A129 - Rear View Camera -> Kenwood Head Unit

TisDone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my A129 up and running in my car, and it is working great. I've also just installed a Kenwood DMX7705S as a new stereo head unit (yay for Android Auto). Now that I have the radio and connection to my phone working right, I want to see if it's possible to get the AV Out from the A129 as a video input to the Kenwood's rear camera input. I'm presuming I'll be able to turn off the picture-in-picture mode, just show the rear camera on the A129, and then that is what will be the video output on AV Out.

Based on info read here and in the A119 forum, I've purchased a cable (Amazon Link: http://a.co/dBbOCTJ). I've checked the wiring on the cable, and it is indeed wired just like the cable in the second post of this thread (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/)

I'll be opening up the dashboard on in a few days to get this wired, but before doing that, I wanted to test it inside the house. When I do - I get a clear video signal on the TV, but its only in black and white, and it has a rolling scroll bar top to bottom every second or so. Thinking it might be a PAL/NTSC type thing (I live in the US). I don't see a PAL/NTSC output setting, only the Frequency 50/60 hz setting, which a few other forum posts for the A119 suggests that also handles the PAL/NTSC issue. However - the same black and white image with that scrolling bar is visible whether I have it set to 50 or 60hz.

So - any ideas on what is going on? Is it indeed a PAL/NTSC issue? I'll still be opening up the dashboard in a few days to reprogram the buttons on the Maestro RR and re-route the wires for connecting my phone to the radio, so I'm going to give it a try. But, if anyone has any other suggestions for things I should be looking for to get it working right in the house, I'd appreciate it.

Also - assuming the video comes out properly on the Kenwood - is there any way to turn off the icons/image overlay on the AV Out feed so that info doesn't show up on the Kenwood Display?

Thanks, Eric

@5Cowbells has done some testing with the AV out. I remember he has talked about a similar issue, so maybe he can help.

I'll be opening up the dashboard on in a few days to get this wired, but before doing that, I wanted to test it inside the house. When I do - I get a clear video signal on the TV, but its only in black and white, and it has a rolling scroll bar top to bottom every second or so. Thinking it might be a PAL/NTSC type thing (I live in the US). I don't see a PAL/NTSC output setting, only the Frequency 50/60 hz setting, which a few other forum posts for the A119 suggests that also handles the PAL/NTSC issue. However - the same black and white image with that scrolling bar is visible whether I have it set to 50 or 60hz.
So - any ideas on what is going on? Is it indeed a PAL/NTSC issue?
Yes, the symptoms indicate a PAL/NTSC issue. This was an issue on the A119 until Viofo fixed it in Firmware Version 2.0 using the 50/60Hz setting (use 60Hz in the USA). Probably likewise fixable on the A129 by firmware should @viofo choose to do so. Many new TVs accept either PAL or NTSC automatically (check your Head unit specs) so it is not an issue, but my 2007 Sony TV is NTSC only. Your wiring is good.
Also - assuming the video comes out properly on the Kenwood - is there any way to turn off the icons/image overlay on the AV Out feed so that info doesn't show up on the Kenwood Display?
No, not for the A119 that I'm aware of. The display on the TV is identical to that on the LCD screen, except larger. The AV output is analog standard definition TV.

You may need another cable for the head unit, find your input in the manual and get the manufacturer part number for the cable if needed. Looked into that once but for a different head unit here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/page-2#post-298509.

Hi all - thanks for the responses. The end goal of this is to be able to use the A129's rear camera as the video input for the DMX7705s's rear view parking camera. Kenwood makes a dedicated multi-angle/view camera (CMOS-320) - but I don't feel like spending $279 or higher for that at this time. Getting the two-for-one feature of getting the reverse/parking camera feature out of the A129 seems like it would be a great way to get the improved point of view without spending the extra dough right now. The specs for the head unit list PAL/NTSC as a setting for the head unit's video output - but I can't find such a spec listed on the camera video inputs, the manual doesn't mention that such a setting exists (only that you can choose between enabling the features of Kenwood's fancy camera vs "other" cameras. If it doesn't work out, I may spring for another camera instead, but figured it's worth a shot to experiment. I'll report back after I've tried the install tomorrow.

you'll find the video feed from the A129 is not suitable for reverse camera duties, the overlays are annoying and will be in the way a lot of the time, bigger problem is the image is not mirrored so what you see on screen will be back to front, with a proper reverse cam it's just like using your rearview mirror, what you see on the left side is on the left, what you see on the right is on the right, with the dashcam what is on your left will show on the right, what's on the right will show on the left, that may seem trivial but it becomes an issue pretty quickly, particularly if someone else gets in your car

I run Kenwood head units in our work vehicles, you do need to run specific types of cameras to suit the way they work, but you don't need to spend anywhere near the price of the one they suggest using, get a proper reverse cam, you'll find it is so much better

Some addition info to the OP: Found a DMX-7705S manual online here: http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-2301-00_En.pdf.
1. In the specs Video Section page 103, the manual states that "Color System of External Input Video: NTSC", but maybe check with Kenwood to be sure. If the A129 AV out does not give you an option to output a NTSC signal, this could be a problem. The specs make no distinction between the various video inputs. NTSC implies an analog composite video standard definition TV signal in the North American format.
2. Choosing the input: Manual page 94 shows Dashcam video inputs for a forward camera and a rear camera and appear to be RCA jacks (video only) - items 10 and 11. It appears these input cables may be supplied with the either the Head Unit or the intended Kenwood Dashcam DRV-N520 dashcam accessory, not sure which. No accessory P/N is given {Edit: for the cable.}
3. Choosing the input: Manual page 71 and 95 shows an AV In signal (Item 6) that will probably work and give you Video and Left and Right Audio also. This is a 3.5mm plug to 3 RCA Jack cable. It will interface with your A119 cable's RCA plugs. P95 shows the accessory cable P/N to be Kenwood CA-C3AV, which is quite expensive at $30-$50 from most sources. A sampling: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=CA-C3AV. Found a wiring diagram for CA-C3AV here: http://www.kenwood.eu/car/accessories/adapter_cables/CA-C3AV/ . Note that the wiring on the 3.5mm plug is not the same as the wiring on the 3.5mm plug for the A119. Have to be very careful with AV wiring, different units wired differently out to the RCA Jacks/plugs. You can't always know for sure if a substitute cable will work or not. Check wiring continuity before connecting. Of particular importance is that the ground pins from both input and output units should be connected to the RCA connector coaxial shields.

Maybe useful as a reverse/backup camera, {Edit: menu changes,} or for test and alignment, but otherwise for safety I'm not a big fan of using a dashcam display while driving.

Last edited:
Hi all - thanks for the info. The results are partially mixed. Happily the head unit picked up the Pal video and displayed it nice and crisply. I could have put up with the extra icons on the screen. But, as mentioned by others, the mirror issue would be problematic. Curiously, the DMX7705s includes an option for mirroring the front camera, but not there rear. But, the rear camera input is the only one that has a 'Rear Camera Interruption' feature as a reversing camera. I'm curious what use case Kenwood has in mind for enabling mirror on the front camera but not the rear. Why not both? Oh well. It was a worthy experiment while I had things open. In the meantime I've picked up a regular rear view camera on a Prime Day deal, and will just have to put up with having two cameras mounted in the back. I already have the video cable run while I was working yesterday, so at least I don't need to open the trim/remove the radio again. Thanks again.

I'm curious what use case Kenwood has in mind for enabling mirror on the front camera but not the rear. Why not both? .

reverse cameras have a mirrored output so that left is left, right is right when viewing the screen, when you put one of those cameras on the front you need the opposite which is why the head unit has an option to flip the image for the front

Back