A129 Pro duo vs 2x A119 v3 (front and rear) vs A119 v3 (front)+A119 v2 (rear)

Which Viofo dash cam for front and rear for night winter city driving?

• A129 Pro duo

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2x A119 v3 (front and rear) (40$ cheaper than Pro)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • A119 v3 (front) + A119 v2 (rear) (90$ cheaper than Pro)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BokChoy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I am new here but I have been following this site for a week now. Pardon my English as it is not my first language.

I am looking to buy my first dash cam and I want to have a camera for front and rear but I don't know what to choose (see title). Is the 4k quality of the a129 pro front camera worth it when it is a little bit darker than the A119 v3 and the rear camera is only 1080p and way darker than A119 v3 and also more expensive than 2x A119 v3 (30$ more) here in Canada? Should I save even more and just get the A119 v3 for front and V2 for rear? I am from Winnipeg, Canada and if you don't know yet, it's cold and dark here. The winter lasts 7 months so I need a camera that's good in the dark.

btw I won't hardwire it and I already have 128gb and 64gb High Endurance Cards.

Last edited:
Difference in resolution between Viofo A129 Duo, A119 V3 & A129 Pro, also shows the field of view differences:

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h

A129 Pro:

y4mfVcD84wrS2ICp0rlbj8LXZtWXHJEDEUmRM9uniqkj5CnMTPsMVLtL109O4SFX5UAirRqFHic7tV-7nX-_yNS3yIiLR7SxkD5M9CviJMb0jSZw5YAddZ-jueyde4qNF0rFyvlFAd2Remib3prAiJHelI3afBLXQ-fZQNcvkpxn53vMXy-oEnjCbcj9DBYFpi1

y4mBX04hyQkMBPxkW-nNosF-LRvDqnDq9Q9cjAHgniw1EltKdJyDbRkP_pJsabCF3EAz7cazHCdObaG4f0Q1aRHVs0Nu4SLD_Q4Qnnd4jGVf7HrEhOtAkV3cYbTw1Ix9qMrfSyWxGyT4HM5HV0XtOdvxu4pgkiffCEUY71NPAtEyiwmm1O2UqqAmPeBMyBeSJia

I am from Winnipeg, Canada and if you don't know yet, it's cold and dark here. The winter lasts 7 months so I need a camera that's good in the dark.
You may think that you are a long way north, but you are actually further south than I am on the south coast of the UK, so you can look at all the UK videos in the knowledge that you have better lighting and higher sun than we have!

Out of interest, I always find it odd that Canadians can't read and write English properly, although your English seems pretty good to me, unless Google Translate did a good job - what is your first Language?

I am in Denmark, and we too are Canada north on the globe, but in a N / S direction / length Denmark are only like 300 Km tall, so Canada go on much further north, all the way up as north as our protectorate Greenland.
And i have been to Greenland in the winter and yes it is dark and cold up there.
I think if you draw a line from the Canada / US border around the world, that line would come ashore over here a good ways south of Denmark, probably down in Holland or Belgium.
From where i live it is still a 1300 KM drive north to the arctic circle, so to be there i have to drive to Sweden or Norway that are much larger / taller countries that both go some way above the arctic circle.

I am not expecting any plate captures this time of the year, simply dark for too long and rare it is a nice blue sky and sunshine, so better get used to the big picture alone, which should also suffice in most cases other than hit and run.

All 3 cameras you are looking at will be fine for the big picture when its night time, but smaller stuff you will not see on any camera unless its daytime and sunshine from a cloud free sky.

I think if you draw a line from the Canada / US border around the world, that line would come ashore over here a good ways south of Denmark, probably down in Holland or Belgium.
Toronto in Canada is the same distance south as Bilbao in Spain and Monaco!

Of course the climate is a bit different, one is cold, the others are hot.

A129 Pro front camera is 4K, but not STARVIS and shows motion blur in low light. It does have good dynamic range, so performs well with high contrast when the sun is low in the sky (see Nigel's image above)
A129 Pro rear camera is IMX291, only 1080p but has good light sensitivity. 1080p is enough resolution to cover your rear.

A119V3 has higher sensitivity sensor than the A129 Pro, but not so good dynamic range. Motion blur is about the same on them, from what I have seen.
A119V2 does not really have any benefits over the V3, except price.

Both your top two options would be good choices.

You may think that you are a long way north, but you are actually further south than I am on the south coast of the UK, so you can look at all the UK videos in the knowledge that you have better lighting and higher sun than we have!

Out of interest, I always find it odd that Canadians can't read and write English properly, although your English seems pretty good to me, unless Google Translate did a good job - what is your first Language?

I think it's more of Winnipeg is a city but really just a big town where the population is low and businesses close early so there's not much lighting but you're right that we get a lot of sunlight here even in winter.

Filipino. No google translate but I spent a few minutes checking my grammar before I post.

Back