A229 Duo in parking mode under sun - too hot, can't work, screen faulty

dvas

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I got the A229 Duo and installed it in Subaru Forester 2022 back in November/December last year. Since I am not driving that car often (my wife's car), I realized in March that the screen is faulty (see the image). I got in contact with Viofo and got a replacement one. Unfortunatelly, the replacement one had the same issue only after 2-3 weeks of usage.
After discussing this with Viofo, it seems it is due to running the parking mode, while the car is in sun, therefore due to high temperature, it can't cope with this.
Did anyone else have the same experience?
A229 Duo.png

I got the A229 Duo and installed it in Subaru Forester 2022 back in November/December last year. Since I am not driving that car often (my wife's car), I realized in March that the screen is faulty (see the image). I got in contact with Viofo and got a replacement one. Unfortunatelly, the replacement one had the same issue only after 2-3 weeks of usage.
After discussing this with Viofo, it seems it is due to running the parking mode, while the car is in sun, therefore due to high temperature, it can't cope with this.
Did anyone else have the same experience?
View attachment 65062
No, I have not come across this.
My A229 has been installed in my car since the beginning of June 2022 and is constantly recording at a low bitrate in the parking lot.
The temperature in summer rose above 40°C and the A229 worked flawlessly.

Last summer, I had the opportunity to monitor the temperature of the A229 processor, thanks to the MOD firmware from the user Dex_.
At an ambient temperature of +28°С and the car was parked in a parking lot with the parking mode turned on: "Recording with a low bitrate",
the processor temperature rose to +115°С.

Yeah.
Most places on the earth, i would not rely on a dashcam being able to do parking guard on a summer day. ( parked in the sun )
I think it could be possible to do, but not with on the glass systems, or the remote systems with a very small main unit.

But a remote system placed out of the sun, and large main unit so it can accommodate a proper cooling solution, maybe even a active fan. That could do it i think, but a temperature regulated fan, when it kick on that will of course increase power use and so cut into the amount of time the system can record / be active before low voltage cut off set in.

Last year i parked my car in the sun with windows closed on a 31- 32 deg C hot day ( that is hot in Denmark )
And i did expect the camera to turn off ( facing the sun of course ) but the A229 duo recorded for the 3 hours the timer is set to, meanwhile i was sitting in the shade in shorts and a T-shirt, nice and easy shooting my rifle and i was sweating like a pig.

My A229 duo still function perfect.

I have the camera in my Dodge charger pursuit and I have it on constant power here in Florida and I've had no overheat issues.

Last edited:
Hallo

Mir ist heute Abend das gleiche Problem bei mir aufgefallen. Noch mittags rief die Kamera zum Formatieren der SD-Karte auf, ich habe die Formatierung durchgeführt und alles war gut, und nach 7 Stunden, als ich ins Auto stieg, bemerkte ich dieses Problem. Die Kamera wurde am 15. Mai 2023 gekauft.Viofo 229 DUO 2023-06-21 o 00.50.11.jpg

Hallo

Mir ist heute Abend das gleiche Problem bei mir aufgefallen. Noch mittags rief die Kamera zum Formatieren der SD-Karte auf, ich habe die Formatierung durchgeführt und alles war gut, und nach 7 Stunden, als ich ins Auto stieg, bemerkte ich dieses Problem. Die Kamera wurde am 15. Mai 2023 gekauft.View attachment 65906
Dieser Defekt des Bildschirms wurde bereits optimiert. Bitte aktualisieren Sie die Firmware, um zu bestätigen, ob es hilft. Wenn nicht, wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Kundenservice, um ein neues zu erhalten: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
This defect of the screen has been optimized already. Please update the firmware to confirm if it will help. If not, please contact our customer service to get a new one: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Dieser Defekt des Bildschirms wurde bereits optimiert. Bitte aktualisieren Sie die Firmware, um zu bestätigen, ob es hilft. Wenn nicht, wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Kundenservice, um ein neues zu erhalten: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
This defect of the screen has been optimized already. Please update the firmware to confirm if it will help. If not, please contact our customer service to get a new one: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
Hallo

Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort.
Ich habe gerade alle Optionen überprüft, die neueste Firmware hochgeladen und einen Hard-Reset mit einer Nadel durchgeführt, leider ohne Ergebnis. :(

Ich habe auch eine Benachrichtigung an VIOFO gesendet

My dashcam has the same exact issue. Temperatures just started reaching 90 degrees (Fahrenheit) in my area and I just noticed my display showing exactly like yours this past week. Recordings appear to be okay, but the UI overlaying the camera feed is basically unusable.

My dashcam has the same exact issue. Temperatures just started reaching 90 degrees (Fahrenheit) in my area and I just noticed my display showing exactly like yours this past week. Recordings appear to be okay, but the UI overlaying the camera feed is basically unusable.
Have you checked out the new firmware from Viofo yet?
After uploading the new software, my camera did not show any changes at first, but after a few restarts it started working completely correctly and now, after many days in the sun, the camera works and shows no faults. I don't know how to explain it, but it seems that the firmware fixed the problem with the camera.

Have you checked out the new firmware from Viofo yet?
After uploading the new software, my camera did not show any changes at first, but after a few restarts it started working completely correctly and now, after many days in the sun, the camera works and shows no faults. I don't know how to explain it, but it seems that the firmware fixed the problem with the camera.
I was able to download and install a modified firmware posted by someone here. After doing so, the display on my camera hasn’t been acting up like this. I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few days and report back here if the issue comes back.

If you talked about my FW mod (cause no one else do not made FW mods for A229 Duo) it is based on latest official FW - v1.2-20230413 - and Viofo states about fix for display in high temp conditions in this update. Glad that it's helps.

short update:
VIOFO were really helpful. I got another A229 camera. In the mean time, I also updated the FW on the original faulty one and the problem disappeared after some time. Still, VIOFO asked me to send it back. I installed the new one and the problem re-appeared, since I was not aware in the beginning that it was hearing issue in parking mode. I have disabled the parking mode in the car (my wife's Forester) and the problem was gone and no issue since, but no parking mode either.
Now I have to choose a new camera for my new Forester. I really like to voice notifications and i want dual setup, don't think that I need 4K. i need hear resistance.

short update:
VIOFO were really helpful. I got another A229 camera. In the mean time, I also updated the FW on the original faulty one and the problem disappeared after some time. Still, VIOFO asked me to send it back. I installed the new one and the problem re-appeared, since I was not aware in the beginning that it was hearing issue in parking mode. I have disabled the parking mode in the car (my wife's Forester) and the problem was gone and no issue since, but no parking mode either.
Now I have to choose a new camera for my new Forester. I really like to voice notifications and i want dual setup, don't think that I need 4K. i need hear resistance.
So glad to hear your feedback that VIOFO is helpful. All our aim is not only to provide good products but also good customer service. Any further we can do, please feel free to contact us.

Hello. I used A129 Pro 4k 3 years without issue.

Now I am a new a229 duo user. And I have exactly the same problem like you. And I have problems with sd cards. I used sandisk extreme 256gb. Telling me CARD SLOW sometimes and stop to record. So 3 days ago I bought Samsung Evo Plus 128gb. and today I got again CARD SLOW error.

Very annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpg
    IMG_7111.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7117.jpg
    IMG_7117.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 9
Samsung Evo Plus 128gb
Well, VIFO recommended and not recommended cards they have on their Support site.
The Sandisk u mention is recommended, but personally, i have never had good experience with Sandisk cards
The Samsung Evo card, they do not recommend.

Hello. I used A129 Pro 4k 3 years without issue.

Now I am a new a229 duo user. And I have exactly the same problem like you. And I have problems with sd cards. I used sandisk extreme 256gb. Telling me CARD SLOW sometimes and stop to record. So 3 days ago I bought Samsung Evo Plus 128gb. and today I got again CARD SLOW error.

Very annoying.
Please format the card to FAT32 using this program. (do not tick quick format)
https://viofo.com/download/guiformat.exe Then format it again on your camera. Samsung EVO Plus card is not recommended actually.
About the flickering screen, could you please update the firmware to test if it will help? Here is the link you can download the firmware file: https://viofo.com/content/61-a229-duo-support/

Back