A139 2ch vs 3ch

Tritium

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can an additional camera be added to the 2ch package at a later date or are the windscreen mounted cameras different between the 2ch and 3ch packages?
If the 3ch is set up as a 2ch can the main/front camera be run at 60fs?

The cameras will be identical, just the box and contents will be different. The extra camera just plugs in .

I believe you can even use two rear cameras instead of rear + interior , although I don’t think two interior cameras can be used.

Not sure what the exact rules on 60fps are, I recommend using 30fps, but I think the answer is yes,

I have run my A139 in 2 channels with 60 FPS on the front camera, but i think this 60 FPS option have been remover in later firmware's.
And thats just fine for me 30 FPS is what people should be running on a dashcam, you can run 60 if you want to make cinematic footage, but then a dashcam is the wrong tool.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

you can run 60 if you want to make cinematic footage, but then a dashcam is the wrong tool.
Most of the “experts “ that want “cinematic” footage seem to want 24fps, and from a dashcam that looks terrible, shutter speed is always far too fast.

Dashcams are not designed as movie cameras and don’t do that job well, they are designed to capture evidence and the A139 is one of the best for that. A129 Pro single channel at 4K 60fps is pretty good for movies but it is not really “cinematic” since it will still use very fast shutter speeds.

For evidence you only need 30fps, at that speed any spare bitrate is better used for luminance or chromatic information than extra temporal information.

Yes apparently slapping a ND filter on a action camera will give more cinematic footage, i just see more motion blur which i see as a result of antiquated filming equipment / dident have better at the time, but not really as something i would like to see too much off in modern filming as i just see motion blur as a effect.

It is more than enough i have to live with motion blur in my dashcam in lower light conditions, though then it just annoy me as the motion blur steal the little info i might need, and it sure is not something that make me thing " OMG things are really moving here"

PS: i do have a small set of ND filters for my action camera, but i use them very careful in very bright circumstances.

ND filters help a lot if you are making movies at 30 or 24fps, but at 60fps they are not needed, and not helpful unless you like motion blurred movies, which some people apparently do!

So for me action cameras run at 60fps, and dashcams at 30fps, at least until memory card sizes increase to 10x what they are at present and dashcams can record 60fps 8K video without overheating!

I have run my A139 in 2 channels with 60 FPS on the front camera, but i think this 60 FPS option have been remover in later firmware's.
Not sure about official v1.5 but beta v1.6 still has this mode.

I believe you can even use two rear cameras instead of rear + interior , although I don’t think two interior cameras can be used.
Both rear as well as both interior is possible. The only issue is that in case of both rear the "IR backlight" needs to be off all the time because otherwise it switches the interior input to black&white. And for both interior, same goes the W&B and only one is able to turn-off the IR light.

Both rear as well as both interior is possible. The only issue is that in case of both rear the "IR backlight" needs to be off all the time because otherwise it switches the interior input to black&white. And for both interior, same goes the W&B and only one is able to turn-off the IR light.
So both rear can work correctly, if you turn off IR.
But both interior can not work correctly because only one can have the IR working.

So both rear can work correctly, if you turn off IR.
Correct.

But both interior can not work correctly because only one can have the IR working.
Actually both IR (I mean IR LEDs this time) are turned on by default, but only one of them is able to turn in off when it should be off. Probably just a software thing that Viofo expects to send the command only through one input (only guessing).

Correct.

Actually both IR (I mean IR LEDs this time) are turned on by default, but only one of them is able to turn in off when it should be off. Probably just a software thing that Viofo expects to send the command only through one input (only guessing).
And when you turn the LEDs off, the image becomes colour and is turned magenta by the LEDs that failed to turn off?

Might be able to get that fixed.

Back