A129 Plus Duo crashes with HEVC in 1440p 60fps

benjos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ8 Pro, Rexing V1P Max, Dome D201, Xiaomi Yi
I experience my A129 Plus Duo crashing with H265 HEVC in 1440p 60fps (in 76 F weather) where it shuts down after recording for 15 seconds and then powers on again (which takes another 15 seconds) and records and shuts down again (and repeats)? I also have WDR enabled. I haven't tried disabling WDR yet. The camera records fine in H264 1440p 60fps (and the rear records fine in 1080p). Also I'm not using the Viofo 12v plug for USB power since I have another USB plug available although it possibly may not be 2.1A plug. I'm using the VIofo USB wires. I forgot what version of firmware I'm on. I think there was a "3" in the version or version date so I think I'm on v1.3 or March 2021. I'll have to check the version later.

For the microSD card I use SanDisk High Endurance 256 GB.

Are people actually able to record with the A129 Plus Duo in H265 HEVC in 1440p 60fps while both front and rear cameras are recording?

use the supplied power adapter and test, your problems sounded either memory or power related, your card is suitable but you're using a questionable power supply so I'd start there anyway

Viofo cams are power-hungry; you must use the supplied PS's with them or a PS and cables that meet or exceed the needs, which most non-Viofo PS's do not do. It's no longer enough to think that a system which ran another cam means it will run any cam ;)

Phil

Using the Viofo 12v USB adapter plugged into my 3-in-1 12v adapter solves the issue mostly. I had two files (one for front and one for rear) out of 116 files that were partial recordings where I lost 5 seconds and those files had a suffix with "PR" and "PF". Those occurred in 69 F weather. The other files were recording successfully even when it was 100 F outside but with the air conditioning on in the car. I also disabled WDR so not sure if that made any difference. I forgot to check what firmware version I'm on.

I was running firmware v1.5 (20210315). The Viofo web site has a v1.5 with newer build date (20210515). The USB plug in my 3-in-1 has 2.4A and 1A plugs and the one that it was plugged into was only 1A.

Back