A129 Pro Duo Clarification Needed

2019BlueRamSport

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, new member here so take it easy on me haha... And I talk (type) a lot of information all the time, so sorry in advance I just try to be very detailed.

I have several questions about the camera as I am still learning this new camera. I still need to play around with it a little more so I will just ask 3 questions for now. Just so you know what I have, I’ve got the A129 Pro (I know it’s obvious lol) with the Bluetooth remote button, rear dash cam (yet to be installed) and CPL filters for both front and rear cameras. The camera is hardwired in with the Viofo wire kit. Onward to my questions.

1) I paid for a A129 PRO DUO from a shop I have been dealing with for 10+ years. I got the A129 Pro without the rear camera as my installer did not have the rear camera in stock. Now searching the VIOFO website I do not see anywhere on that site to even order the rear camera separate. Can anyone tell me if getting the A129 PRO and then adding the camera later is the same as getting the A129 PRO DUO in the first place? Is the only difference between the PRO and PRO DUO just the fact that one has a rear camera and the other doesn’t? I trust my installer completely never been an issue, I just wanted to make sure it’s the same camera system when he adds the rear Viofo camera. I know you can get the rear camera on Amazon (Canada) through OCD Tronic Canada so maybe Viofo just doesn’t list the camera separate on the website maybe.

2) I was reading somewhere about the power cable connections on the older versions that wouldn’t let parking mode work if plugged into the GPS module. I’m not having any problems with the plug. Just curious, if I wanted to plug the power cable directly into the camera will everything still work correctly? I don’t think I will have the need to do this, but just for future reference if I decide to move the camera to the drivers side and route the cable from the camera considering it’s a left angled connection.

3) I see screen saver of 1 and 3 mins delays. Does this camera not have the capabilities to keep the screen on all the time? Or is keeping the screen on all the time during driving bad for generating heat and causing premature camera failure?

So far, from the reviews and my extensive research this is a pretty good camera and I think the value for my money is good. I have a 256gb SanDisk high endurance card in it. I’ve got park mode set to low bit rate so I can capture everything that happens when parked. So far my ONLY complaint about this camera is the power cables. I really wish they would have both ends on 90 angles for the rear camera, it would allow the camera to be mounted higher. At first I was trying to order right and left angle adaptors until I did some reading that most Micro USBs are 5 pin and the cameras are their own setup of 10pin, go figure. Not a HUGE deal as I have made a bracket to drop the rear camera down (I wanted it installed in the middle slider window of my truck therefore it can’t be mounted directly on the window) but it would have been nice if I could have just mounted it to the plastic trim on the truck and up higher if I could have gotten a 90 degree angle adaptor. That is really so far the only thing I wish would be different. But nothing is always perfect and it’s only a minor nuisance.

Anyhow I appreciate the help in advance. If anyone has any tricks or tips for me please share. My previous cameras were the cheap but decent G1W series. They came in handy a few times, like the one time I was almost hit head on.

1. The rear camera is the same as for the A129 Duo, which should be available on its own.
2. I recommend plugging power into the base if possible, but it should still work plugged into the side.
3. Option is not available to reduce heat, but it is not good to have the screen on while driving anyway, illegal in many countries.

1. The rear camera is the same as for the A129 Duo, which should be available on its own.
2. I recommend plugging power into the base if possible, but it should still work plugged into the side.
3. Option is not available to reduce heat, but it is not good to have the screen on while driving anyway, illegal in many countries.

Ok thank you.

Is the front camera of the A129 Pro the same as the front camera of the Duo model?

So did Viofo add the rear camera to the A129Pro and slap DUO in the name to sell it as a package deal?

Is the front camera of the A129 Pro the same as the front camera of the Duo model?
No, it is 4K instead of FHD, 4x the detail.
So did Viofo add the rear camera to the A129Pro and slap DUO in the name to sell it as a package deal?
A129Pro was designed as a dual camera with 4K resolution at the front and FHD at the rear, a substantial upgrade on the standard A129 Duo.
It is also available without the rear camera since not everyone wants it, or is upgrading so already has the rear.
The ones that come with the rear camera are named "A129 Pro Duo".

No, it is 4K instead of FHD, 4x the detail.

A129Pro was designed as a dual camera with 4K resolution at the front and FHD at the rear, a substantial upgrade on the standard A129 Duo.
It is also available without the rear camera since not everyone wants it, or is upgrading so already has the rear.
The ones that come with the rear camera are named "A129 Pro Duo".

Yeah I knew the a129 Pro is 4k. I was just wondering if the Pro and Pro Duo are the same front camera. With the rear camera being the only difference.

Judging by your post. Both the a129 Pro and a129 Pro Duo have the same 4k camera on the front. Only difference is one comes without a rear camera and the other one comes with the rear camera.

Thanks again for your help.

Judging by your post. Both the a129 Pro and a129 Pro Duo have the same 4k camera on the front. Only difference is one comes without a rear camera and the other one comes with the rear camera.
Correct:)

Is there any difference in maximum bitrate or resolution for the front cam when the rear cam is being used? With many 2-channel cams, front cam performance drops when a rear cam is added due to processor limitations.

Phil

No changes to image quality at all on the A129 Pro as far as I know, although I've never really tested the 120fps mode so there might be something I don't know of.

Last edited:
I have 2 questions...

1) Should I install the rear camera directly with the quick disconnect mount or without it? Without it, it would put my camera closer to the window. I don't really foresee any reason why I would need to remove the camera at any point. Maybe to clean the window where the camera is, but I can slid my window open clean it and then close it. Have attached a picture with it currently mounted. Or should I just leave well enough alone.

2) I see a build update 2.1 20200803 and I downloaded it from a link provided on this webpage by a member (forgot the name) but it's from Here (Capture Your Action) because for some reason my company computer will not let me download from the site (they have it blocked).
A) Is this a reliable source to use the update from? If not can someone send it to me directly.
B) I currently have version 1.4 on my camera, should I update to this newest version or leave it. I haven't had problems as of yet

Also reason I can't update at home and need to do elsewhere like work... I do not own a computer any longer just my cell phone and iPad... Some days I regret selling my laptop..

1. I have never considered installing it without the mount, but as long as it is already firmly attached, I would just leave it, if you ever need to remove it than you can decide if it is worth fitting the mount to make it easier next time. I don't think the mount has any purpose other than to allow easy removal and cleaning of the glass + lens. The closeness to the glass can make a difference, but it depends on the car, so if it is working well then that is fine.

2A. Yes, Capture Your Action is reliable.
2B. Since your camera is new, it should already have a very decent and stable firmware version installed, beta test versions that you may see posted are not necessarily stable. If you don't have any problems then I suggest leaving it, there will always be a newer and "better" version available or coming soon or in beta release, but the basic functionality has worked well from the start and updates can add issues, so update when you need to update, or when there is a new feature that you definitely want. I think the main changes have been to do with memory card issues, if you don't have any memory card issues then it is probably better to wait for the next version which will be even better!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it brought up a thought:

Since the A129 Pro Duo uses the same rear camera, does it also use the same GPS base? Would make the upgrade path for those of us who'd like to maybe upgrade to 4K front a little bit cheaper.

I believe the GPS base is different from the non pro duo model. But I'm sure people with more knowledge then I will chime in.

This was taken from another thread Here

"
Note that you may need to change the GPS mount rather than use the old one, depending on how old it is. The originals will not communicate GPS data with the A129 Pro."

Also note that the HK3 has been upgraded for the A129 Pro, the older versions may cause a little noise on the audio. Although if you are movie making then it's best to use a dedicated audio recorder anyway, and the noise is not going to be sufficient to affect the quality of the dashcam for evidence purposes.

An no worries about hijacking my thread. It's easier then making another one.

Back