A139 Cable / Connector Type?

snowluck2345

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get an A139 and use it for my truck. I need an 8-10m cable. Does VIOFO offer a longer cable or does anyone know the connector type and cable impedance? My best guess is MMCX and 50 ohm.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum snowluck.

I think you are right on the MMCX plug type, but i have no idea about the wire, i have just looked over the "spare" cable i have from my first test sample that got vandalized, but no writing on the cable about impedance on the thing.

I don't believe my test version of the A139 had any numbers on it, but the production version I bought a week ago has this on the rear cable:

TFC RG174LL-1 05C 0348

Looks like you need RG174 cable with MMCX connectors I guess.

Last edited:
The cable are pretty long, in my little car i could have routed it into the engine bay around the motor and all the way back to the rear window.
I think when my little local electronics store open i might go searching for a couple of new plugs ( one of then angled 90 degrees ) and then refurbish the first long cable that got vandalized.

Not so sure i would try and extend the original cable, would make more sense to make a new longer one. ( if the price are not insane of course )
But as they sell a 15 M long one, i would like to wee what regular vehicle are too long for that to be enough

I'm a bit rusty, but I think the coax numbers indicate "low loss" RG 174 with a teflon core insulation. Teflon is often used in other low-loss coax. IIRC it's either 50 or 52 ohm. If Viofo is spending to use this expensive type of coax for supplied lengths, it's probably necessary, and the supplied cables might also be as long as they can go reliably.

I'd sure love for someone to play with this and share their results with us, as coax should be much better with long runs than the USB-type wires usually found going to rear/remote cams.

Phil

I'm a bit rusty, but I think the coax numbers indicate "low loss" RG 174 with a teflon core insulation. Teflon is often used in other low-loss coax. IIRC it's either 50 or 52 ohm. If Viofo is spending to use this expensive type of coax for supplied lengths, it's probably necessary, and the supplied cables might also be as long as they can go reliably.

I'd sure love for someone to play with this and share their results with us, as coax should be much better with long runs than the USB-type wires usually found going to rear/remote cams.

Phil
I plan to test probably some thinner coax cables (something like a RG178 or even RF1.37). :giggle: I need to squeeze it into some even tighter areas and don't need particularly long cable so i'll give it a try.

Last edited:
I need to squeeze it into some even tighter areas and don't need particularly long cable so i'll give it a try.
Just remember to check the specs for minimum radius on bends. The thin coax cables have very little room for center conductor migration before shorting. Viofo's choice of teflon insulation may be related to that. Migration also affects impedence but I don't think that would be an issue here though I could be wrong.

Phil

Yeah, i do try my best to put as little bends in rear camera wires as i can.

Please contact us to get the longer version, it can be up to 15 meters.

Off topic, but general FYI (For Your Information), your website pops up that its still looking for product testers on the A139. I presume now that you are at production level, this is no longer accurate. May wish to remove that screen? Or are you taking product reviews again?

Wow, that is remarkable (y) Much better than the other 2-channel cams for distance to the rear cam :cool:

Phil

yeah, you can put a multi channel viofo A139 in your pretty big winnebago :)

Last edited:
Nice.
I think i will get me some, and then make a shorter interior camera wire as where i have that camera mounted in relation to the front camera the wire is at least 2 X longer than it need to be.

What about little game? Spot the differences :ROFLMAO:

20210409_215511.jpg
Yes, RF1.37 works! Too bad i bought only 5m... (will see about reliability)
xhthfthhyrxhdsr.gif

Last edited:
@Nath must still be young- been a long time since I could see and work with tiny stuff without massive magnification :rolleyes:

Phil

@SawMaster , @Nigel Well, I thought about mentioning it but i didn't want to offend anybody. :ROFLMAO: I'm about to pass middle-age, so indeed fairly young, but nothing for college girls. :cry:

Back