A129 Pro 4k - GPS / Base unit failure?

HeyChris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro 4K
Nearly made it a year.... My GPS/Base unit died late March. Didn't realize the dash cam wasn't operational until I went to check a gnarly collision by someone else...
(Death based upon last timestamp of recorded video.)

Dash Cam itself works just fine if using USB port on the unit directly, but the power cord eyesore is not to my liking and defeats the purpose of having the GPS/base. Along with the lack of GP

I have it hardwired with the ignition from a connection using an adapter off the powered mirror which has worked flawlessly until the above notation.

Looks like I will be putting in a warranty request with @viofo / @VIOFO-Support. (Two profiles, unsure which is the main one?)

Other than this new 'feature' I have been really happy with the camera. banana.gif
Escaping a Murder of Crows...

TX State Trooper being selective.

Last edited:
You should test the GPS to ensure it's actually the GPS mount (could be the connector on back of unit). See attached picture on how to test.

A129GPS.jpg

Nearly made it a year.... My GPS/Base unit died late March. Didn't realize the dash cam wasn't operational until I went to check a gnarly collision by someone else...
(Death based upon last timestamp of recorded video.)

Dash Cam itself works just fine if using USB port on the unit directly, but the power cord eyesore is not to my liking and defeats the purpose of having the GPS/base. Along with the lack of GP

I have it hardwired with the ignition from a connection using an adapter off the powered mirror which has worked flawlessly until the above notation.

Looks like I will be putting in a warranty request with @viofo / @VIOFO-Support. (Two profiles, unsure which is the main one?)

Other than this new 'feature' I have been really happy with the camera. View attachment 64668

It can work well without the GPS module, right? Then we suspect the issue is related to the GPS Module. Please open a ticket on our official website to get solutions: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Tested pins as noted in Post #2. 5v is achieved.

LED lights:
Left one is solid Red.
Right one flashes/alternates between Red/Green.

Including a short video that displays what everything is trying to do as a complete unit.
- Powered via base unit, starts/flickers/dies/repeats.
- Powered via dash camera directly, no problem.

Occurrences do not change whether or not engine is running or in general ACC mode.

Hmm.... ¿

IMG_20230410_085608693_HDR.jpg

Likely the connection on the back of the camera itself. Could possibly be the GPS mount, but based on what I've seen in the past with some earlier A129 Pro models, it's likely on the camera side.

In communication with Viofo. Will update appropriately....

Viofo Customer Support shipped me a new GPS Module installed today. So far so good in the 20 minute jaunt to fill up the gas tank.
($4.45/gallon at my nearest Costco. $4.99/gallon for the Chevron which is

The original unit was giving me 4.99v in the car. Tested it on the bench and it was closer to 4.93-4.95v This was also after sitting in the afternoon sun.

Fingers crossed... And thanks again @viofo / @VIOFO-Support

Chris.

Mine seems to have failed in the past few days. The dash cam powers up via the power port on the dash cam, but won't power up via the GPS mount. I probably should have checked here and checked the power on the pins mentioned by @CaptureYourAction before ordering a new one off of Amazon.

I have a mount in my girlfriends car and it didn't power up when connected to that one either. I blew into the connectors on the back of the camera and that seems to have fixed the issue. I thought that only worked for NES game cartridges...:LOL: I cancelled my Amazon order too. DashCamTalk for the win!

Back