A139 - Buffered Parking Mode

I think I found a similar thing with mine. Closing the door (even quite harshly) won't set off the g-sensor in parking mode. I can set it off tapping the side of the camera though.

I can not set off the parking G sensor ( on high ) on my SG9663DR camera, but there it is due to it being draped over the center console in its wires and so not mounted rigid enough to pick up any G - shock.
If i drop a match on the main unit it will go off.

But as we are talking A139 cameras here i assume they are firmly attached to the windscreen and so should pick up any G forces.

The very solid mounting of the A139 makes possible the best g-sensor functioning, but doesn't ensure that will happen. I think g-sensor is optimal in driving mode so I can't understand why mine doesn't do at least fairly well in parking mode. As I understand things (and I might be wrong) there is but one piece of hardware involved- the g-sensor module itself- so it just doesn't make sense to me when everyone elses doesn't seem to be similarly afflicted..

Phil

I think I found a similar thing with mine. Closing the door (even quite harshly) won't set off the g-sensor in parking mode. I can set it off tapping the side of the camera though.

same for me. G-Sensor on high isn't reacting to closing or opening the car or even when I'm getting inside the car and take place on the car seat. G-Sensor "only" reacts when I am giving a tap on the Dashcam itself.

I recently purchased and installed an A139 2 Channel in my truck. I purchased it based on its advertised Parking Mode capabilities. The unit came preinstalled with firmware version 1.2 This is my first dash cam so, I’m a newbie here! I’m hoping individuals with more experience can help me. I’ve been trying to test the Auto Detect Event Parking Mode and I have a few questions.

I have the Loop Recording set at 1 minute, but there are many times when the Parking Mode Video is 4 or 5 minutes long, etc. Does the Parking Mode use the Loop Recording Timer or does it just continue to record into a single file until there is no motion detected?

It appears kind of hit or miss with the Motion Detection Sensitivity Levels. Even with the Sensitivity Level set to low and my car is parked in the garage, I’m getting events recorded. I think this maybe caused by shadows moving across the garage door windows?

As for the Parking G Sensor, I’ve been unable to get it to activate while jumping up and down on my rear bumper, slamming a door, etc. It may be that the type of movement I can manually create does not have the shock value required by the sensor. Has anyone actually had an event recorded due to the Parking G Sensor?

Are any triggered Parking Mode Videos automatically locked? (G Sensor?)

Thanks!

Just got back from going out to dinner, parked in the north 40. I had the Parking Mode Timer set for 30 minutes. It recorded over 5gb of video and this is with the Motion Detection set to Low. I'm begining to think Parking Mode is over rated. I'm not sure anyone else is doing it better then Viofo, but from what I can tell this feature is a bust. If I hadn't put so much effort into the install, it would be in a box on it's way back to Amazon.

Last edited:
G-sensor is hardware-based, there is a part in each cam doing the activation. There can and will be variations in those parts, so there can and will be some variation in how well it works in each cam. Motion-detect is software-based, when there's a change in a certain amount of pixels in the sensor's view it activates. Thus each and every cam should behave near-identically with that as only sensor variations can affect it, and those are minuscule. I'm using the same 'software' as everyone else, so I cannot understand how anyone gets a different result than me- it shouldn't be happening.

Over time one of the things we've learned about M/D is that changes in light, blinking LED's in a cam's view from devices nearby or a car's security system can 'trip up' this function, activating it unexpectedly. Especially the blinking LED's can be hard to deal with at any sensitivity setting. Changing traffic signals can do the same thing. The cam doesn't have to directly 'see' these sources; they can be reflected off the glass and still cause problems. Anything changing is any part of any cam's view can activate M/D if it's significant enough.

So before dumping M/D as not working check carefully for activation sources such as these, remembering that with the A139 every cam is detecting, not just the front one. If it's an in-car activation source you'll see similar results no matter where you park; if it's an outside source activating you'll get varying results. If possible test it in a 'sterile' environment such as a closed garage or parked somewhere on a cloudless day where there will be no kind of movement around or in the car. Try it with the rear cam unplugged then with just the cabin cam unplugged. At some point there should be an indication of what or at least where the problem is, then maybe there can be a fix.

Phil

Yeah if there is a lot going on, like parking at the curb of a busy road, then motion detect are pretty much recording all the time, and find a event will be as problematic as if you had used low bitrate.
This is why i insist of G sensor must be available to lock or at least "flag" times when something have actually happened.

I have as little faith in parking guard as i have in general plate capture, both seem to have a few things that need to line up to be ideal.
And both of those are as low as my faith in people leaving a note when they have hit / dinged your car.
And i am very happy i dont really feel like i have a actual need for parking guard, so the 1 hour on the timer i use it, cover my shopping, which is probably where most of the dents on the side of my car come from.

Last edited:
@SawMaster and @kamkar thank you for your responses.

Assuming Motion Detection did work for me and if my Loop Timer is set to 1 minute, Should each of the Parking Mode Videos be 1 minute long where motion was detected? I have individual Parking Mode Videos that are 5+ minutes in length even though I have my Loop Timer set at 1?

So assuming someone hits my car going fast enough to activate the G-Sensor, will that video be in the Locked Folder?

@kamkar Are using Low Bit Recording versus Event Detection?

Thanks, Dave

I think if you use motion detect files can be of varying length as a recording would run until X seconds after movent stopped, so using that you will probably see different length files.
On the other hand using G - sensor as the trigger this most often have a pre-buffer, so you will have something like 10 seconds from before the trigger event and then they usually stop 20 seconds later ( assuming your vehicle do not get hit again and again )

I assume what they call event detection is G - sensor activation. i assume some can have both motion detect going + G - sensor, but as i understand it using low bitrate recording it is not always possible to have G sensor on beside that.

The SG camera and the Viofo A139 i am testing now both allow for low bitrate and G - sensor, i know this CUZ every time i get into my car after shopping and close the door, the camera say event detected, and by then it is still in parking mode as i have not yet turned on the car.

As always play around with your new toy to familiarize yourself with it, that could be sneaking up to the car if you use motion detect, using what ever cover you can find, and maybe low light at night.
G sensor i normally test by kicking the wheels of my car with the bottom of my foot, if it is good that can actually set if off, even if you cant kick a steel rim that hard without hurting yourself.

You can also slap the windscreen, or push the car sideways by pushing above the doors where you can put some force into it without making a dent in the side of your car.

If you loose track there always is a reset to default option in the menu.

here is a old video of me sneaking up on the Luaks dashcam i had in the car back then, you can see in the text down below what mode it is in.

Back