A129 Plus duo thoughts after installing

shockwave199

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I like it, lol. For one, the ios app is unusable from what I tried getting the camera set up at the computer. Maybe it works better in the car? Haven't tried it yet. The biggest lesson I learned is even though your previous dash camera power cable from another brand fits and works, it probably won't work out well. The camera had trouble with the rear camera and looked to be kinda fade blinking in live view. Classic sign of starved for power. Conceded and ran the viofo power cable to the front camera and all is well. Pictures are great so far. Not happy with only sticky tape as the front camera isn't exactly light for tape duty. That won't last. They need to get a suction mount in the works. They come off sometimes too but at least there isn't tape residue on the glass. And absolutely for sure this thing needs the cpl filter, more than any other dash cam I've had previously. I'll be getting that. The reflection is terrible. Must be the wedge design. I don't like not being able to keep the screen on full time and I don't like the small lcd. Very tough to aim this thing and without the app, you're outa luck. Maybe andriod users have better luck with the app. I do like that the camera slides off the GPS base easily so it's easy dismount when needed. And also, they need to add the ability to come out of pc mode on a computer so you can adjust settings if needed. I suppose the only way would be to remove the SD card first. All in all I like the dual camera a ton and glad I have it.

Also I see jpeg pics on the card. Any way to disable that? Not even sure why it's saving pics. I don't see a menu for that.

Not even sure why it's saving pics. I don't see a menu for that.
Should do that if you press the menu button while recording. There is also a button in the app.

And also, they need to add the ability to come out of pc mode on a computer so you can adjust settings if needed.
Just plug it into a phone charger or powerbank.

Very tough to aim this thing and without the app, you're outa luck.
Maybe you need a magnifying glass? It is easier to see on the app.

Not happy with only sticky tape as the front camera isn't exactly light for tape duty
The sticky tape is more than adequate, if you are having difficulty then you haven't cleaned and degreased the glass adequately.

the ios app is unusable from what I tried getting the camera set up at the computer
I've never tried the app while connected to a computer, wouldn't expect it to work. Just plug it into a charger/powerbank and it will work fine.

All in all I like the dual camera a ton and glad I have it.
:)

Not happy with only sticky tape as the front camera isn't exactly light for tape duty
If the glass is cleaned properly and if the tape is not contaminated with oily finger prints, lint or dust, I bet that dashcam will never fall of on its own. Make sure you apply plenty of force to eliminate or push away any air bubbles between the tape and glass as much as possible. That tape is extremely sticky and extremely good that often some people come here for advice on how to remove it without breaking the glass or destroying the mount base.. There are techniques on how to remove it fairly easy.
I personally try to avoid those suction cups as they make a bulky setup, introduce unwanted vibration to the image and yes, they tend to fall off occasionally. I had one of those before. They only reason I would use one is if I ned to transfer the unit between vehicles in a regular basis but I don't have the need to do that, so I opted the permanent install. I have never had a unit fall off using the tape even in the hottest Texas summer days.

Thanks for that. I absolutely cleaned well before sticking it on. It feels solid. From the outside of the front glass it doesn't look like the whole pad adhered but I wouldn't press the camera any harder than I did, which was very firmly. Seems solid so hopefully it'll stay put. My car is in the blazing sun during the summer most of the time and I was worried the glue would soften and cause a drop and a mess. I also just grabbed the cpl filter too. Absolutely needed with the deep reach dashboard of the Honda fit. Reflection galore at the moment. Any tips on frame rate, bit rate and exposure settings and considering I'll have the cpl filter on. Right now I have it at 2k, 30fps, highest bit rate. Trying to avoid that low bit rate blockyness at speed that these things can get.

Crap, I missed peeling off the extra white strip. I didn't even realize that strip came off. Hopefully all will be well anyway. Why the heck did they have an extra strip to peel??

Back