A129 Pro Duo - any issues with interference?

slicendice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering getting the A129 Pro Duo for my g/f's VW Polo. One of the potential issues I've heard of in the past is that the rear cam cable can interfere with DAB reception (DAB aerial is built into rear windscreen on Polo) so I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced any such issues with the Pro? If so, did you manage to solve them? And how?

Thanks

Yes I have experienced issues. I have a Kenwood 2018 DDX9018DABS (same as the DDX9905XR in the USA) head unit which has DAB+. In Australia we have the newer DAB+ standard.

Since installing the A129 Pro Duo last week I have noticed my DAB+ radio has reduced reception and drops out now under semi open carparks and other overhead structures of the like. Before reception was perfect in such areas. The headunit has one of those stick on window film antennas on the front windshield. Some say they are garbage antennas but in my car it was been 100% reliable in all areas I drive.

I deliberately routed the rear camera cable on the other side of the car up through the headliner and to the rear window ensuring I keep as much distance from any DAB gear. Still causes interference. It isn't that much it seems but it has reduced its ability.

In the past I have read with similar camera setups that it also reduces keyless entry range. I don’t run the A129 Pro in parking mode at this stage so I am yet to test out its effect on my keyfob range.

I am yet to figure out how to combat this problem. There are discussions on the site about ideas on how to reduce the effect but I am yet to try any of them.

Seeing as the rear camera is installed on the rear window and your DAB antenna is in the rear window, I would assume it will affect your DAB but you will just have to try and see to ultimately know for sure.

Last edited:
Yeh that's exactly what I's concerned about. I've heard that ferrite cores (such as this one) can help reduce interference but I don't know how effective they are.

Yeh that's exactly what I's concerned about. I've heard that ferrite cores (such as this one) can help reduce interference but I don't know how effective they are.

The Viofo hardwire kit for power does have one installed but there are no ferrite cores on the rear camera cable so this may be a solution. I would like to try one of these myself actually.

I've also read that there are different types of ferrite core and which one is best will depend on the frequency you are trying to shield from. Farnell apparently make some good ones (although I admit to knowing very little about all this so couldn't really say!) and they do a large range of cores for various different frequencies.

Which leads to the question....does anyone know what frequency an A129 Pro would produce?! :unsure:

This is another one that is specifically advertised as being for interference from dash cams

I've also read that there are different types of ferrite core and which one is best will depend on the frequency you are trying to shield from. Farnell apparently make some good ones (although I admit to knowing very little about all this so couldn't really say!) and they do a large range of cores for various different frequencies.

Which leads to the question....does anyone know what frequency an A129 Pro would produce?! :unsure:

One of those dashcam specific cores you linked to states "33Ω at 25MHz and 92Ω at 100MHz. " Can we assume it would be in this range?

One of those dashcam specific cores you linked to states "33Ω at 25MHz and 92Ω at 100MHz. " Can we assume it would be in this range?

Yes I just noticed that as well. Given it's advertised as being specifically for shielding dashcams from DAB radio, I'd very much hope that was the correct frequency range! :)

I guess you want one that absorbs DAB frequency well, which for most of us will be in the range 200-300MHz, so you don't want a GHz ferrite core, but any that have a range centred around 200MHz would do, and 100MHz or 300MHz is probably close enough since they normally have a wide frequency range. But I think there is a lot of guesswork involved, there is no way of knowing what effect it will have on the video signal, so best to go with a recommended one if possible.

I got intereference with my portable 12v DAB+ which had an antenna which stuck on the glass. The cure for me was to buy a £10 mag mount antenna and put it on the boot of my car.

I got intereference with my portable 12v DAB+ which had an antenna which stuck on the glass. The cure for me was to buy a £10 mag mount antenna and put it on the boot of my car.
I'm sure that installing a proper antenna is always the best solution, the windscreen ones are only adequate, and that is with the car in factory condition with nothing added!

I'm sure that installing a proper antenna is always the best solution, the windscreen ones are only adequate, and that is with the car in factory condition with nothing added!

Well yes but I don't know many who are keen to start drilling holes in car roofs to add new antennas for DAB. If your car has one of those 'shark fin' or other such easily replaceable antennas that’s fantastic. What about cars with extendable telescopic units or rear in glass antennas?

My on glass DAB antenna is more than only adequate, it is perfect and caused me no issues until I installed the A129 Pro. The fact is dashcams should be correctly shielded to prevent this by the manufacturer.

My on glass DAB antenna is more than only adequate, it is perfect and caused me no issues until I installed the A129 Pro. The fact is dashcams should be correctly shielded to prevent this by the manufacturer.

Or maybe DAB radios should be shielded against any outside intereference? ;) :p:)

That is the problem with digital radio, it either works perfectly, or it works terribly! A very small change in reception or interference can make it useless.

Or maybe DAB radios should be shielded against any outside intereference? ;) :p:)
It has to be both, it is impossible for any digital electronics to operate without causing some interference, it can only be minimised, while a cheap DAB rooftop antenna will pick up a much better signal than a windscreen antenna. Of course with DAB it is hard to hear any difference in signal quality, until it stops working.

haha yes! :)

Nothing else in my car is causing DAB problems – blower motors, relays, alternator, A/C, defrosting wires, etc. just the dashcam – thus it is the fault of the dashcam.
I agree everything should be shielded better but it sounds like the dashcam is spewing RF everywhere.

And if the radio were perfectly shielded, it would not receive a signal ;)

Nothing else in my car is causing DAB problems – blower motors, relays, alternator, A/C, defrosting wires, etc. just the dashcam – thus it is the fault of the dashcam.

I'm sure this is true but the conclusion of your logic is slightly off-course. Both car and dashcam manufacturers are at fault here- both could be designed better to mitigate possible interference but neither does because of costs and because only a small percentage of users will have problems. Neither is free of fault but it's not easy to design against all possible problems so nobody does that- they only design against common problems. Carmakers can test with what they install, but not all aftermarket devices so that's why their stuff works but cams might not :whistle:

As far as DAB, I think more fault is in the car designs where better antennas and better cable shielding almost always cure these issues. When you consider that even a slight cost increase will make huge financial numbers given how many cars of a particular model are made, then we should expect this as the norm. Dashcam manufacturers have lesser numbers involved but also lesser total profits, so they're not going to spend to do better either :(

What we really need is higher standards of non-interference for electronic devices- they're all quite nasty EMF/RFI polluters. That will cost us as consumers though so until the problem becomes more widespread (which it will with our thirst for more and better wireless devices) then we have to find our own solutions.

Phil

What we really need is higher standards of non-interference for electronic devices- they're all quite nasty EMF/RFI polluters. That will cost us as consumers though so until the problem becomes more widespread (which it will with our thirst for more and better wireless devices) then we have to find our own solutions.

Phil
I believe there are standards for rf emissions which the dashcams comply with. It is the car that can't cope with devices even when they are operating within the standards that is the problem, but there is no standard that ensures that cars are fitted with adequate antenna to avoid problems, thus the car manufacturers save a $ per car by fitting a stick on antenna instead of a proper one, and because we now have digital radio which works perfectly until it doesn't, the car manufactures can get away with it when 20 years ago in the analog age they always fitted high quality antenna since the owners could hear the difference during a test drive.

I'm sure this is true but the conclusion of your logic is slightly off-course. Both car and dashcam manufacturers are at fault here- both could be designed better to mitigate possible interference but neither does because of costs and because only a small percentage of users will have problems. Neither is free of fault but it's not easy to design against all possible problems so nobody does that- they only design against common problems. Carmakers can test with what they install, but not all aftermarket devices so that's why their stuff works but cams might not :whistle:

As far as DAB, I think more fault is in the car designs where better antennas and better cable shielding almost always cure these issues. When you consider that even a slight cost increase will make huge financial numbers given how many cars of a particular model are made, then we should expect this as the norm. Dashcam manufacturers have lesser numbers involved but also lesser total profits, so they're not going to spend to do better either :(

Phil

All good points and I totally agree with what you said but I don’t believe the conclusion of my logic is off-course by that much. The fact is the car itself or any other aftermarket electronics which I have installed (and I have plenty including custom power distribution with a number of large coil based relays and several high end audio amplifiers) have not interfered with DAB to any noticeable degree but the dashcam does rather severely. The car was designed well before any kind of digital radio existed and yet poses no issue.

But anyway yes, both sides do need to improve however the issue remains on how do I get my DAB to work correctly once again when running this dashcam?

Reminds me of this:

I believe there are standards for rf emissions which the dashcams comply with. It is the car that can't cope with devices even when they are operating within the standards that is the problem, but there is no standard that ensures that cars are fitted with adequate antenna to avoid problems, thus the car manufacturers save a $ per car by fitting a stick on antenna instead of a proper one, and because we now have digital radio which works perfectly until it doesn't, the car manufactures can get away with it when 20 years ago in the analog age they always fitted high quality antenna since the owners could hear the difference during a test drive.

As someone said to me: Ford isn’t in the business of making cars, it’s in the business of making money.

Back