A129 Pro beta user here, the power base has failed.

NKato

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, due to the daily heat here in the PNW, it seems the power base to my A129 Pro has failed. The camera itself still works if I connect the power directly, rather than through the mounting base.

Any suggestions, y'all? I'll probably have to replace it. Main issue is being able to remove the old unit without ruining my windshield, I mounted it on the black dotted surface rather than a clean glass surface in an effort to make it less noticeable. I'm open to ideas.

P.S. I ordered a replacement GPS mount. The main issue is being able to get under the old mount and separate it from the windshield without damaging any part of the windshield...

Last edited:
heat from a hair dryer or heat gun should help get the adhesive to release easier. you can apply from the outside directly onto the pad.

the frit (dot matrix) is pretty tough stuff, but of course dont use anything sharp, but some dental floss/fishing line/other strong string worked between the windshield and adhesive pad will also help, work the string back and forth in a sawing motion. be careful if you use the heat, and then start in with the string, might want to wear gloves as the glass can get HOT and you can burn your fingers

heat from a hair dryer or heat gun should help get the adhesive to release easier. you can apply from the outside directly onto the pad.

the frit (dot matrix) is pretty tough stuff, but of course dont use anything sharp, but some dental floss/fishing line/other strong string worked between the windshield and adhesive pad will also help, work the string back and forth in a sawing motion. be careful if you use the heat, and then start in with the string, might want to wear gloves as the glass can get HOT and you can burn your fingers

I need to find a strong string that is actually mildly abrasive. Floss is too slippery and doesn't actually work very well as an option. Plus, using heat on glass is extremely risky as it can cause the glass to crack if heated too much.

Use a thin plastic ruler. Spray some WD40 on it and slide it under the adhesive, while pulling the base out.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I need to find a strong string that is actually mildly abrasive. Floss is too slippery and doesn't actually work very well as an option. Plus, using heat on glass is extremely risky as it can cause the glass to crack if heated too much.
don't need a heat gun, just park it out in the sun for a while

A hair dryer isn't going to make enough heat to crack your windshield. I'm not certain that even a heat gun would do that unless the air temps are really low. I've been using a propane torch (and common sense) to soften window glazing putty in home repairs for 40 years and I have yet to see a pane crack from doing that. I guess if I tried to leave the heat there too long it could happen. And my glass expert cuts safety glass for cars. After making his cuts on both sides, he uses a similar torch to soften the plastic layer to remove the excess he's cutting away. Glass is amazingly strong and tough in many ways and delicate in others, but a little heat here isn't going to harm your windshield unless it is cracked there already. Just don't be stupid and blast away and you'll be fine.

Phil

You better check whether the new base works before removing the old one... :)
I thought my base is failing too but somebody suggested to be carefull about this presumption and he was right, the actual issue is internal flex cable connecting dashcam's PCB to top slide connector.

Last edited:
A windshield that sits outside in the sun, in a parking lot, where internal temps reach upto 160+ degrees Fahrenheit for hours on end.. and you are worried about a hairdryer or heat gun for a few seconds?

Then just leave it in a the sun in a parking lot all day, come back after it's baked a few hours and start pulling in the mount

Sun heats the whole windshield evenly and "slowly", hairdryed/heatgun will create a high energy spot in few seconds which will cause pretty significant difference in other parts and it can break the glass.
So Dr.Ramoray, you better stick to medicine... :ROFLMAO:

Glass conducts heat quickly so within reason you can heat one spot without danger. It's when you apply too much heat or apply it for too long that you might have problems. I'm pretty sure there's not enough heat in a hairdryer to let you go too far- I've defrosted frozen windshields with them before. Buy yeah, sunlight is free and the work effortless too. My technique uses a very thin putty knife I have- work one corner loose and the rest will follow.

Phil

sure.. im not going to argue with you. you do whatever you want on your car. there is a reason why its recommended all over the place to apply heat. but if you'd rather do something else, then by all means, do something else

1593161232865.png
Beside general WD40, I find this degreaser is doing pretty well for remove adhesive residue. Not being oily like general WD40 but very good for remove sticky mess

Dont worry viofo will realease a addon for the camera i will look like this ;)

pol_pl_Wentylator-do-laptopa-IBM-LENOVO-ThinkPad-T420-T420S-T420SI-ORG-3PIN-RADIATOR-1526_1.png

Serious now, i wonder how heating will be if the camera mount and camera insted of color balck will have a white colour?

P.S. I ordered a replacement GPS mount. The main issue is being able to get under the old mount and separate it from the windshield without damaging any part of the windshield...

Take a fishing line attach on one and other end a stick and move it left right, left right, etc. The mount will go with no problem.

I bought up a spool of braided fishing line, the thinnest I could find. I think this will work well. Now to wait for the replacement power base.

You better check whether the new base works before removing the old one... :)
I thought my base is failing too but somebody suggested to be carefull about this presumption and he was right, the actual issue is internal flex cable connecting dashcam's PCB to top slide connector.

And yeah, it could be -- however, I connect the power cable to the base, and it does not feed power to the camera. This tells me the base is not working anyway - could be the flex cable, could be something else, I dunno. At least the base is like only $15.

Had the same issue where the power base, or in my case, the GPS module, failed, but cam still worked with the power directly plugged in.. Viofo replaced it for free after I told them about it. Used the hair dryer on my windshield to soften the adhesive - no issues. This was during the wintertime in my garage, so leaving car in the sun may be another option.

I thought my base failed as well as I lost power to the camera. When I plugged into the camera directly I got a "No GPS" notice. I bought a new GPS base but still have the "No GPS" notice and I still can't power the camera from the base.

It seems the camera itself failed for that connection and I no longer have the option to use GPS.

Going to start looking for a more reliable camera, even if the video is not as clear during the day.

So, due to the daily heat here in the PNW, it seems the power base to my A129 Pro has failed. The camera itself still works if I connect the power directly, rather than through the mounting base.

Any suggestions, y'all? I'll probably have to replace it. Main issue is being able to remove the old unit without ruining my windshield, I mounted it on the black dotted surface rather than a clean glass surface in an effort to make it less noticeable. I'm open to ideas.

Ya i have the same issue. Where did you get a replacement mount from?

Back