A139 external microphone

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Here is a sample of the build in microphone ( first 17 seconds ) VS the external MIC.

The sensitivity of the 2 are much the same i think, you do however easy hear the welcome / start MSG are much louder on the internal MIC VS the external one i have installed on the left side of my sun visor closest to the driver side window.
This is recorded at the car wash with the driver side window open and as you can see quite windy day, the one wash tunnel have not functioning doors, so they are open while it wash cars so more background noise VS normal.

The external MIC do have a better sound i think, the build in are a bit "thin" in the sound i think.

The content of the MIC box from Viofo.

img_20210409_114834-jpg.56162

A recording from the internal camera using EXT microphone, compiled the same was as above clips,,,,,,, well that turned out funny.

Needless to say on my PC everything are normal with the raw footage.

For some reason my editing software ( powerdirector 17 ) turn the speed up on these clips ( just trim a little off the end and then output )
First i tried regular mp4 H264 which gave the result above, then i tried HVEC with the same result, then i tried to output it to windows mediaplayer ( some option in the editing software ) and then it worked just fine.

BUT !!!! this is just the footage from the interior camera ( have not tested rear camera yet ) editing the footage from the front camera are no problem at all as can be seen and heard in the first post.
SO ! i do think it mist be something with the output from the camera / interior camera, the raw files all play fine on my PC, it is when i edit them it go speedy gonzarles.

The original sound like this ( with a not normal output format selected in my editing software )

I will examine if the problem is also there with the footage from the rear camera, maybe @viofo @VIOFO-Support want to have a look at this too, i will also upådate later on with the firmware version on the camera.
I will also test if the problem are only there if using the external microphone, but i dont think that is the problem, but i will check anyway.

The sensitivity of the 2 are much the same i think,
It does have an auto volume adjustment, so they are probably both adjusting to the background noise, hence the same level. Might be good to do a test with the engine off and no background noise, then see which best records the indicator relay clicking or something else quiet. If you have a Rolls-Royce then you would record the clock ticking!

Okay made new recordings today, this time i used the blinker relay and the sound of my rear window wiper as targets from the microphone.
Both things you easy hear with the naked eye in the car, and thats also how it come across in these recordings i think.

Back