A229 Duo Test & Review PP

The hardwire kit is required to fully enable parking mode.
You mean what exactly? I use A229 directly connected to BlackVue B-124X without any issues and it gets automatically into the parking mode after 5 mins of no motion being detected.

You mean what exactly? I use A229 directly connected to BlackVue B-124X without any issues and it gets automatically into the parking mode after 5 mins of no motion being detected.
I'm not sure I know how to explain this to you so I will refer you to these FAQ's from Viofo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-24 2.28.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-24 2.28.37 PM.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 3
I've been using exactly he same setup (BlackVue B-124X without HK) for the last 4 years with many different Viofo cameras and, to be honest, never experienced any major issue mentioned on these FAQ pages as "unstable" so just trying to figure our what might be considered as an advantage. The only problem I encountered is with A119 Mini but there might be a software issue, unfortunately Viofo support is pretty much useless.

unfortunately Viofo support is pretty much useless.
That has not been my experience since 2018.
Viofo most likely has the best tech support / customer service of any dash cam brand.

Blown Speaker

About a month ago I noticed the speaker on my A229 was sounding different / distorted during the start up chime, and voice notifications. Now the speaker is blown. Of course when I try to get the malfunction recorded on film it doesn't capture the audio distortion. lol

As a preventative measure I have adjusted the voice notification volume level to Medium on my A139 Pro. In the hopes the speaker doen’t blow on it as well. Since I get these cameras for free as test samples I don’t think I have a right to complain. However, if I was a paying customer I would most likely return the camera as defective within the 30-day return policy, or file a warranty claim with the 1-year warranty, or 18-month extended warranty with registration.

Hopefully @viofo will get around to adding the Voice Notification Volume level in APP for the A229, A119 Mini, and any other cameras with voice notifications. But I hate bothering them with APP firmware update requests that don’t have anything to do with image quality, or reliability.

Attachments

• Voice Notification Volume .png
    Voice Notification Volume .png
    226.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to my first ever Split Screen video.
I just figured out I had this capability the whole time.
How dare Apple hide this function in plain sight? lol
Btw, all videos I’ve ever edited were done on my iPhone SE 2020 with iMovie, (I don’t own a Windows PC, or MAC computer).
I know this is basic stuff for you guys, but this is a huge step for me. lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• iMovie APP .png
    iMovie APP .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
HDR is really an important feature which Viofo missed. It pains to see after spending so much and seeing just reflection of plates at night. I wish they correct this somehow with firmware update. Precise reason why so terrible night quality we see in A229.

I didn’t even bother to check the specifications before buying A229 as I thought it would have this as it has been since A119 Days. C’mon Viofo, improve this please. Above footage shows exactly the issue I have been facing at night. Had posted about this in other thread too, but side by side comparison is what was needed to clear things out.

You are trying Panzer platform, i will never ask more than that of you., CUZ how would i be able to do more than that as a decent human being.

And i can easy see where you was going with the video.

Last edited:
You are trying Panzer platform, i will never ask more than that of you., CUZ how would i be able to do more than that as a decent human being.

And i can easy see where you was going with the video.
Thank you so much, Brian.

HDR is really an important feature which Viofo missed. It pains to see after spending so much and seeing just reflection of plates at night. I wish they correct this somehow with firmware update. Precise reason why so terrible night quality we see in A229.

I didn’t even bother to check the specifications before buying A229 as I thought it would have this as it has been since A119 Days. C’mon Viofo, improve this please. Above footage shows exactly the issue I have been facing at night. Had posted about this in other thread too, but side by side comparison is what was needed to clear things out.
This is not an issue of HDR.
This is an issue of STARVIS 1 vs. STARVIS 2.
No firmware update will help the A229.
You need a camera with an IMX678 image sensor.
Just wait for the A229 Pro.
-Chuck

This is not an issue of HDR.
This is an issue of STARVIS 1 vs. STARVIS 2.
No firmware update will help the A229.
You need a camera with an IMX678 image sensor.
Just wait for the A229 Pro.
-Chuck
Not sure about that. A119V3, A119 Mini, even Vantrue E1, all with Starvis 1 and HDR will do a better job than A229 or other Starvis 1 without HDR.

And surprise, license plates on moving cars, Starvis 1 HDR:

Last edited:
Not sure about that. A119V3, A119 Mini, even Vantrue E1, all with Starvis 1 and HDR will do a better job than A229 or other Starvis 1 without HDR.
When I checked sometime ago, HDR wasn't that great on the A139 (non-pro) Starvis 1. I believe even @Vortex Radar made a comparison in his A139 review about this and I was not pleased with the HDR feature on there after watching his video.

But yes, HDR works great on the A119 V3 based on everything that I have seen.

So that means this is more than just having "HDR" as a feature?

And surprise, license plates on moving cars, Starvis 1 HDR:

OK, Dadi T you got me there. lol
I apologize for my "blanket statement".
But, I'm with @Mtz on this one.
There are now two kinds of dash cams in the world.
Those with STARVIS 2, and everything else.
-Chuck

A229 PRO sound good to me as i favor the traditional wedge camera over the A139 hybrid wedge camera.
But to be honest i also find it a bit problematic having many essentially similar systems, but of course it could be easier to maintain than i sit here in my office chair and assume.

There are now two kinds of dash cams in the world.
Those with STARVIS 2, and everything else.
Perhaps, but I'm not yet sold on the benefits of STARVIS 2 for dashcam use, certainly the HDR aspect in its current condition on the A139 Pro.

I'm not sure I would want STARVIS 2 HDR on the rear camera of an A229 Pro

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I'm not yet sold on the benefits of STARVIS 2 for dashcam use, certainly the HDR aspect in its current condition on the A139 Pro.
OK Tony, that's the last time I try to quote MTZ. lol
-Chuck

HDR support of the rear camera may not give the result you expect.
This is because there is no backlight.
it can only work when you brake or when the headlights of the vehicles going in the opposite direction and the angle coincide.

HDR support of the rear camera may not give the result you expect.
There are some benefits, and some things not so good, which I will share in my A139 Pro thread soon.

When I checked sometime ago, HDR wasn't that great on the A139 (non-pro) Starvis 1. I believe even @Vortex Radar made a comparison in his A139 review about this and I was not pleased with the HDR feature on there after watching his video.

But yes, HDR works great on the A119 V3 based on everything that I have seen.

So that means this is more than just having "HDR" as a feature?
Yes, HDR works great on V3, I thought is the benefit of the small FOV lens.
And the V3 lens is a really good quality lens, as I know, almost no other dashcam company will use a such expensive lens on IMX335 sensor.

Any clue when would next firmware be released?

Back