A129 Plus Duo Parking Mode: does the rear camera also have motion detection ability?

Dan S

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking about getting one. I know that the front camera has the motion detection ability during parking mode. Just would like to know whether or not the rear camera also be able to detection motion and further trigger recording independently?

When I had buffered parking programmed on mine - yes, both front and rear cameras picked up motion and started recording 30-sec clips.
However, the buffered parking mode caused the camera system to lock up - - so I've since changed it to low bitrate recording while parked, and have had
no problems with it since.

Not as nice or convenient of course - but no more freeze ups.

Yep seem to be a unresolved bug in that parking mode, it would not worry me as i would not use motion detect in any dashcam, i use always recording low bitrate.
Which at least in the SG9663DR camera i use it in are sufficient to pick up a plate on a passing car when my car are parked curbside ( i was a little nervous low bitrate would be bad in this regard but it work fine providing of course there are enough light to make the capture )

In that parking mode my DR camera generate 2 X 108 MB files every 3 minutes, so loosely 30 minutes of parking is a little over 2 GB memory card space.
Also i have G - sensor on meanwhile, but due to the way i have my main unit "installed" it take a almighty shunt to set it off as the main unit with the G - sensor are not mounted to something rigid, but drop a match on the main unit and G - sensor do go off.

These buffered 30 second clips have always worried me, and so i have kept away from using parking mode / the DR i was sent for testing was also the first time i have been able to test this, cuz as a tester i must of course test every aspect of a camera i am sent.
And the DR system come from the factory with a hard wire kit as it is a system meant for hiding the main unit and so a cigarette lighter plug power supply do not work at least not if it have to be stealthy too and have parking mode.

Also as i drive a small car with a small battery, i have the parking mode timer set to 1 hour, this cover all my shopping and at home i have CCTV on my parked car so parking mode would be wasted in the pitch black back yard where i park my car.
Also these days my car are often covered in a thin layer of snow, enough that the cameras would see nothing but a white "wall"

Last edited:
When I had buffered parking programmed on mine - yes, both front and rear cameras picked up motion and started recording 30-sec clips.
However, the buffered parking mode caused the camera system to lock up - - so I've since changed it to low bitrate recording while parked, and have had
no problems with it since.

Not as nice or convenient of course - but no more freeze ups.
It looks like that A129 Plus Duo does not support buffered parking so far (no pre-recording before any event). Don't know whether this function will be enabled in a future firmware. Your description also means that the "motion detection" parking mode causes A129 Plus Duo system crash. What a pain!

Yep seem to be a unresolved bug in that parking mode, it would not worry me as i would not use motion detect in any dashcam, i use always recording low bitrate.
Which at least in the SG9663DR camera i use it in are sufficient to pick up a plate on a passing car when my car are parked curbside ( i was a little nervous low bitrate would be bad in this regard but it work fine providing of course there are enough light to make the capture )

In that parking mode my DR camera generate 2 X 108 MB files every 3 minutes, so loosely 30 minutes of parking is a little over 2 GB memory card space.
Also i have G - sensor on meanwhile, but due to the way i have my main unit "installed" it take a almighty shunt to set it off as the main unit with the G - sensor are not mounted to something rigid, but drop a match on the main unit and G - sensor do go off.

These buffered 30 second clips have always worried me, and so i have kept away from using parking mode / the DR i was sent for testing was also the first time i have been able to test this, cuz as a tester i must of course test every aspect of a camera i am sent.
And the DR system come from the factory with a hard wire kit as it is a system meant for hiding the main unit and so a cigarette lighter plug power supply do not work at least not if it have to be stealthy too and have parking mode.

Also as i drive a small car with a small battery, i have the parking mode timer set to 1 hour, this cover all my shopping and at home i have CCTV on my parked car so parking mode would be wasted in the pitch black back yard where i park my car.
Also these days my car are often covered in a thin layer of snow, enough that the cameras would see nothing but a white "wall"

The motion-triggered recording during parking mode saves a lot of time reviewing video footages in case of something happens. This also records detailed video, not at low bitrate. For all the recordings in years, you probably only need to save few minutes of video from them. The rest is just overwritten with new video. My opinion is to have the best video recorded if it is possible.

The A129 Plus had the buffered parking mode removed in the latest firmware due to issues, but there is still an Auto Event Detection Mode, which activates on motion or g-sensor. It just won't hold the 10 seconds prior to the event in a buffer, so it will not be written to the card.

Reactions: Mtz
Indeed if you can get it to not record too much, which are often a problem if you use motion detect.
Unlike my new IP camera the dashcams do not have smart motion detect, so often any little thing can set it off, and also often changing to less sensitive settings do not do much.

Granted my setup using G-sensor, it might not pick up a little door ding on a parking lot, so i am fortunate i drive a old and now paid for car where i wont be destroyed when i spot yet another dent in it.
But dont get me wrong people that do that should get nailed and pay, i just dont have too high hopes my dashcam s will be able to do that, even if i also enabled parking mode on my 2 side cameras for a 360 coverage, CUZ it is not really coverage really close up to my car, have to be a few feet out before i can see / identify anything going on.

The looking down the side cameras of a Tesla would be excellent in capturing those parking lot door dings.
Which are also often documented on the "wham bam Tesla cam" youtube channel.

I am also planning on getting wider FOV lenses for my side cameras, but i dont think i will enable parking guard for those.

Of course when i strike it big in the lottery and i go dream car shopping, well then things will change for any # 2 and #3 car, not for my primary dream car as that is a 12 - 15 ton APC which they can try and dent all they like as long as they dont break out sledgehammers to put cracks in my bulletproof windows.

Last edited:
The A129 Plus had the buffered parking mode removed in the latest firmware due to issues, but there is still an Auto Event Detection Mode, which activates on motion or g-sensor. It just won't hold the 10 seconds prior to the event in a buffer, so it will not be written to the card.
It looks like that what DToX9 experienced during the buffered parking mode is one of (?) issues for A129 Plus previous buffered-parking mode firmware.

It looks like that what DToX9 experienced during the buffered parking mode is one of (?) issues for A129 Plus previous buffered-parking mode firmware.
Yes, that could be the issue they were seeing.

Indeed if you can get it to not record too much, which are often a problem if you use motion detect.
Unlike my new IP camera the dashcams do not have smart motion detect, so often any little thing can set it off, and also often changing to less sensitive settings do not do much.

Granted my setup using G-sensor, it might not pick up a little door ding on a parking lot, so i am fortunate i drive a old and now paid for car where i wont be destroyed when i spot yet another dent in it.
But dont get me wrong people that do that should get nailed and pay, i just dont have too high hopes my dashcam s will be able to do that, even if i also enabled parking mode on my 2 side cameras for a 360 coverage, CUZ it is not really coverage really close up to my car, have to be a few feet out before i can see / identify anything going on.

The looking down the side cameras of a Tesla would be excellent in capturing those parking lot door dings.
Which are also often documented on the "wham bam Tesla cam" youtube channel.

I am also planning on getting wider FOV lenses for my side cameras, but i dont think i will enable parking guard for those.

Of course when i strike it big in the lottery and i go dream car shopping, well then things will change for any # 2 and #3 car, not for my primary dream car as that is a 12 - 15 ton APC which they can try and dent all they like as long as they dont break out sledgehammers to put cracks in my bulletproof windows.
It is good to have at lease two vehicles, one for shopping mall parking lot and the other is only for from work to home garage.

Not a option in my pay bracket, in Denmark you pretty much pay for 2 cars but only get one, like we also pay for 1 gallon of gasoline but only get a liter.
Due to the ever loving taxes :mad:

Back