A129 Pro jerky video playback on MacOS with Quicktime Player

Is this the same problem on another camera?

Seeing the same jerky playback with videos from my SG9665GC as well. Difference being, QT works fine and VLC is choppy.

Seeing the same jerky playback with videos from my SG9665GC as well. Difference being, QT works fine and VLC is choppy.
current version of VLC for Windows results in no audio playback on the GC, a bug there somewhere

This is my first cam, only had it for a day and this is frustrating / disappointing. All of my stuff is the latest OS or Version. Excepting I am still on Mojave due to Corporate policy. ALL other 4k video works fine. I don't know if this is @viofo 's issue or Mac's but these videos play everywhere but OSX.

A129 Pro Duo with latest firmware, h264 high bitrate with 4k front and 1080 rear. Top of the line Samsung Endurance Card formatted properly (bought a SanDisk to try tonight too but I doubt this is the SD card)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). Iris Graphics 2.8 Ghz i7 with 16GB of RAM.
Quicktime: Dog Crap, Choppy Video all over​
VLC: Works a treat​
Dashcam Viewer: Dog Crap, Choppy Video. Must use Quicktime or internal system for video processing​
NextBase Viewer: Works a treat, but of course no maps, etc since I have a viofo.​
Note that all of this testing was done with the files on the local HD, a USB 3 SSD, and the card itself in a thunderbolt 3 adapter. All had the same results.​
iPhone XR
Built In Viewer: Works a treat​
Viofo App: Works a treat​
Airplay to an Apple TV: Works a treat​
I am at a loss. Since all my stuff is high horsepower I will try H.265 now. I hold the mic button right?

I'm having the same jerky playback issue on a MacBook Retina from 2016 - 1.2 gig, dual-core m5, with 8 gigs of memory.

I purchased and installed a Viofo A129 Duo with gps yesterday, replacing my Aukey Dual (which replaced my first dash cam, a Mobius spy cam.) I must say that despite all the hype, I'm really not very impressed so far with the Viofo. From the hype I though this would be, by far, the best dash cam so far. Probably a topic for another post....

I saved some videos from my Aukey on my MacBook and they playback flawlessly. The Viofo videos are jerky.

By comparison, I uploaded the videos to my google photos share and they playback fine on my iPad. Very strange.

Though I'm only now reading all of the comments about the Viofo Dual, I'm beginning to have buyers regrets after an entire day of use.

Are you sure you dont mix A129 duo with A129 duo pro, the regular duo with 2 X 1080p should be fine, the PRO with 4K front camera on the other hand seem to have some issues not least in relation to parking guard.

Playback issues are often related to a codec issue, so you can try and DL a codec pack, and i believe some players also come with a suite of codecs.
Myself i have been with windows players for a long time, with VLC on the side, now i have ditched the windows players and use pot player and still have VLC as a backup.

I am all Apple here.... Yes quicktime may not have the codex. However, if you use VLC, there is no issue. It is free
I have no issue that many are bring up here. I have posted some suggestion, if interested, on this forum

No buyer regret yet, going on 6 months and unit is always on in the truck with park mode. VIOFO 2020 A129 Pro Dual Channel Ultra 4K.
The way things are setup can make a big difference to reliability.

Use the optional hidden format in VIOFO for type of file. It work on quicktime and photo. Makes smaller files, I think, if I remember right.
Keep on working, that after 6 months, one can forget, which is a good sign. don't you think? lol

Last edited:
Back