A129 Plus Duo freezing issues (with troubleshooting & findings)

Lostinav

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been having the same freezing issues that many here have posted about (and it looks like an issue that has gone on for at least 2 years now).

I just got an A129 Plus Duo and was getting the issue, almost always when switching from normal to parking mode. Had to unplug, wait for the unit to shut off, then plug back in to restart the device.

Background:
- Hardwired using Viofo's 3-wire kit and tapped into tested fuses for parking mode power (hazard lights) and normal power (rear wiper)
- Had it set on time lapse recording, later tried auto detect mode
- Rear camera plugged in
- Selected 2K ultrawide mode @ 30fps (1440P 30FPS 21:9 / 1080P 30FPS)
- Low bitrate, WiFi off
- Samsung 128GB high endurance card
- Firmware is latest listed on Viofo's site (v1.5 build 20210515)
- Always set things like time, date, time zone, change speed units, speed off for stamp, etc

Things I tried:
- Different bitrates
- Parking mode from auto detection to time lapse to low bitrate
- Loop recording at 1min, 3min, 5min
- Reformatting card using the device
- Reset camera/device settings
- Power via GPS unit and directly into device
- Default resolution (1440P 30FPS / 1080P 30FPS, not ultradwide)

Findings:
- Almost always freezes/crashes when switching to parking mode or from parking mode with ultrawide resolution, within 2-3 seconds of turning the car off
- Regular 2K resolution works longer, but eventually freezes/crashes (within a day), with auto detection mode, it managed to work overnight, but froze at some point the next day after parking
- Without rear camera plugged in, appears to switch fine even with ultrawide resolution

I am currently doing a test with low bitrate parking mode, and it appears to be working.

Have others been able to find settings or a fix for this that lets them use ultrawide? I guess I can live without but it would be nice to have. Now what I can't live with is the rear camera having to be unplugged for it not to freeze, because that would defeat the purpose of the "duo" model, same for going lower than 1440p for the front cam. I've seen mention of using a PC/computer tool to reformat the microSD card, has that fixed this issue for people? I saw reports from one user where it didn't do anything.

Also saw that Viofo is aware of some problem with the parking mode, any word on if/when it'll be fixed or should we just give up? I just bought this so could potentially return and get a different camera, but I generally like the features of the A129 Plus Duo, if they would work.

Thanks!

Hello,

Is the front cam still working with the rear cam disconnected?

Hello,

Is the front cam still working with the rear cam disconnected?

The front cam appears to work with the rear cam disconnected, but haven't tested it for a long period to see if it eventually freezes.

The low bitrate test failed, it froze with the blinking red "REC" light within 6-12 hours in parking mode, and it failed again also after I reformatted my card again using the SDcard.org tool.

If this is a card issue, what is the cause? Is it a physical hardware issue (bad memory chips, etc?) or a problem that software can fix? I am using one of the recommended high endurance cards, the Samsung Pro Endurance U1 128gb. Is there a different one that would fix this issue?

It seems like an issue with the defective rear cable. Please do a long-time test with the rear cam disconnected and let me know the result.

Or you can directly ask the seller for a replacement for the rear cable. As you just bought this dashcam for few days.

Last edited:
It seems like an issue with the defective rear cable. Please do a long-time test with the rear cam disconnected and let me know the result.

Or you can directly ask the seller for a replacement for the rear cable. As you just bought this dashcam for few days.

So far the overnight test with rear camera disconnected appears successful, the camera looks to still be working.

Is it just the cable that would be the problem, or also the rear camera? I don't quite understand how a cable can be defective so often.

Thanks for your replies and support.

Just another suggestion. Try using other fuses and seeing if the issue goes away. Modern Cars often use Canbus and fuses can be tied to other systems. Even when the manual states only a single system being on the fuse.

Example:

Hardwiring my A129 Duo, I had it tapped into 12V Console. Nothing else sat on that fuse for ACC. Well when I'd turn off camera, I kept realizing the camera would turn itself on afterwards. Apparently the 12V Console was tied to the Alarm System (not mentioned in manual) and caused other erratic behavior.

I don't know what vehicle you drive, but try utilizing like Power Seats (if nothing else is on that fuse) for Battery and another fuse for ACC.

So far the overnight test with rear camera disconnected appears successful, the camera looks to still be working.

Is it just the cable that would be the problem, or also the rear camera? I don't quite understand how a cable can be defective so often.

Thanks for your replies and support.
The previous version's rear cable often causes this kind of problem. That one you're using seems to be of that version. we've improved the newest rear cable to make it more compatible with the dashcam. So I recommend getting a new replacement.

The previous version's rear cable often causes this kind of problem. That one you're using seems to be of that version. we've improved the newest rear cable to make it more compatible with the dashcam. So I recommend getting a new replacement.
Thank you, will try to get a replacement. Has the new version fixed issues with WiFi and the app as well? I was never able to login to download videos.

Do you use the app on a phone? The app isn't compatible with tablets. And it's no need to log in to use the app.

Do you use the app on a phone? The app isn't compatible with tablets. And it's no need to log in to use the app.
I only tried on an iPhone, I meant "connect to the app", when I said "login". Thanks

Hi Lostinav,

Were you able to find the solution for the freezing? I am also facing the same with my A129 Plus Duo.

Back