A139 New Accessory

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Don't have pricing yet from Viofo, but I remember they mentioned a tamper proof lock being available for the A139. Here is image that support sent me. I asked the cost, as I may be interested in adding this to my vehicle.

1622555977994.png

Finally! I was interested in this bracket and since there was no update I recently even contacted my friend with CNC machine (but he asked me for a model which I don't have time to design right now). :LOL: It seems that it is no longer necessary...

Too bad it looks like a normal inbus (hex key screw), so nothing hard to overcome with a basic toolset. Not to mention that these screw heads are exposed to any pliers.

Last edited:
Too bad it looks like a normal inbus (hex key screw), so nothing hard to overcome with a basic toolset. Not to mention that these screw heads are exposed to any pliers.
You can always replace them by your own design of keyed screw.

Although it will still be possible to cut a straight cut with a hacksaw to make it removable by a flat bladed screwdriver! Few people are going to make the effort though, it is a deterrent, not a 100% secure solution, just meant to deter the fleet driver from removing power or SD card.

You can always replace them by your own design of keyed screw.

Although it will still be possible to cut a straight cut with a hacksaw to make it removable by a flat bladed screwdriver! Few people are going to make the effort though, it is a deterrent, not a 100% secure solution, just meant to deter the fleet driver from removing power or SD card.
That's another thing that customer have to do...

I didn't expect 100% secure solution, it's just a plastic camera and sure, it should only prevent from removing cables or SDcard right away but the hex-key is so common that I don't even have to check the screws through windshield because it's basically in every toolset. And additionally it has exposed heads which you can rotate with just a mere pliers anyway, Swiss-Army-Knife saves the day. Both are something a fleet driver can do before next drive - at least a special head would need a little more effort. (but hey, it's just me :D)

But yeah, if I would be so interested in the camera, I'd steal the whole unit and then drill out any head the screw would have. :D

but the hex-key is so common
It may not come with hex heads, that is just a computer generated image, and maybe the hex head screw was the closest they had in the library for adding to the image. But I'm not sure that any of the common security heads are really much more secure; when they are only screwed into plastic you can release a lot of them with just a flat blade screwdriver!

Finally! I was interested in this bracket and since there was no update I recently even contacted my friend with CNC machine (but he asked me for a model which I don't have time to design right now). :LOL: It seems that it is no longer necessary...

The locking accessory just needs to come with a small sticker! :smuggrin:

warning2.jpg

Last edited:
Put a really beefy copper cooler in there, and claim it is 150 steel ball bearings as evident by the units weight. :giggle:
_600.jpg

You guys are overlooking two issues:

The point of the lock is to make it more difficult to remove the power cable. Nothing stops a potential thief from cutting the wires, unmounting the camera from the mount, and taking it with them.

The goal for the lock is to prevent known tampering. For instance, say you take your car into a mechanic. Mechanic unplugs interior camera, you'd have this captured on main unit. Same with an employee.

Goal here isn't to prevent stealing, it's to prevent someone from easily disabling the camera. If someone is going to destroy the camera, cut wires, a simple lock wont make a difference.

You guys are overlooking two issues:

The goal for the lock is to prevent known tampering. For instance, say you take your car into a mechanic. Mechanic unplugs interior camera, you'd have this captured on main unit. Same with an employee.

Goal here isn't to prevent stealing, it's to prevent someone from easily disabling the camera. If someone is going to destroy the camera, cut wires, a simple lock wont make a difference.
Nobody is overlooking anything. That's exactly my point. It's dismountable even with a basic tools (especially for the mechanic).

We were joking about a thief, cutting, etc.
But the claymore idea is not that bad, there are some complains about overheating already so a good heatsink combined with a protection.., hmm.:unsure:

Last edited:
Nobody is overlooking anything. That's exactly my point. It's dismountable even with a basic tools (especially for the mechanic).

We were joking about a thief, cutting, etc.
But the claymore idea is not that bad, there are some complains about overheating already so a good heatsink combined with a protection.., hmm.:unsure:

Please clarify? Is the Viofo A139 actually overheating or are there concerns that it MAY overheat? Are you of the belief that this lock will cause camera to overheat by limiting heat dispersion?

Yes, nothing prevents cutting the cords, but this would then be proof of tampering. So if a repair shop or employee cut the cord, you'd know it happened.

FYI: Lock Price according to email is $8 Euros / 10 USD.

Please clarify? Is the Viofo A139 actually overheating or are there concerns that it MAY overheat?
The Viofo a139 camera freezes and gets hot when it's sunny

Are you of the belief that this lock will cause camera to overheat by limiting heat dispersion?
I never said anything about it. Since there seems to be some heat escape through the screw-threads, the holder could actually help a bit. But that's just a guess. I'm still in the middle of cold spring, nothing remotely reminiscent of summer, so I can't talk on the overheating issue.

But @Nigel is right, lets wait for the final product. This is a just a render and paper can take anything...

EDIT:
FYI: Lock Price according to email is $8 Euros / 10 USD.
That's reasonable. Nice.

F-U-C-K. I better not have ripped out the Zenfox that overheated, and spent a ton of money, to replace it with an A139 that overheats. Temps not warm enough to find out if this camera does the same.

I run a Sandisk High Endurance 256GB card. I hope to hell it doesn't overheat. I also have a Sandisk A2 Extreme in my Viofo A129 which has never overheated. I guess I can test that card in the camera, if I experience heat issues.

I really really really hope the final product have overheating problems (mine isn't a beta). Otherwise I'm going to be very pissed off.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-freezes-and-gets-hot-when-its-sunny.44723/
I never said anything about it. Since there seems to be some heat escape through the screw-threads, the holder could actually help a bit. But that's just a guess. I'm still in the middle of cold spring, nothing remotely reminiscent of summer, so I can't talk on the overheating issue.

But @Nigel is right, lets wait for the final product. This is a just a render and paper can take anything...

They emailed and asked if I want to purchase. I may go ahead and order to see the final product. So it's more than a design and drawing. Apparently it's in full production.

EDIT:

That's reasonable. Nice.

Ya, not a whole lot of money to risk getting it for inspecting and sharing.

Yes, but the image was computer generated so may not show reality.

Surely can’t freeze and melt at the same time!

In all seriousness, I will be very perturbed if I experience freezing and overheating issues on the A139. I ripped out the Zenfox T3 that I got for free, and spent good money on the A139, in hopes of having a functioning 3 channel camera. I figured that 3 individual cameras and no lcd screen would have resolved the overheating issues. I guess I will see what happens when it gets nearer to summer.

My parking in the sun on Sunday and Monday was flawless for the 1 hour i use parking guard, also it was also just 21 deg C and little wind.

Why you think i am so hot on Australia :)
Cairns or Darwin sound good to me

Sounds like our winter

Between having some of the world's deadliest insects and animals, along with Australia's super hot climate, I'm surprised a single dash camera can make it through one summer.

Last edited:
They say, some of the snakes, you actually have a fighting chance, if you are bitten within eyesight of a hospital. :)

I want to grow gympie gympie shrubs, and throw my enemies naked into them.

Back