A129 Pro | AV out to Android Head Unit

chatmandu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've ordered an Android Head Unit from China and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002167375411.html
4GB / 64GB model

I often drive with large amounts of luggage, that block the rear view mirror, and I'd like to use the new hear unit to display the rear camera's footage as a live feed.

I know that the A129 Pro can't output video via USB.

Would it be possible to configure the A129 pro to output the rear camera (mirror mode) to the Android Head Unit via the AV Out?

Or is it possible to 'tee' the rear camera's coax cable and connect to both the A129 Pro and the head unit?

Last edited:
Sorry for any confusion, but I'm looking to have a 'rear view mirror' when driving around as opposed to reversing camera function.

The head unit comes with a 'free gift' reversing camera, but I thought the higher position (and better quality) rear dash cam camera might offer a better view of the road behind.

I'll try out the free camera and see if it's suitable.

1685217371896.png

... I'm looking to have a 'rear view mirror' when driving around as opposed to reversing camera function.
Displaying the image from the rear camera to the head unit is rarely used by anyone, however, this topic Rear View Mirroring Setting has already been raised here, you can go here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/rear-view-mirroring-setting.41985/#post-504425

Here is the response from VIOFO-Support
Have you turn on the Rear Camera Mirror option in settings, it could make the image of rear camera to be displayed and recorded as reversed compared to the actual view.
However, I do not know if such menu settings have been preserved in the latest firmware, I do not have A129 Pro and I cannot check this.

PS: Features of connecting an external monitor to A129 Pro (this applies to all Viofo models that have an AV output connector):
a cable with a 3.5 mm 4-pin mini Jack connector (TRRS) to the RCA is used for connection.
When the mini-jack connector is connected, the display on the dashcam turns off.
Before connecting, check the pinout of the cable.
TRRS 4 pin jack 3,5 mm cable to rca 2 only video.jpg
It may be more convenient to use a mini-jack with an angled connector.
trrs 4 pin jack 3,5 mm cable to rca angle connector.jpg

And since the cable from the mini-jack 3,5 мм to the RCA with one tulip (only for video) is very rarely used, it's easier to take the cable in the "noodle" version with three tulips, and then just separate the two extra wires and cut in the right place. ;)
trrs 4 pin jack 3,5 mm cable to rca 2.jpg

PS: and in order to connect the cable on your head unit there must be a connector for the AV-in

Last edited:
Back