use Potplayer? I noticed it darkens image a bit compared to the Windows Media player, which seems to give more natural look. I tried to reset settings but it didn't give me result:

YxqWeOy.jpg

Last edited:
any CPL is going to cut a bit of light, that's expected
Yes but does degradation of the light level take in normal rate for whole filter area? In another words, does it darken image equally or like gradient style? I mean like this, where in the center there is a bit more light than on on the sides:

a1843961409a40687a09056418bf6132d0d87ca8.png

The filter is equal, the lens will be brighter in the middle, the filter will highlight that to some degree, a bit of vignetting probably makes that seem more significant than it really is

Here are both videos - front and rear with the newest firmware 27Mbps, 178 Edge.

Front:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vjUjIE7twY9Jelr-XFwQ3ZM576nNMy2f/view?usp=sharing

Rear:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dOatjp0OVUqIprU_xqar6gS-Gfif2iDe

Both cameras give more less same file size. I noticed that CPL filter from A119 gives darker corners. That's ok, but does it give darker gradient barely noticeable? I mean does it darken image more and more from the middle of the picture? Because I notice that not only purely corners are darkened, but also image closer to the middle of the image too. Is it normal or I have to get bigger CPL filter?

You see reflections on the windshield. Unfortunately this is the best setting of the filter but still there is a problem :)

And last question - does anyone use Potplayer? I noticed it darkens image a bit compared to the Windows Media player, which seems to give more natural look. I tried to reset settings but it didn't give me result:

YxqWeOy.jpg
Q: specs for A119 video is 16.4Mbps, I never used in my MODs, what firmware is loaded? or is that the A129 Dual smaller camera throttled bitrate?? It looks like over-brightened EV or old FW ? I can create special MOD for that rear Cam.
All video players show slightly different image values depending on presets. To see this in extreme view dashcam footage on large LCD TV, they all sharpen & enhance image based on Picture Mode presets. That A119 CPL is not fitting correctly, remove CPL and look at Lens at 90degree angle and note if glass bubble extends beyond plastic housing and could be touching the CPL filter. The current dash reflections could be caused by the windshield angle and the very bright rear dash, try cutting a dark cloth and lay over that back surface, when done well there is no need for CPL, or CPL slightly out of alignment (even 1.0 degree will be noticeable).

Q: specs for A119 video is 16.4Mbps, I never used in my MODs, what firmware is loaded? or is that the A129 Dual smaller camera throttled bitrate?? It looks like over-brightened EV or old FW ? I can create special MOD for that rear Cam.
I loaded firmware from your Google Drive. It was for A129, 27Mbps, Edge 178 if I remember correctly. It is no longer visible I see.
The EV is set at 0, I use CPL. This cam does not support HDR like A119 does (by software) so pic is gonna be burned sometimes.

It seems that double cam throttles bitrate down.

You obviously forget your history!

We drive on the correct side of the road in the UK, like most of your Dutch (ex) colonies still do. It is you that choose to still obey your Emperor Napoleon and drive on the wrong side! Napoleon wanted everyone to drive on the wrong side because he was left handed so used his sword in the wrong hand so when on horseback he had an advantage if he forced everyone else to ride on the wrong side and thus have to use their swords not in the sword hand!

Hehehe lol but today we have no need for swords, heck, we have no need for them since minimum 100 years. Other countries progressed, UK not :p I am sure in the future you will switch to normal side of the road :)

A129 firmware ready for Beta Testing MOD-7g August 23, 2018 9pm
Located in > Beta MODs > Beta Combos > FWA129_MOD-7g_v1.20+27Mbps+Sharp34+Edge178+Satg.bin

Saturation image control can now be modified.
This should be a Stable version but placed in Beta box for testing. Compared the Saturation levels between the 4 Dashcam models, A129 had much higher settings, almost double. Notice color differences, not as red, blue, green, yellow, white ... feedback is needed on your opinion in lowering Saturation for A129. The F1.6 brighter Lens may require higher Saturation to compensate for increased light levels. Hope the image looks better.

DOWNLOAD A129 Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html

Last edited:
Sharing your MOD test footage is very helpful in determining adjustment levels. When possible drive the same route when comparing two different firmware MODs.
Suggest using several small 32-64GB microSD-cards, each with different renamed MOD file saved to root. Drive predetermined test route then park, power off DVR, change cards, power on, update MOD, Default Settings, change presets to Beta Testing Setup = CPL on if available, 1min clips, 1080P@30fps, EV=0, WDR off, Camera Model Stamp on.

Last edited:
Moderator will shortly move all related Modified Firmware posts and shared footage to this new thread location, then he will make me walk the plank for not planning ahead.
@administrator , Thank you for your help during this time of influx and chaos.

Last edited:
Back