A129 Parking Mode

jomanjee

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I have been doing a lot of tests recently in parking mode, i can get easily 24 Hours+ on parking mode using a 20,000 mAh powerbank which sounds great, but while i really liked the performance of the camera, image of the front cam and power consumption I really hate how the camera creates over 100+ video files on parking mode whether am on Time Lapse or even he Low Bitrate... Whats is the point of this ?? I have set the maximum video size to 10 Minutes in settings but really unsure if that helps !... also am pretty sure its Not related to the SD Card File System, because i know for sure you can go probably over 4 GB+ per file on FAT/32, I get 100+ files each 120 MB~, is there is a way to get fewer files ?

As a side observation, how do you know if someone bumped into your car when looking at 100+ files ? does the g-sensor really work and lock files ? for me it sounds like a placebo !...

I also noticed the Motion Detection mode, and while i know its Not buffered, i decided to give it a shot, is it a good idea to use motion detection while parked in an average Neighborhood ? Camera will be frequently recording a video every minute or so, is this a good idea or will it have any negative effects on the cam or the storage media on the longer run ?

Last edited:
Lots of good questions, I will be following this one. I am still looking for the perfect dashcam, and from reading there is not one to be had yet.
Parking mode is the most important feature for me, and there are lots of issues, not always the camera, bad SD cards, bad hard wire kits, bad battery’s. All these come into the mix

Just tried today it seems like Super Sensitive Motion Detection did indeed lock one file, thankfully the camera mistook a normal road imperfection to an accident and decided to lock a file, so ya i guess it works !... at least while driving !...

Motion detection also seems fine but not really buffered and wont start recording IMMEDIATELY when an object appears, maybe 1/2 the time when the object has came into the FOV of the cam. so not gonna depend on this completely !

any thoughts why is the camera creating Multiple files instead of one ? Is there is a way to minimize this issue ? maybe the custom FW does that or not really ??

Just tried today it seems like Super Sensitive Motion Detection did indeed lock one file, thankfully the camera mistook a normal road imperfection to an accident and decided to lock a file, so ya i guess it works !... at least while driving !...

Motion detection also seems fine but not really buffered and wont start recording IMMEDIATELY when an object appears, maybe 1/2 the time when the object has came into the FOV of the cam. so not gonna depend on this completely !

any thoughts why is the camera creating Multiple files instead of one ? Is there is a way to minimize this issue ? maybe the custom FW does that or not really ??
Multiple files? Can you elaborate?

Multiple files? Can you elaborate?

the viofo creates multiple video files when loop recording or even when in parking mode, was wondering what is the point of that ?? and whether it is possible to have less of these instead of 100+ videos on the camera every morning i browse it from overnight !... what is the point of this anyways ???

the viofo creates multiple video files when loop recording or even when in parking mode, was wondering what is the point of that ?? and whether it is possible to have less of these instead of 100+ videos on the camera every morning i browse it from overnight !... what is the point of this anyways ???
It is so that when it locks a file it only locks a small amount and thus doesn't fill the card with only locked files.
That is how the loop recording works.
If you use a dashcam viewer to view the files then it shouldn't matter, they should play as one.

Your talking about parking mode files only correct? If your using Auto Event Detection Mode, the motion detection can pick up subtle movements, even slight changes in light.

It is so that when it locks a file it only locks a small amount and thus doesn't fill the card with only locked files.
That is how the loop recording works.
If you use a dashcam viewer to view the files then it shouldn't matter, they should play as one.

that makes sense, but what if i wouldn't care less about locked files ? am using low bitrate or even time lapse to record footage outside my car for the whole night regardless if sensors detected anything or not, cant the camera create a single file and get over with it ? are all cams the same ??...

thanks for suggesting dashcam viewer, i never heard of that till now !...

But even with low bitrate you are interested in locked files, if you leave it parked for a week then when you get back the loop recording will have overwritten most of the files, but the locked ones containing the 7 collisions your car was involved in will still be there and easy to find in the event folder!

(You would need a good solar panel to keep the battery charged!)

Your talking about parking mode files only correct? If your using Auto Event Detection Mode, the motion detection can pick up subtle movements, even slight changes in light.
mostly yes, coz while driving i can tell if something goes wrong and Manually lock the file on my own, but the huge trouble is after 24 Hours monitoring with time lapse or low bitrate in Parking Mode, the thing will create maybe 500+ files and that's kinda annoying and unreliable, am planning to do the following steps on daily basis (maybe become a routine):-

1) connect via wifi to the camera and download the footage from past 24 Hours...
2) Merge files and keep them stored on a Home Storage for 7-14 days in case I need to refer back to them for a reason or another...
3) Reformat the card on daily basis (128 GB, gets full over 24 Hours of continuous low-bitrate monitoring *tested*
repeat every day...

Is it possible to connect to the cam via from a Laptop via Wi-Fi instead of my phone to simply pull the files from the vehicle or I have to strictly rely on my phone for this matter ??...

This seems like the most feasible way for me to make use of the dash cam while in parking mode, and yeah its a pain for some people, but for me it will become more of a daily routine to help me spot any Abusers while am away from my car, wish it had pre-buffered recording though this would be really helpful and reliable !...

Thanks,

But even with low bitrate you are interested in locked files, if you leave it parked for a week then when you get back the loop recording will have overwritten most of the files, but the locked ones containing the 7 collisions your car was involved in will still be there and easy to find in the event folder!

(You would need a good solar panel to keep the battery charged!)

no chance me leaving the car parked for a week, as I have already invested in Two powerbank 20,000 mAh(s) and not planning to invest in something else (not at this stage), so i came with a daily routine how to handle this task, not sure though if it is possible somehow to connect to the cam (coz it got a really good wifi range and average speed) from a Laptop instead of a phone...!?!?

btw atm am testing with just 1 FPS time lapse on 20,000 mAh, maybe we can get two days out of that, am not sure ... :rolleyes:

You'll need to use your camera every second day if you're wanting to download 24 hours of footage over wifi, alternate days will be needed to wait for your download to finish

Perhaps consider getting a second memory card and swap them out each day

It does, you need to use Auto Event Detection mode for buffered recordings.

Unfortunately it doesn't
viofo.com/en/home/79-72-a129-duo-dual-channel-5ghz-wi-fi-full-hd-dash-camera.html#/25-gps_module-included

Back