VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Created new A129Duo - STABLE version 4Uf with default Hue color & Saturation for improved low light detail recommended and verified by @tedmault DCTeam member.
Also included @BC Rural 's suggestion for customized Microphone-Off icon ico_233-v2.png to improve visibility when pressing the MIC button. (appended late in the day)
See post #1 of this thread for details and ChangeLog.

FWA129_MOD-4Uf_v1.42+24Mbps+Sharp123+Edge132+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-jnG4ZnMFUk50uq-Nj3H-U17FCBw-cIl

Last edited:
4UF just bricked my cam for second time. Your betas were ok. Stables brick my cam. Hopefully factory firmware will unbrick.
I used the one from the link above your post and it worked perfectly on mine just in case.

4UF just bricked my cam for second time. Your betas were ok. Stables brick my cam. Hopefully factory firmware will unbrick.
Thanks for the report, I just double checked the A129Duo link copy and original 4Uf binary both work perfectly, verified by another DCTeam member.
Possible corrupted download from online archive, download two different copies and verify file size is the same.
When updating the A129 you MUST disconnect the rear camera and wait for dashcam to restart and displays new logo.
I don't recommend using power-bank for firmware updates, some power banks cut power if not enough draw is detected at end of flash update process.
Let me know if it occurs again.

I apologize @BCHobbyist ...it's false alarm

When i put sd card into viofo cam it moves whole cam few MM out of the position of GPS power bracket unit which in turn disconnects power from the cam which in turn looks like a bricked cam after putting new firmware in.

When i move the cam back into position to the left in the bracket it powers up and upgrades just fine. My apologies. It looked like a brick but it's incidental power loss due to insertion of sdcard into cam which moves out out of power connections on GPS bracket unit. Same thing happened first time also.

I'm back onto 4UF now. Thanks for your work on the firmware.

MOD-4Ue
Decent performance in low light despite using a CPL.
y4mkmhh3Ts4vB-WgcE9_7fMNYguOXHL0iu9N_lj24vMg6tZLBX9VbPE-dVyAtfLGahHpt7vQwry8PVIbBmaTpvguhgKKk8O0iBekuXNfQZsm7aG6_sBY_F5KF2crYo5XwUAOCQPwvuMPKfZkveZ7HBOJateFCnwp5wnPJV0MKt2V3iX5Bu56jy2UFa82lj_ztgQ5WY45glDtgny56D5YZ1mhw

y4mfrfHEK4PtRu4DYLY8BTh8Ja5uOKRE38yRHDHNK8DRrbaji6y7Hx3kzyOHMlHBiIU9YpH_g5T2p0dkgZJTEj6JIWNraabzt5MmLnUXAFyXg7g3eDky1ZAP7kPc7sb90sMTo4llG6p5VWtkW5403w12RtKktiepbvv5Q3DWXIArdCFAzoqZH3tLOZ-c6x9gAyeiqTEuSLU87qc5c5gtnlYyg

y4mcylE1yeV-Cqm8O2YohB0Cc41M50D2tw06d3YWjuCI6xqpMxpLKE9UekdKIpxpIt6v94aFzLqdvqqtSivl9j6OJIb8SaTakee3CKGx6W-ot5y7qRRcFBlmawx4kBooD5bHe7uwWvZHue3p8t4ncOrY6L58dmQnJ2_-4M_7XkB2p32KbPTi5yyhUpFWM_1ZpNLvHojk824ZQWRbkzn_kdl3w

Anyone hearing some buzzing noise in the audio after updating to .4uf?

Will try to include a video later today

Anyone hearing some buzzing noise in the audio after updating to .4uf?

Will try to include a video later today
No audio noise or hum here using 4Uf.
Audio hum or noise in recorded video can be caused many ways, feedback from power source, poor cable construction, bad power connection, vibration, wifi interference. Troubleshoot using official firmware to determine if its software or hardware related. The short USB power cables can introduce hum or even your hand while holding the power cable.

If it occurs only in the vehicle while on the mount with any Firmware suspect the cable run. Cables to close to another or near radio or other DVR cables can pickup noise. Always use the original cables then swap out to confirm. When loading modified firmware suggest always Reset using MENU > Default Settings once flash update is finished.

roll back to release firmware and see how it compares, if the noise is still there it might not be firmware related
I still have some videos on my memory card that's recorded on the release firmware prior to update to 4uf. will check them back

No audio noise or hum here using 4Uf.
Audio hum or noise in recorded video can be caused many ways, feedback from power source, poor cable construction, bad power connection, vibration, wifi interference. Troubleshoot using official firmware to determine if its software or hardware related. The short USB power cables can introduce hum or even your hand while holding the power cable.

If it occurs only in the vehicle while on the mount with any Firmware suspect the cable run. Cables to close to another or near radio or other DVR cables can pickup noise. Always use the original cables then swap out to confirm. When loading modified firmware suggest always Reset using MENU > Default Settings once flash update is finished.
I'm using the original long USB cable, dashcam is hardwired. Already done the default setting part after update

i will go back and check videos recorded from the previous release fw since I still have a few of those

Running Stable 4Uf and here is a short bit showing this mod with a CPL and without a CPL.

I think I could get more reflection to be hidden but would be Friday if I even get around to doing it, cos as you'll see it's pretty decent where the setting is now on the left hand video.

Conditions were different weather wise and time wise, but you can see the advantage of the CPL, and the effect of using one on image quality.

The camera was angled a bit to much down on the CPL clip, but I have now set it to the same as the right hand video for future use.

RAW FILE CLICK HERE

Paul.

Last edited:
There seems to be a noticeable motion blur from the incoming traffic (for example, the license plate of the black Citroen van in the right footage at 00:00:15). Is it due to firmware, or it's a camera limitation?

Most cameras will see blurriness in lower light.

After some time of break due to another matters I just loaded newest software. It is nice but I don't think there will be significant (or noticeable) quality gain anymore because capped bitrate ruins effects. Viofo for some reason, guess technical, limited bitrate to 16 Mbit and this is quite low for driving, complex scenes.
As always I am happy to see improvements and wish to thank mod developer for making better firmware :)

After some time of break due to another matters I just loaded newest software. It is nice but I don't think there will be significant (or noticeable) quality gain anymore because capped bitrate ruins effects. Viofo for some reason, guess technical, limited bitrate to 16 Mbit and this is quite low for driving, complex scenes.
As always I am happy to see improvements and wish to thank mod developer for making better firmware :)
A129Duo has more room for IQ improvements, I've only just begun adjustments and VIOFO will increase Bit Rate limit or I will by unlocking it. Just because a Dashcam has Wifi doesn't mean Owner must use it and suffer reduced IQ, disable Wifi for better image quality after limit is raised.

DOWNLOAD BCHobbyist A129DUO Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=19l3yGyvkrRZMiyRBJVw7oGCFUcNWheYa
DOWNLOAD A119S Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fZcd7vuglroUOsL0lHClORbclbXQqLv
DOWNLOAD A119 Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d47InQ8qHSkZCgVfxersR1gflsd3hQTN
DOWNLOAD A119PRO Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=13l_iCWCDkfbS895arQXlRJZNu64sCtS1

BCHobbyist will build your Custom A119PRO, A119, A119S, A129 Firmware MOD
select Bit Rate = default or 27, 26, 25, 24, 20, 15
select Sharpness = default(64) or 48, 37, 32, 27, 16
select Edge Detection = default(128) or 28, 68, 128, 228
select Firmware Menu Date & Version = default or for fun
select Sound Quality = default 32kHz or 44.1kHz CD quality
select Logo = default or custom 320x240 text or JPG graphic

Send MOD Requests by clicking my DashCamTalk Avatar to Start private Conversation, Contact me on BCHobbyist YouTube Channel.
The DICE Logo was added to demonstrate images can be used, and separate MOD'ed from official.
Sharpness MODs
Sharpness value (1-100) has been modified from official 64 down to 48 / 37 / 32 / 27 / 16 to reduce halo over-sharpening effect.

BitRate MODs
Increased BitRate to 27Mbps, 24Mbps, 20Mbps for both 60 & 30FPS. The higher the number the more load on processor/chipset resulting in more heat. Benefit is reduced pixelation on complex patterns such as road, buildings, trees, sky.

Edge Detection MODs
Edge Detection default value 128 modified to 28 / 68 / 168 / 228 . Correctly combined with Sharpness improves object definition without halo effect.
Video comparisons indicate improved object definition after combining Sharp32+Edge168, Download MOD from (( Custom MODs )) folder.

Sound MODs
Increased sample rate from 32kHz to 44.1kHz 16 bit depth for CD quality.

Contrast, Saturation, Hue, Brightness, White Balance MODs
>>>>>> working on it <<<<<<
More video quality improvements on the way, Thanks for the support.
Thank you for this firmware! I just tested it this morning on quite difficult conditions - dark (way darker in reality than in the videos), foggy and with some drizzle.
There is almost no glare, which is awesome, and the white balance is better than anything I tested. Kudos for the hard work!

Last edited:
Thank you for this firmware! I just tested it this morning on quite difficult conditions - dark (way darker in reality than in the videos), foggy and with some drizzle.
There is almost no glare, which is awesome, and the white balance is better than anything I tested. Kudos for the hard work!

Great A129Duo 4Uf 24Mbps night footage, this Stable modified firmware only adjusts 3 image quality controls Bit Rate, Sharpness & Edge Detection. Unfortunately due to Wifi and rear camera demands the bit rate is limited to 24Mbps and drops to 20 single cam then 16 with Wifi enabled. thanks for sharing your clips.
Currently working on A119Pro , A119 & A119S enhanced IQ adjustments then apply them to A129Duo for improved video quality. Side Project is to disable Wifi and increase Bit Rate to 25.6Mbps to Front camera and 20Mbps on Rear camera to match other models quality. Next Project is increase "Wifi On" Front camera to 23.6Mbps and Rear 18Mbps instead of current 8Mbps & 7Mbps manually set to 16 & 16 the maximum supported "Wifi On" limit. In my opinion the Front camera should always have higher BitRate then Rear camera. Before those A129Duo Projects will adjust Sharpness, Edge Detection, Brightness, Saturation for enhanced IQ without Bit Rate increase.

Hello, i am Mike from Germany and new here.
Can i install the 4Uf Version for my new A129Duo, when i have this Hardwired Kit (Picture below)
Do not believe that this have a Battery Guard. The Hardwire Kit was Installed at Car Hifi Workshop, because i have
no idea of the matter from this Electronic. They have also installed a Switch in the glove box to turn the Cam on and off,and cut if completely from electricity.
The Cam works perfect.

Is your Mod Firmware also Translated in German?
Is the Camera getting hotter due to the Firmware Modification ?
Does the Bluetooth Button works with your Mod FW?
Does the App works mit this ModFW or can't work together?

Do I have to pay attention to anything else, when i have installed it?

Thanks and Best Regards Mike

Screenshot, 09.11.2018-1.jpg

Last edited:
the modified firmwares are image related adjustments, they won't change the basic functions of the camera as you have it now, any higher bitrates will add a bit more heat though

Hello, i am Mike from Germany and new here.
Can i install the 4Uf Version for my new A129Duo, when i have this Hardwired Kit (Picture below)
Do not believe that this have a Battery Guard. The Hardwire Kit was Installed at Car Hifi Workshop, because i have
no idea of the matter from this Elektronic. The Cam works perfect.

Is your Mod Firmware also Translated in German?
Is the Camera getting hotter due to the Firmware Modification ?
Does the Bluetooth Button works with your Mod FW?
Does the App works mit this ModFW or can't work together?

Do I have to pay attention to anything else, when i have installed it?

Thanks and Best Regards Mike

View attachment 43014
Welcome to the Forum,
  1. German Menu now works.
  2. 4Uf = 24Mbps , official = 20Mbps no risk of heat damage.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.
  1. Bluetooth Button works normally on all MODs.
  2. Smartphone APP using Wifi always lowers Bitrate when enabled even using my MODs.
BUT very soon this will change since my MODs will raise the Bitrate while Wifi is on.
5) rename 4Uf binary file
FWA129_MOD-4Uf_v1.42+24Mbps+Sharp123+Edge132+DCTeam.bin ====> FWA129.bin
then Update using normal procedure.

A129Duo Tip: when using Wifi APP > Menu Settings > Bitrate > select HIGH > save settings = 16Mbps with Wifi connected.

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist: Thank you for your Reply and Infos. I have now your latest Version installed. All works incl. my today arrived Bluetooth Button.
Thank you for your Time and Work.
I will look now Frequently here. Best Regards from Germany
Wish all here a nice weekend.

Back