A139 New Accessory

I want to grow gympie gympie shrubs, and throw my enemies naked into them.
You want your enemies to kill themselves?
For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn't work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else.

Back on TOPIC!

I have decided to place an order for the locking mechanism. Even though it isn't the most secure setup, I've reasoned it does act as a deterrent, under "normal conditions". Let's face it, someone could just as well cut all the wires and take the camera, if they wanted to destroy evidence. So the lock doesn't prevent this from happening. What the lock does resolve is conveniently yanking out the power cord or claiming the power cord "came loose".

So if you take your car in to a mechanic, valet, etc and magically the power is cut, you're going to know it was intentional. Either through pressing the power button while the car is on or undoing the lock, pulling the cord, or ejecting the memory card. There's no "it happened on accident" excuse. Putting the proof on whomever to explain their actions, if something happens while the camera is "off". Which to me is worthwhile. It also ensures the power cord and all cords will not easily come loose.

Back on TOPIC!

I have decided to place an order for the locking mechanism. Even though it isn't the most secure setup, I've reasoned it does act as a deterrent, under "normal conditions". Let's face it, someone could just as well cut all the wires and take the camera, if they wanted to destroy evidence. So the lock doesn't prevent this from happening. What the lock does resolve is conveniently yanking out the power cord or claiming the power cord "came loose".

So if you take your car in to a mechanic, valet, etc and magically the power is cut, you're going to know it was intentional. Either through pressing the power button while the car is on or undoing the lock, pulling the cord, or ejecting the memory card. There's no "it happened on accident" excuse. Putting the proof on whomever to explain their actions, if something happens while the camera is "off". Which to me is worthwhile. It also ensures the power cord and all cords will not easily come loose.
Are all your cables compatible with the lock?

Not sure the special right angle cables will be…

Are all your cables compatible with the lock?

Not sure the special right angle cables will be…

The right angle does not go into the main unit. It goes into the accessory camera (Rear and Interior).

yeah plugs in the main unit end must be strait plugs, and this is also very fine, even if you installed at the very top of the windscreen as you can do that with the A139 as it slide sideways off its mount.

yeah plugs in the main unit end must be strait plugs, and this is also very fine, even if you installed at the very top of the windscreen as you can do that with the A139 as it slide sideways off its mount.
But for compatibility with the lock, I think they need to be straight and square. I don’t know if HR has got square plugs or round ones like our test samples…

There have been a few different cable end designs shipped out with the A139, and some do not appear to be compatible with the locking device. It seems none of the right-angle ends are. I'm sure it will all get sorted out in the end (maybe already has been) and am looking forward to seeing what users of the device think of it. Can't say I feel a need for it with mine.

Phil

@Nigel @SawMaster I bet it's just about covering of the grip area to make it more difficult to unplug them (even with the access it's not that easy), not specificaly lock it in place as the power cord is. But you surely can to just grab the whole coax cable and pull...

Last edited:
Well with the rear and internal camera you can disconnect them easily at the other end, so it really only secures the power cable in practice.

I would still buy one, as like SawMaster mentioned it would be hard for a mechanic to claim the power cable came loose.

But for compatibility with the lock, I think they need to be straight and square. I don’t know if HR has got square plugs or round ones like our test samples…

All the coax cables in my retail versions and the sample are round

Back on TOPIC!

Another reason to have files upload to a cloud for remote access :)

Btw is there a link to this lock?

No i dont think it is official yet, as far as i can see it do not figure on the official viofo home page.

Another reason to have files upload to a cloud for remote access :)

Btw is there a link to this lock?

Same method as the right angled cable. Viofo's best kept secret. Email support to acquire a lock.

The A139 has Station Mode listed in firmware version 1.2 but it is not yet activated. Viofo doesn't appear to have cloud support in mind. Best case would be setting up an lte modem and streaming it to a home pc. Which can record the live stream. Be data intensive but workable.

Well with the rear and internal camera you can disconnect them easily at the other end, so it really only secures the power cable in practice.
Yeah, that's probably the reason not to bother with a locking mechanism for the coax connectors at the front unit.

But interestingly enough, Viofo just told me that I need a "new cable" with arrows pointing towards the coax cabels. :LOL: :unsure:

Yeah, that's probably the reason not to bother with a locking mechanism for the coax connectors at the front unit.
Having the lock on the front connectors will deter well over half of the attempts, and many of the rest will use wire cutters anyway.

The guy that broke into my car in January 4, he / she could have left with upwards of 1000 GB of memory card storage in camera cards and spares lying in the between seats console.
Only thing that got stolen was my micro fiber cloth,,,,,,, go figure :rolleyes:

UPDATE:

I received a discouraging email.... The lock doesn't function with the current design
of the interior and rear cable connector to the main unit. Apparently, there is a cable redesign in the works. So I may end up cancelling my order or see if I can buy the lock at a discounted price.

It's a pain in the ass to redo the cabling properly (take off pillars, route behind pillars, undo existing cable management, etc). So I have no plans on upgrading my cabling in a few months when the redesign is released.

Still, locking the power cable + microsd card does have merit.. And honestly, anyone could yank out the cabling to the rear and interior camera, since those cables remain exposed on the cameras' themselves.

Email Below

As we further checked, the lock can only work with the kits and can only lock the power port at present,

it can only lock the rear and interior port with newly upgraded cable, which will be available in a about a month or two

We shall send you upgraded cable for free once we have ,

is that ok with you?

Last edited:
Having the lock on the front connectors will deter well over half of the attempts, and many of the rest will use wire cutters anyway.
I bet the majority of them won't be able to tell whether there is a regular connector or the connector with a lock. If the presence of the bracket itself and the slight resistance of the MMCX clicking mechanism won't be enough of the sign "don't touch it" then they will go hard for it anyway and would either rip the cable off of the connector (means the connector with a lock stays behind the bracket, wire in hand) or pull the cable out of the camera.

UPDATE:

I received a discouraging email.... The lock doesn't function with the current design
of the interior and rear cable connector to the main unit. Apparently, there is a cable redesign in the works.

It's a pain in the ass to redo the cabling properly (take off pillars, route behind pillars, undo existing cable management, etc). So I have no plans on upgrading my cabling in a few months when the redesign is released.

Still, locking the power cable + microsd card does have merit.. And honestly, anyone could yank out the cabling to the rear and interior camera, since those cables remain exposed on the camera's themselves.
Yeah, I've mentioned that above.

But exactly for a reason @joe384 and you have mentioned, there is no much of a point of having a coax cable locked. Not to mention most of the people would probably try the thickest wire, as the power, which will be locked so then probably give it up. Actually I'm surprised that Viofo even wants to release a new cable.

I bet the majority of them won't be able to tell whether there is a regular connector or the connector with a lock. If the presence of the bracket itself and the slight resistance of the MMCX clicking mechanism won't be enough of the sign "don't touch it" then they will go hard for it anyway and would either rip the cable off of the connector (means the connector with a lock stays behind the bracket, wire in hand) or pull the cable out of the camera.

Agreed. Making the power cable and microsd not easily accessible would be the main concern. As the interior and rear cable aren't locked at the cameras themselves. With interior being readily accessible up front, yanking the cord isn't difficult. And then the back one would be next.

If someone is that motivated, they will either cut the cables or dismount the camera, in order to destroy any recorded evidence.
Yeah, I've mentioned that above.

But exactly for a reason @joe384 and you have mentioned, there is no much of a point of having a coax cable locked. Not to mention most of the people would probably try the thickest wire, as the power, which will be locked so then probably give it up. Actually I'm surprised that Viofo even wants to release a new cable.

Agreed. It will deter people whose job probably relies on not damaging a person's vehicle. One thing I like about the A139 is the rear camera can swivel. So if I take my car in to any place, I will swivel the rear camera to face the interior. So not only does interior camera record interior, but the rear will, too. I have an A129 Duo so that records front and rear.

Prime example, I accidentally left some money in my car. Not a huge some, but it was in glove box so I had access to coins when needed. Well My car was in accident and I took to dealer body shop. The body shop got shady on fixing things, and I took my car back and demanded a refund of all work not performed. Well they stole all the coins out of my car in retaliation. I noticed but couldn't prove.

My fault for leaving money in glove box and making it easy. So in this instance, a mechanic wouldn't damage cameras because that would be very obvious. Also, disabling the camera would be recorded. And if something happened, would bring suspicion upon why the camera was manually turned off. So a lock would be beneficial in this instance where one messing with the camera could wind up costing their job.

We shall send you upgraded cable for free once we have ,
That’s good of them, and it should be reasonably easy to swap the interior cable.

Pity they didn’t get the new cables sorted earlier, but they have been trying, and at least you know before receiving it now.

Next question, do you have the security firmware that disables the physical power off button? :cool::unsure:

Back