A129 Pro 4K vs. ThinkWare U1000

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Country
United States
Opinions? I would totally go for the A129 Pro Duo due to the lower price point compared to the U1000, but A129 has no cloud capabilities. What do you all think?

Or do you have better recommendations?

Personally I don’t think the extra cost of the u1000 is a justification for a cloud feature and in my opinion, I like the picture quality a bit better on the a129 pro.

Personally I don’t think the extra cost of the u1000 is a justification for a cloud feature and in my opinion, I like the picture quality a bit better on the a129 pro.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any experience with the Viofo? One thing I’m looking for is the ability to pull video up within the app. I really don’t want a cam that I’m going to have to unmount and take inside or remove the sd card from to obtain video. I’d prefer to just pull video off the app. I’m not sure how the video gets transferred from the unit to the app. Do you have to sit in the car near the unit in order to transfer video? Does the unit automatically transfer video whenever the phone is in the car?

I do have some experience with the viofo since I have installed the a129 pro on my everyday vehicle at the moment. Considering the concern of data accessibility you have expressed it is clear this unit will not fulfill your needs and your options are quite slim and expensive. First of all, you will have to switch the wifi manually on the cam each time you need to access it with your phone or computer wirelessly. Secondly, yes, you will have to be within range, meaning that you have to seat in the car or near it.
I prefer to compromise convenience over data privacy. I like to transfer data directly to the computer when I need it and it is the fastest way possible for me.
I only use the app if I wish to do some settings modification or if I need to review some footage on my phone to ensure the camera is still recording properly between formatting the card. It serves my needs at the moment...

I do have some experience with the viofo since I have installed the a129 pro on my everyday vehicle at the moment. Considering the concern of data accessibility you have expressed it is clear this unit will not fulfill your needs and your options are quite slim and expensive. First of all, you will have to switch the wifi manually on the cam each time you need to access it with your phone or computer wirelessly. Secondly, yes, you will have to be within range, meaning that you have to seat in the car or near it.
I prefer to compromise convenience over data privacy. I like to transfer data directly to the computer when I need it and it is the fastest way possible for me.
I only use the app if I wish to do some settings modification or if I need to review some footage on my phone to ensure the camera is still recording properly between formatting the card. It serves my needs at the moment...

THANK YOU! It’s so hard to find explanations about the new tech arising with these cams. Not even the device websites explain all this in detail. I appreciate it. I guess I’m going to hold out for the tech to evolve before purchasing.

One more question tho...do you know how the Bluetooth button works with the A129? Again, the website does not explain what exact function it serves. Thanks!

One more question tho...do you know how the Bluetooth button works with the A129? Again, the website does not explain what exact function it serves. Thanks!
When you press it, it will lock the current file so that it is safe from being overwritten.

Summer in Australia right now and U1000's keep shutting down due to overheating, not a good choice for a warm climate
Can they see anything to record through all the smoke?

Like Nigel said, it saves the current file in the secure folder. It is useful to add one somewhere easily accessible in the dashboard so you can hit it fast when you need it. The dashcam has the button in the middle which it does the same but you could potentially press any of the other buttons by accident causing the camera stop recording or something else.

it's like that at the moment, breathing is the equivalent of being a pack a day smoker
Looks bad on the news...

I’m in Wales at the moment, we started closing down the South Wales coal mines, that used to supply most of the world’s coal, back in the 1980’s to combat global warming, closed down the country’s last coal fired power station 2 months ago, However New South Wales has undone alI our efforts many times over. Hope it doesn’t take New South Wales anywhere near as long to stop mining the coal or we will all be in big trouble!

Looks bad on the news...
yeah it's bad, being 47°C yesterday sure didn't help

problem at the moment is caused by the greenies, they blocked back burning for a few years and there's so much fuel on the ground as a result

problem at the moment is caused by the greenies, they blocked back burning for a few years and there's so much fuel on the ground as a result
Yes, we have that problem here too, traditionally we regularly burn a lot of heathland so that unwanted fires can be controlled, people try to stop the damage to wildlife not prepared to understand that it is the controlled burning that provides the habitat the wildlife requires as well as it being necessary for safety.

yeah unfortunately there are people that are well intentioned, but sadly misinformed, 1000 homes burnt down might hopefully mean these do gooders never get to interfere in what's needed again

Back