A129ProDuo warms up and reboots

Is the mattal mesh in the fifth photo needed for heat or to protect GPS from interference?
In the last photo just on the holes pasted a strip "tyy...". What is this? Can I stick it somewhere else?
Above the battery something connected by a red and black wire (microphone?) is glued to the most cooled part of the radiator...

Last edited:
Is the mattal mesh in the fifth photo needed for heat or to protect GPS from interference?
In the last photo just on the holes pasted a strip "tyy...". What is this? Can I stick it somewhere else?
Above the battery something connected by a red and black wire (microphone?) is glued to the most cooled part of the radiator...
1. To block RFI interference.
2. Wifi antenna I think...
3. Yes, microphone.

What holds the copper plate in place?

This time rode with the back camera disconnected. I took the camera out today. Probably a little thermopaste and taped air vents.
That's pretty messy. (even more than mine was) All of these pictures are immediately after you disasembled it or did you try to wipe it off before you took the photos? Because i think a see a pretty large "air bubble" between the copper spacer and chipset.

I hope the layer between heatsink and shield is actually after your wiped it off... :ROFLMAO:

Btw: be carefull with that flex cable which connects the upper part to the PCB. It looks like it could by part of the problems...

Basically nothing. It's fixed only by the sides of the shield and by the thermal paste's viscosity and stickiness. But it's nice and tight between each "layer".

Last edited:
1. To block RFI interference.
2. Wifi antenna I think...
3. Yes, microphone.

1. Then can I remove it by getting a few holes in the case?
2. You also have to paste...
3. Thought that the microphone on the other side (metal disc glued in place of the camera holder attachment). Or are there two microphones?

The copper plate just falls on the chip and is covered with an aluminum box.

Do I need to make a hole at the top of the case? And then all the holes below the radiator ...

3. Thought that the microphone on the other side (metal disc glued in place of the camera holder attachment). Or are there two microphones?
That glued thing on the other side is a speaker. The thing at the end of the wires is really the microphone (you can even see "MIC" on the PCB on the other end of the wires).

I forgot that there is also a speaker in the registrar:)

1. Then can I remove it by getting a few holes in the case?
2. You also have to paste...

The copper plate just falls on the chip and is covered with an aluminum box.

Do I need to make a hole at the top of the case? And then all the holes below the radiator ...
1. I would leave it, could be problems without it.
2. I would leave that too, it will not make much difference to the cooling.
3. As above, the one connected where it says "MIC" on the PCB is the microphone.

Hole in the top of the case, I am not sure why there isn't one, that would I think make a significant improvement, just a small one in the top centre to get the air moving.

However, it should be working without extra holes, so I would just reassemble it with most of that thermal paste removed, and without the bubble. You are supposed to use only a very thin layer of paste, only just visible, not a huge amount! Although it is thermal paste, the thermal conduction will not be very good, the thinner the better.

But it's not a processor where you can push. I understand that even a thick layer of thermorasta will be better than air. In addition, the top radiator has a very rough surface and all the voids will have to be filled.

You definitely need well spreaded thin layer between chipset <-> copper <-> shield. Keep in mind that it's really tight space and anything extra gonna be squeezed out (many thermal pastes are electrically conductive!)

Sure between the heatsink and shield you can apply a bit more. Still be carefull and don't overdo it - it's not Nutella. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
All of these pictures are immediately after you disasembled it or did you try to wipe it off before you took the photos?
Sorry, I haven't read it carefully...
Today I disassembled, photographed and collected :)

Wait, those accidental touches made of thermal paste were genuinely under the heatsink when you took it off? :D

Probably manual work. Each device is unique :)

Bad employees are frequently responsible for premature failure of equipment since they don't care as much for the quality control protocols specially when they are not being supervised with frequency. Also it could be that production is being pushed way too fast at the production chain.

Yep, but most of the time it's pretty difficult to identify who did it wrong.
for you yeah, it's traceable though, on a production line the same person will do the same task over and over, takes larger volumes before you get to the stage of multiple people doing the same task

Thermal paste is best at "just enough", excess or voids can lead to hot-spots.

Wondering aloud how it's dispensed on a production line? Shouldn't be too hard to make a dispenser that gives an exact quantity which would increase reliability, reduce potential waste, and might even be easier and faster to use than coming from a tube they way us hobbyists have to do things for ourselves.

Phil

Thermal paste is best at "just enough", excess or voids can lead to hot-spots.

Wondering aloud how it's dispensed on a production line? Shouldn't be too hard to make a dispenser that gives an exact quantity which would increase reliability, reduce potential waste, and might even be easier and faster to use than coming from a tube they way us hobbyists have to do things for ourselves.

Phil
From one of the above pictures from the internals. It is evident that there is a warp either on the copper or the chip and I'm inclined to believe it is in the copper plate. As you can see, thermal paste was applied to the processor first then the copper plate placed on top of it failing to make an uniform contact in the center of the chip. Could that be that the layer of the thermal paste was too thick to begin with? Don't know but it can be verified by trying to clean up entirely and reapply with a very thin coat, then lift the plate again to see if the air pocket still exist. But likely you will still find that empty void if indeed that plate is warped.

It’s more likely that there’s not enough pressure on the copper to both spread out the paste and make a very thin layer hence the area where there’s nothing.

Unless there’s a reason for the thin ali plate then it might be better to just use the copper plate and thermal adhesive?

Excessive resistance in the power cable can also cause the camera to randomly reset itself. I had two cameras, one in front and one in back. the one in back would occasionally reset it self. I swapped the cameras, and the problem remained in the back. I have since used much heavier gauge wire in the power cable, and the problem went away.

That being said, the void in the thermal compound between the copper heat spreader and the IC is worrisome.

Back