A129 PRO comparison with A129

AlexTan

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129Pro Duo A129 IR Duo A119 A119S A118C & Dome GS98C
Seems like the A129 1080P is capturing better details at night as compare to A129PRO 4K.

Seems like the A129 1080P is capturing better details at night as compare to A129PRO 4K.

yes it does but don't see that big of a difference in that scenario. It may be more noticeable in places with less illumination.
Are you running both cameras at the same frame rate? The a 129 shows significant stutter compared to the other one.

yes it does but don't see that big of a difference in that scenario. It may be more noticeable in places with less illumination.
Are you running both cameras at the same frame rate? The a 129 shows significant stutter compared to the other one.
Different frame rate. The 1080 recorded in 60fps and 4k 30fps. The combine video rendered in 4k 30fps.

If record 1080 30fps and 4k 30fps, combine video 4k 30fps render, will it be smooth?

Both WDR Off.

the white balance of the a129pro looks off.

Yes, the white balance is noticeable off from the pro version.

My a129pro has the same white balance problem.

Maybe the developers will fix it in the future. However, I’m sure there are bugs with higher priority

Hi,

I don't know what to choose: A129 or A129 Pro?

1. Is it worth paying extra to the A129 Pro version? I see that, for example, the white balance is not very good.

2. Would you buy A129Pro again?

3. For those who had A129 before: do you regret switching to a newer model?

I am asking because I am aware that the A129 model is already a bit "outdated" and in the context of reported problems, the manufacturer may treat it as a secondary matter.
In my country, the price difference is around $ 40.

Best regards and thank you for the feedback

Hi,

I don't know what to choose: A129 or A129 Pro?

1. Is it worth paying extra to the A129 Pro version? I see that, for example, the white balance is not very good.

2. Would you buy A129Pro again?

3. For those who had A129 before: do you regret switching to a newer model?

I am asking because I am aware that the A129 model is already a bit "outdated" and in the context of reported problems, the manufacturer may treat it as a secondary matter.
In my country, the price difference is around $ 40.

Best regards and thank you for the feedback
A129 is not outdated. It is the best mid range budget dual channel dashcam. 1080p recording is sufficient. It still can capture car plate number clearly significantly.

A129Pro 4k recording is good. Is capture more details. But need more time to fine tune on the image quality. Viofo is working on it and they regularly provides firmware upgrade for improvement.

If you dont mind waiting and keep upgrading the firmware, A129Pro Duo is worth getting.

Get the A129 Duo. It is stable and worry free.

Or get A119V3 for single channel.
To me, A119 V3 has the best image quality and rated the best budget dash camera with high quality image.

Last edited:
A129PRO Rear 1080p vs. Rear IR 1080p

I don’t think that is a good or accurate comparison if the clips are not done at the same exact time...
True, but at least this footage manage to show the colour and contrast differences and the IR rear cam is wider in 160° wide viewing angle, and the regular rear cam is 140°.

4K will always have worse night vision than 1080p. And 1080p worse than 720p. You are compressing more pixels into each frame. Meaning the pixels get smaller. The trade off is higher quality images, but poorer night capture. No way around the issue.

4K will always have worse night vision than 1080p. And 1080p worse than 720p. You are compressing more pixels into each frame. Meaning the pixels get smaller. The trade off is higher quality images, but poorer night capture. No way around the issue.
that's not always correct, physical size of the sensor comes into it, if they are all the same size then it would be correct

I too am looking at purchasing one of these Viofo models. And debating on getting the older one as I only run my dash cams at 1080p. I don't mind spending the extra on the newer A129 Pro version, even though I won't run it at 4k.

I'm assuming the A129 Pro has newer hardware inside. So would running the A129 Pro version at 1080p/30 produce better video quality than A129 at 1080p/30.

I'm assuming the A129 Pro has newer hardware inside. So would running the A129 Pro version at 1080p/30 produce better video quality than A129 at 1080p/30.
Much better, if there is enough light. At night there will not be much difference, and in low daylight the older A129 will win since to the A129 Pro will have too much motion blur to read moving number plates when they are close up, it requires you read them while they are still distant, and for that you need to use the 4K resolution. It is actually not far behind on motion blur, but if you use 4K resolution you can very often read stuff you can't at 1080 due to motion blur even if it does get close enough, and even with 1080 on the old A129. There is an exception when you are turning a corner, because then you also get motion blur in the distance in low light, so then the original A129 will win.

There is no good reason to use 1080 on the A129 Pro, the 4K will produce much better detail even if you use the same bitrate as 1080 on the old A129. The only issue is that when you play the video back, you need to use something that can show the full 4K detail, and if like me you use a 1080 monitor then you need a video player with a zoom function - not a problem, just a fact. I find 30mb/s is perfectly adequate for dashcam use, 60mb/s is very nice for the holiday movies but not necessary for everyday use.

If you don't mind the extra cost, go for the Pro. When you get used to 4K video, 1080 is not enough!

Last edited:
Much better, if there is enough light. At night there will not be much difference, and in low daylight the older A129 will win since to the A129 Pro will have too much motion blur to read moving number plates when they are close up, it requires you read them while they are still distant, and for that you need to use the 4K resolution. It is actually not far behind on motion blur, but if you use 4K resolution you can very often read stuff you can't at 1080 due to motion blur even if it does get close enough, and even with 1080 on the old A129.

There is no good reason to use 1080 on the A129 Pro, the 4K will produce much better detail even if you use the same bitrate as 1080 on the old A129. The only issue is that when you play the video back, you need to use something that can show the full 4K detail, and if like me you use a 1080 monitor then you need a video player with a zoom function - not a problem, just a fact. I find 30mb/s is perfectly adequate for dashcam use, 60mb/s is very nice for the holiday movies but not necessary for everyday use.

If you don't mind the extra cost, go for the Pro. When you get used to 4K video, 1080 is not enough!
Thanks so much for the reply... Really appreciate it... [emoji1303]

Back