A139 Missing Video - Stopped Recording (Fixed)

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
My pre-release A139 has normally been very reliable. However I checked the files from a drive yesterday and saw there were some missing files.

- The A139 correctly recorded 1-minute files on all 3 channels up to 2022_0920_125643_F
- The next file 2022_0920_125743_F is only 3 seconds long, with matching I and R files.
- Then there is a gap of 6 seconds
- The next file 2022_0920_125753_F is only 2 seconds long, with only a matching Rear file. The Interior file is missing.
- The A139 did not record the final 10 minutes of my journey.
- It did switch correctly to parking mode when I stopped at 13:08, and recorded all the time while parked.
- It did switch back to normal mode again at 13:31 and appears to have recorded OK everything after that.

- I have startup sounds enabled, and the camera did not make any shutdown or startup sound while driving.
- The A139 is hard-wired to a LiFePO4 battery with HK3
- The microSD card is a 256GB WD Purple U3
- The missing files are not in the RO folder.
- All GPS time stamps appear to be correct.
- FW is version V1.6-0602

2022_0920.jpg

1663750166713.png

I suspect it may be a memory card issue. I will run some checks on it.

It is a pre-release A139 received for testing, so it owes me nothing. I do want a reliable camera though, so it might be time to buy something new.

Well, I'm hoping it's just the memory card. Yesterday the A139 rebooted 10s after startup, recorded multiple videos <10s long with gaps in-between throughout a 3-minute drive to the post office, failed to enter parking mode at the post office or record any of the drive home, then completely locked up on my driveway.

I'll try a different card, but if this continues the A139 might be going to the bin.

1.) Trying a different card seems to be the best option and is always the first suspect.
2.) Did you check the previous files prior to that for when this may have happened or was that day(September 20) the first time this occurred? Just trying to figure out if a recent firmware update could be the culprit or maybe this has been going on since the last time you updated the firmware and you never knew...

You're an experienced user that everyone looks up to here so I'm sure that you will let us know the outcome and details of your troubleshooting.

I guess there is always a possibility that this could also be an issue with having the pre-release dashcam hardware but I'm not sure that would be the case here given the number of people that got this as a pre-release hardware...

It would normally beep on a memory card problem, and if it restarted recording then I would expect a beep. Is the speaker working?
Might depend on what the problem is though. Maybe wipe the card contacts with some alcohol wipes and full reformat it with the SD card formatter.

Was wifi turned off?

The A139 seems to have been one of the most reliable cameras, everything seems to work very nicely, so quite likely a card issue of some sort.

The speaker is fine. It beeped once (startup sound) a few seconds after leaving the driveway which was suspicious. None of the other restarts were accompanied by sounds. Externally, it appeared to be working normally, until it froze and I couldn't turn it off with a long press of the power button.

For most of initial testing I was using a Viofo 64GB card and that was OK. I think I've only seen this problem with the WD 256GB card. I reformatted and tested the WD in h2testw without any issues.

I quality set to maximum. The behaviour is what I might expect from a slow card, however the WD U3 card should be fast enough.

I've now gone back to the Viofo 64GB card to see if any issues persist.

I've not updated the firmware for many months. Previous recordings appeared to be OK. Wifi was off.

I have a MotoProCam that was behaving in a very similar manner. It would seemingly skip files and cut some short and at times not record at all. I too was thinking it was the DVR. I thought it was heat related so I re-positioned the DVR. That was not the answer. I thought it was the SD card so I swapped it and re-formatted it over and over. Still not the answer. I replaced the power supply with a new style that was a bit more robust and that solved the problem. The power supply was evidently failing intermittently. Since replacing the 5 volt power supply, I have had no issues at all.

The power supply I installed is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09B2Y71F7
It has two 5 volt output umbilicals. I have successfully used this power supply to power my MotoProCam and simultaneously charge my cell phone. There is also a single output power supply here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B086DF7646
They are so inexpensive, I've ordered two of each and subsequently installed one other one for a friend.

Last edited:
I replaced the power supply with a new style that was a bit more robust and I that solved the problem. The power supply was evidently failing intermittently.
After the memory card, the power supply is a frequent cause of dashcam failures. It is recommended to use the power supply that comes with the camera, unless you have reason and knowledge to use a suitable alternative.

After the memory card, the power supply is a frequent cause of dashcam failures. It is recommended to use the power supply that comes with the camera, unless you have reason and knowledge to use a suitable alternative.
There is no doubting that the power supply module was defective. After two months of use and over 5,000 miles on the motorcycle, the DVR is is working lawlessly with the replacement after market power module.

After going back to the Viofo 64GB card the A139 seemed to be working well. However today it locked up again after failing to record. A long-press on the power button did nothing, even after pressing reset it re-locked itself, so I pulled the plug.

1666194754209.png
The I left home at 16:05 and returned at 16:37 (note the interior camera video is missing). The short recording at 16:38 was after I pulled the power plug. The previous trip up to 13:47 was recorded OK on all channels. I just found another set of recordings from this morning where only the F and R channels were recorded, and only for a short duration.

I will re-state that this is a pre-release camera, not a retail version. I'm not sure of the value of finding and fixing the issue on a pre-release camera, when the retail version is proving to be very reliable.

Last edited:
Did you check the interior camera if keeps disconnected, it happened to me once when I was driving the interior camera keep disconnect and stop recording I heard voice notification "2 channel starts recording" for couple of seconds then disconnect and start recording with 3 channel again till I checked the cable it was loose then I fixed.

Enable all voice notification you will hear "2 or 3 channel start recording" if one of your camera got disconnected

Last edited:
Did you check the interior camera if keeps disconnected, it happened to me once when I was driving the interior camera keep disconnect and stop recording I heard voice notification "2 channel starts recording" for couple of seconds then disconnect and start recording with 3 channel again till I checked the cable it was loose then I fixed.

Enable all voice notification you will hear "2 or 3 channel start recording" if one of your camera got disconnected
Thanks, I'll try turning the voice notification back on. At the moment I just have all the beeps on.

You can try to use the 1-channel or 2 channels first, and set the bitrate to low, it will help to confirm if it is related to the card issue.

I think there was a loose connection of the interior camera cable. Since upgrading that camera with a telephoto lens (and plugging things back together) I have not experienced any missed recording.

I have the same problem and it's very very frustrating. I bought A139 a month ago and use it as a front an rear dashcam for the trip footage. 3 days ago I realized the missed videos problem and turn on the voice check feature. Then I hear the commands. Video recording stops every time car had a problem with road like a pothole and sometimes without any reason. I tried 3 different cards (Sandisk Extreme 64 and 128, Sandisk Max Endurance 128GB) which are all certified by Viofo but nothing changed. Very disappointed with my purchase.

I have the same problem and it's very very frustrating. I bought A139 a month ago and use it as a front an rear dashcam for the trip footage. 3 days ago I realized the missed videos problem and turn on the voice check feature. Then I hear the commands. Video recording stops every time car had a problem with road like a pothole and sometimes without any reason. I tried 3 different cards (Sandisk Extreme 64 and 128, Sandisk Max Endurance 128GB) which are all certified by Viofo but nothing changed. Very disappointed with my purchase.
Welcome Ovgu,

How is your dashcam connected to power? Cigarette lighter or via the hardwire kit?

1_01.jpg

or
1683428613504.png

Thank you LateralNW. Sorry for the late response, I've just realized the message actually.

The unit connected with the original cigarette lighter cable. I have HK3-C but didn't have time to install it. Actually I doubt the power source and maybe hardwiring can save me. Vibrations make A139 restart in my situation but it restarted maybe 10 times in 10 minutes and sometimes the vehicle even not moving.

I can try changing the power source with a power bank. It can be a fast diagnosis. BTW do you recommend any particular adjustments in the settings?

Back