A129 Rear Camera Or Cable Fault?

Batvan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is keeping good & well during these tough times.

Anyways, Just a quick question that hopefully someone might be able to assist me with.

My A129 Duo today started to misbehave but only when the rear view camera is plugged in? I don't know if it is the lead from the front cam to the rear cam? the port of the rear cam connection on the front/side of the front camera? or if it is the rear view camera?

Basically I've had the A129 Duo for at least 2 years or so, its been working perfectly fine until today! Now when the rear view camera is plugged in, I get the little picture of the rear view camera (top left corner of main camera screen) but then the camera is constantly beeping with the camera freezing/locking up! If I leave just the front camera plugged in (that works fine) but as soon as I plug in the rear view camera cable into the front camera it tries to switch to 1080p+1080p (which is correct) shows the rear view picture of the cam top left of the front camera screen but then randomly the front camera will beep & the screen will freeze or lock up, So I'm not sure if it is either:

A) The rear view cable (as I do get a picture)
B) The rear view camera (as I do get a picture)
C) The port on the front camera for the rear view camera (as I do get a picture)

If I unplug the rear view camera from the front camera the A129 works no problems!

I'm leaning towards it being a cable (front to rear cable) rather than the rear view camera or usb port on the front camera for the rear view.

It's a strange one as like I said, I do get a picture but it don't stay for long, within 1 minute the camera will beep & the screen will freeze or lockup.

Thanks for reading & I hope someone might be able to help me pin point what exactly the actual fault lies with!

Sometimes the cable at the rear cam works loose- be certain it is securely plugged in. If that doesn't fix things then it is probably a bad cable as some others here have found with the same symptoms you are having. The rear cam cable was upgraded in early production, perhaps you have an early cable? File a support ticket with Viofo including the serial number and they might send you a new one if you've got the old one. Tagging @niko who is the UK rep for Viofo.

Phil

Have you tried formatting the memory card ?

I am testing a 3 channel camera, but with the memory cards i have it is unreliable with 3 cameras, but if i unplug the rear camera it is steady as a rock.
But then i would assume if i just set the lowest bitrate instead of the highest the camera would also have less to do and so my memory card can keep up, but that do still not work with 3 cameras.

In my cse with that camera it dont freeze it just stop recording, so i can manual start it again but then it just stop 5 minutes later.

So i am thinking maybe if your memory card are a bit slow due to being fragmented, maybe that is what stop it from working all of a sudden.
But a format i think should resolve that.
Anyway you might want to test the memory card to see if its read and write speeds are what you should expect, there was one guy in here lately that for some reason had a memory card becoming very slow.

I am testing a 3 channel camera, but with the memory cards i have it is unreliable with 3 cameras, but if i unplug the rear camera it is steady as a rock.
But then i would assume if i just set the lowest bitrate instead of the highest the camera would also have less to do and so my memory card can keep up, but that do still not work with 3 cameras.

In my cse with that camera it dont freeze it just stop recording, so i can manual start it again but then it just stop 5 minutes later.

So i am thinking maybe if your memory card are a bit slow due to being fragmented, maybe that is what stop it from working all of a sudden.
Anyway you might want to test the memory card to see if its read and write speeds are what you should expect, there was one guy in here lately that for some reason had a memory card becoming very slow.

I have formatted the memory card using miniaide32 & I've also tried another memory card but still get the same problem/fault/issue.

Thanks

I was thinking format it in the camera.
its build in routine should make the format just as it like it.

But yeah i am also inclined to think it is the damn cable, but these other things are something that is easy to try and might also work in some cases.

Sometimes the cable at the rear cam works loose- be certain it is securely plugged in. If that doesn't fix things then it is probably a bad cable as some others here have found with the same symptoms you are having. The rear cam cable was upgraded in early production, perhaps you have an early cable? File a support ticket with Viofo including the serial number and they might send you a new one if you've got the old one. Tagging @niko who is the UK rep for Viofo.

Thanks, I just unplugged the rear view camera from the rear camera & plugged it back in so far no issues, been outside for 30mins testing & it didn't do the fault/issue once. Hopefully sorted :cool: (y)

Phil

I did format the sd card in the camera originally then tried it on my PC using miniaide32 & still the same fault/issue. I then tried another sd card but remembered that one was also fudged :( so after reading your post along with SawMaster's post, I thought to try both of your methods out & so far so good, been outside for 30mins & the camera is behaving as per usual, I tried another sd card 128gb with the fault not happening so then changed the sd card back over to the higher 200gb but gave a clean to the contacts & blew inside the sd slot along with re-plugging in the rear view camera at the rear & at the moment it all seems to be working as it should. I will keep an eye on this over the next week & update the thread etc...

Thanks guys for your assistance (y):cool::) very much appreciated & if it's saved me spending money I thank you even more :D

Well it looks like my same fault/issue is back again, was out in the car today & after 10mins the camera starts to beep, its definitely something to do with the rear cable or rear camera, think I will just buy a new rear cable & see how that goes (hopefully) its that & not the rear camera. Will keep this thread updated.

Well it looks like my same fault/issue is back again, was out in the car today & after 10mins the camera starts to beep, its definitely something to do with the rear cable or rear camera, think I will just buy a new rear cable & see how that goes (hopefully) its that & not the rear camera. Will keep this thread updated.

Have you asked if they will supply a new cable for free? Not a lot of savings but it never hurts to ask ;)

Phil

Hi SawMaster, Basically No as I purchased the camera on the 13th Semtember 2018 so I doubt it would be warranted for 2 years?

When I purchased the camera back then, the 6m cable that came with the A129 was faulty so they replaced that then for me for free.

Thanks SawMaster I have asked Viofo via amazon considering I was there 1st reviewer if they would maybe? offer a good will gesture so lets see what happens but thanks for bring that information to my attention, I doubt that they will honour anything but as you said "it never hurts to ask"

Well got a reply back from Viofo via Amazon & they said that they will send me out a new rear cable & rear camera for free :) so happy days, after 20 months from the original purchase date I can't complain about that as a service :cool: I just hope it's definitely one or the other, looking forward to receiving the replacements within the next 1-2 weeks so will keep this updated & if I need to purchase another dash-cam in the future then Viofo will definitely be getting my business for sure.(y)

Received this morning a free replacement rear cable & A129 rear camera from Viofo via Amazon uk so hopefully if not today definitely by Friday I will get this changed over & will update the thread with what the actual fault was/is...

Update:

It was the rear camera cable that was at fault, replaced the rear camera 1st but still no joy, camera was still freezing & beeping so replaced the rear camera cable yesterday & straightaway it started to work faultlessly with no freezing or beeping :)

Thanks to Viofo for sending me out a free replacement on the rear view camera & cable even after 22 months of original purchase date in September 2018 via Amazon uk. :cool:(y)

Last edited:

Back