A229 Pro/Plus New Firmware

I just completed a night drive to capture HDR footage from the A229 Plus, A229 Pro and the A139 Pro.
  • A229 Plus - FW v1.0_231117
  • A229 Pro - FW v1.0_231123
  • A139 Pro - FW v1.1_0629
My quick check of my illuminated roadside sign test shows the A229 Plus does not capture that sign well. The A229 Pro is a bit better than the A229 Plus, but the A139 Pro captures the sign the best.

Here's how that sign appears in the video footage. I use the "best frame" from each camera's footage for this comparison. This weekend, I'll create a video comparison from the video footage that I gathered tonight.
1700881389896.png

A Thinkware U3000 and a BlackVue DR970X did not capture much more than a white blob (U3000) or a messy blur (DR970X).

1700881815370.png

Can you be more specific?
Do you mean the grainy appearance during DAYTIME?
Or improved IR performance at NIGHT TIME?
In the day time improved:
- colorization and brightness ( image became more color neutral and not that bright)
- the overall image is more clear, grainy appearance remain but it's manifest in other way enough to not bother the eye and give the fell like image is improved.

What appears new on image that didn't exist before (bad things) is:
- some orizontal lines on the image in nightside , and also flickering of light that entry in the car from the exterior illumination ( 50,60hz led illumination or normal light).

But even with this aspect, I more than glad because also over the windows from inside can you see more details, cars, person's etc.

Is it me or does the a229 pro not enter parking mode after 5 minutes of inactivity when powered from a power bank with this firmware? With the previous firmware it went into parking more after 5 minutes.

Does this mean we can format the microSD card on PC to exFAT and it will remain that way in the camera? or will the camera still default to formatting in FAT32?

EDIT: just saw I answered my own question, when you format it within the camera it now defaults to exFAT instead of FAT32.

Thanks for the edit, I was going to ask the same thing. I did actually use the app to format the card after I’d upgraded front and rear cameras yesterday.

does the a229 pro not enter parking mode after 5 minutes of inactivity when powered from a power bank

Screenshot 2023-11-25 1.33.38 PM.png

This complicates things since i'm using a power station to power it with a usb port, before this firmware it worked fine. I mean the camera will just keep recording over and over but would prefer it to enter parking mode and just capture certain events.

This complicates things since i'm using a power station to power it with a usb port, before this firmware it worked fine.
I understand your frustration.
When you purchased the camera, and read the advertised parking mode feature, was it clear the hardwire kit is required for parking mode?
As a paying customer do you feel you have been mislead by their advertised parking mode feature?

This information is only disclosed at the bottom of the item description in small print.
I’ve brought this up with Viofo to make their advertising of parking mode more clear to customers to no avail.

I offered two recommendations to reduce customer complaints / tech support inquiry about parking mode.
1.) Include the Hardwire Kit with all Viofo dash cams, and increase the price of all dash cams accordingly, ($18).
2.) Remove the included USB Power Cable & CLA Charger, and replace it with the Hardwire Kit to keep the price of the dash cam the same.
As a paying customer which recommendation would you prefer?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.06.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.06.38 PM.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.04.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.04.22 PM.png
    236.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.06.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.06.16 PM.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.03.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.03.21 PM.png
    717.1 KB · Views: 7
I’ve brought this up with Viofo to make their advertising of parking mode more clear to customers to no avail.
@forcefed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.34.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 2.34.01 PM.png
    310.4 KB · Views: 12
IQ optimized and some small bugs were fixed by the new firmware.
A229 Pro: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1npv7wO04ZQOmEwA1fv4qTH0dYSee4CJ7?usp=sharing
A229 Plus: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C_nRd2e4M-Ufi-wGN1lEQOHfefgyln_s?usp=sharing
Please update the firmware of the front and rear cameras separately.
Here is a video about how to update that you can refer to: https://we.tl/t-kIGLsoRPpR
apple store viofo iphone 13 pro max where settings new firmware

I understand your frustration.
When you purchased the camera, and read the advertised parking mode feature, was it clear the hardwire kit is required for parking mode?
As a paying customer do you feel you have been mislead by their advertised parking mode feature?

This information is only disclosed at the bottom of the item description in small print.

I offered two recommendations to reduce customer complaints / tech support inquiry about parking mode.
1.) Include the Hardwire Kit with all Viofo dash cams, and increase the price of all dash cams accordingly, ($18).
2.) Remove the included USB Power Cable & CLA Charger, and replace it with the Hardwire Kit to keep the price of the dash cam the same.
As a paying customer which recommendation would you prefer?
Option 3: to make parking mode work on usb power. I already have the hardwire kit but the parking mode on usb works better for me.
Anyway it would be nice for others to confirm if they have this issue with the new firmware.

Option 3: to make parking mode work on usb power.
Submit a support ticket to Viofo directly.

it would be nice for others to confirm if they have this issue with the new firmware.
I am unwilling to duplicate this issue because Viofo officially does NOT recommend parking mode on USB power.
Hardwire Kit parking mode is the only officially recommended method for parking mode.

Screenshot 2023-11-25 1.33.38 PM.png

apple store viofo iphone 13 pro max where settings new firmware
You must download the firmware updates from the provided google drive links because they have not updated the public website yet.

Screenshot 2023-11-25 5.46.34 PM.png

I already have the hardwire kit
If you already have the hardwire kit you can "MANUALLY" trigger parking mode with your power station "if" it has a 12 volt outlet.
Here's a how to video;

Submit a support ticket to Viofo directly.

I am unwilling to duplicate this issue because Viofo officially does NOT recommend parking mode on USB power.
Hardwire Kit parking mode is the only officially recommended method for parking mode.

View attachment 69389
Will submit a ticket.
The 12v socket needs to be manually turned on in the power station, then I need to manually turn on parking mode? Too hacky of a solution for me.

Can anyone else test parking mode from a battery back?

It seems some users wish the dashcam could record road signs well.
Normally all of the dash cam metering mode is center and low, but the road signs is on the side. And it is more important to capture a good license plate than road signs.

In future firmware updates, we may offer different HDR options.

Normally all of the dash cam metering mode is center and low, but the road signs is on the side. And it is more important to capture a good license plate than road signs.

Using the latest firmware I did country road type of drive.
I noticed the A229 Pro could see miles ahead on the road which would normally have been dark between intersections.
I also noticed that the road sign to the left and right off the lens wasn't legible or barely readable.
I wonder if the settings for pulling in so much light could be turned down so it has better image closer to the car?

The goal of reading number plates is admirable but having clear vision and no artefacts is preferable for me.

I would like to recognise the car and it's markings as well as who is on the side of the road.

Thank you for the clarification / explanation.
I don’t think we want to read road signs so much, but its that we notice them easier, and are using them to judge HDR performance.
I “assumed” the camera’s resolving capability was evenly distributed throughout the entire frame.
But, now you’re telling me the camera is optimized “center & low” where you expect a license plate to be.
I will keep that in mind going forward.

Very nice thank you for clarification. Rightly so the focus should be the licence plate, in-car road sign detection / Google Maps will determine what the speed limit on that road is marked to be.

Back