A129 Pro Duo no longer turning on with ignition or staying on after battery died

I have used dashcams for quite a while too, but i would not say i have been plagued with problems.
I had 1 camera where the focus went out, so i had to open it up and refocus it, this was a free camera sent for testing, but i am sure the maker would have replaced it if i had asked them, but for me a easy fix. ( camera still work 9 years later,,,,,, or i think it do, it is now backup at my friends place as he use a newer V3 version of the same camera )

Then there was the X cam days, but mine generally behaved well, though all 3 cameras eventually died, but at least the last one the production sample lasted okay, general operation was reliable to the not untimely end. ( all cameras died )

Then i got a camera for test where the battery in the GPS antenna was bad, i just put on another compatible antenna. ( this camera also still work )

Then another camera, a very cheap one, it saw service in my car for a good year, and i think it had about 2 years of service before it died recording in my living room window sill after some months of 24/7 operation and 1 memory card death.

Then i got yet another camera for testing, for me as one of the testers this camera was a bit worse then other testers cameras, i was not able to find a memory card that allowed recording all the time, so it some times stopped recording mid drive,,,,,, and some times it did not sound the alarm for this error.
The camera ended its working life ( waiting to see if newer firmware's would resolve my issues ) as a 24/7 camera in my living room window sill, on a timer that shut the camera off for a hour every day.
When i retired it the random stop issue was still there, but the camera really never broke down.

Then i got another test camera, this one plagued me and at least one other tester with reset to default time/date issues, and a lot of things was tried, but mine if my car was parked over 18 hours ( using 1 hour on timer parking guard - low bitrate always recording ) the camera would have defaulted the date / time.
So after a few months i replaced the apparently fine +8 year old battery in my little car, and then i never saw that reset to default time/date problem again.

So 6 cameras in total and really only 3 of them died ( sooner or later ) the other 3 had issues i could solve or made it hard for me to recommend those models.

In between these 6 cameras there have been many others that just worked until i retired them, which i would call fully functional,,,,,, though i must say that i did not test all aspects of these, testing parking guard in a camera is just something i recently have been able to do as the maker provided a hard wire kit to allow that.
So my observations so far mainly relate to regular operation while driving, it is my feeling that many peoples problems revolve around parking guard.

My testing of cameras quickly transition from a very close observation of its performance to very casual use / observation, i do assume if the makers get a influx of issues they would contact me to see if i have the same or are able to replicate, at least thats what i would do if i had a product some was testing / using.
I do think if people provide me with a free dashcam, then they are also allowed to ask a little of me, so i do consider myself as a affiliate of those brands, which i also think i always mention if i am recommending one of their cameras.

In general i just expect 2 years of service from a dashcam, but a good one will easy do way more than that if you are not unlucky.

I am not trailblazing dashcams, i still have to test my first 4K camera, and there are many brands i would like a stab at but just cant as i would then have to buy one myself and a Danish pension are not that good.
Plus as i do have cameras in my car, making ends meet to buy one of those cameras are hard when i also have other hobbies.
So while i do spend a lot of time in here, and also know a thing or two about dashcams, i only consider myself a dedicated user at best, there seem to be others in here that geek out on a whole other level.

I am very happy some make it possible for me to try a new camera now and then, and i can be able to help someone now and then with a problem or to make a informed decision.

EDIT: just been in thinking mode on the can, i forgot the mini 0906 where i managed to kill the test camera pretty fast in the test phase, so the true score are 7 - 4 ( dead )

Last edited:
I had the same issues with my A129 for a while despite changing SD cards and updating firmware. In the end I just dumped it and got a Blackvue DR750X-2CH which is functioning perfectly apart from an over sensitive G sensor. Had no issues with the 2 A119s i have in my other cars, just the A129 seems to be plagued with issues for me.

I wonder how many of these have been sold. I mean if 100,000 were sold and 100 had defects, that would be 0.1%

Would that be good or bad? I don't know.

People that don't have any issues usually do not go around telling people...however, the opposite is true. When there are issues, people go out of their way to tell people about it.

Now, I'm not saying anything one way or another, but you need to have all the details before a general overall statement can be made.

Then, as mentioned, you need to compare with other manufacturers to see if they are comparable in the industry.

Manufacturers, I'm sure, try to handle as much diversity as possible, but they can't account for every single part of the world or every instance. As time goes by and issues are identified, products become better...usually.

I'm sure other users, especially testers / reviewers, would know better than me.

FYI, I am the owner of a A129 Pro Duo. I am not affiliated with any manufacturer, site, etc

Update: I took my car back to the installer today. They tested all of the wires and everything came back good so the issue is clearly with the camera itself. I have emailed the manufacturer to see if I can get a replacement. I intend just to swap out the main camera and keep all of the wiring since that has already been installed.

Final Update: The issue was with the hard-wire kit. I ordered a new kit, had it replaced, and everything is working perfectly. Also, the new Samsung memory card works much better than the SanDisk, no random beeps or anything.

Back