A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Looks like glare from the opposing IR LEDs. Should be a different result when PP runs his consecutive rather than simultaneous tests.
The reason neither camera can read the plate when IR LEDs are illuminated is because it’s not a real license plate.
It’s a “novelty” plate that was sent to me by one of my YouTube channel subscribers.

Although the A229 HDR is working nicely for the dome light, it is not working for the A139 IR light at the start of the video... why not?
Why would you ask me?
I just observe & report. lol
You're the expert.
I wasn't asking you specifically, I was asking if anyone had any ideas?
I don't know why; it always seems to work well for visible light, but not for IR.
Maybe the exposure metering is only done based on the green pixels...

The reason neither camera can read the plate when IR LEDs are illuminated is because it’s not a real license plate.
Holograms don't work in IR light :unsure:

Could be so bold as to ask you if you could take a picture of the main unit with the only the power cable and rear camera cable fitted and post it on here for me to see, am begining to lean towards the a229pro :)
worst thing i done was join this bloody forum lol

if you could take a picture of the main unit with the only the power cable and rear camera cable
1.) Close right eyeball.
2.) Tilt head back, covering IR camera with nose.
3.) Imagine a sucker you can sell your DR750X Plus 2-CH to.
LMAO.

Close Right Eyeball .png

Last edited:
I wasn't asking you specifically, I was asking if anyone had any ideas?
Oh, that makes sense. lol
Holograms don't work in IR light :unsure:
Our "real" plates have embossed / raised characters, real paint, and a reflective white background.
This novelty plate is just low grade graphics on an alluminum plate.
You won't be happy unless I remove one of my real licence plates of my car an re-perform the test again huh? lol

I thought you would never ask. Lol
Love your ingenuity for the 3rd camera. Looks like you even tapped a hole.
What dedication lol

Whats up with that?
I copied & pasted those photos from the original post in my A139 Pro thread.

The A139 Pro & A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear and Interior camera case / shell is identical.
I'm lazy so I just popped the cover off, removed the 3 screws holding the camera to the mount, and swapped them over.

BOOT UP TIME
While gathering test footage with 5 different cameras on my test rig I found it annoying some cameras booted up, and started recording much faster than others.
While taking screenshots I noticed that some cameras started recording around 20 seconds faster than the slowest one.
I remember reading a post about a user thought his camera was defective because it took much longer to start recording than his previous camera.
Since I had the cameras on my desk I figured why not have a race.
I spent over an hour conducting speed tests in different channel configurations, and different capacity SD Cards.
I learned some useless, but interesting things I never thought about.
I won’t bore you with what I did for over an hour, so I will boil it down as much as I can.
I will limit this post to the original A229, A229 Plus, and A229 Pro, (all 1-CH configuration).
I used the same Viofo 64GB SD Card, (formatted in each camera before performing test), and the same power cable & power supply in an effort to reduce inconsistencies.
I performed this test by pointing the camera at a clock, and turning on the power supply at the top of the minute, (see attached screenshots).
Here are the boot up times;
A229 1-CH……………9.4 Seconds
A229 Plus 1-CH……..15.1 Seconds
A229 Pro 1-CH………15.0 Seconds
Interesting note: When I put the A229 Pro & A229 Plus in 3-CH configuration, and used a Viofo 512GB SD Card the boot up time increased to approximately 33 seconds.

Attachments

• A229 Pro 1-CH .png
    A229 Pro 1-CH .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • A229 1-CH .png
    A229 1-CH .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • A229 Plus 1-CH .png
    A229 Plus 1-CH .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
BOOT UP TIME
While gathering test footage with 5 different cameras on my test rig I found it annoying some cameras booted up, and started recording much faster than others.
While taking screenshots I noticed that some cameras started recording around 20 seconds faster than the slowest one.
I remember reading a post about a user thought his camera was defective because it took much longer to start recording than his previous camera.
Since I had the cameras on my desk I figured why not have a race.
I spent over an hour conducting speed tests in different channel configurations, and different capacity SD Cards.
I learned some useless, but interesting things I never thought about.
I won’t bore you with what I did for over an hour, so I will boil it down as much as I can.
I will limit this post to the original A229, A229 Plus, and A229 Pro, (all 1-CH configuration).
I used the same Viofo 64GB SD Card, (formatted in each camera before performing test), and the same power cable & power supply in an effort to reduce inconsistencies.
I performed this test by pointing the camera at a clock, and turning on the power supply at the top of the minute, (see attached screenshots).
A229 1-CH……………9.4 Seconds
A229 Plus 1-CH……..15.1 Seconds
A229 Pro 1-CH………15.0 Seconds
Interesting note: When I put the A229 Pro & A229 Plus in 3-CH configuration, and used a Viofo 512GB SD Card the boot up time increased to approximately 33 seconds.
How the heck did it get to 33 seconds, it's only 15 seconds or so on my A229 Pro in 3-CH. granted, only using 128GB Viofo card but still.

BOOT UP TIME - PART 2
I figured I better confirm & verify in 3-CH configuration with Viofo 512GB SD Card.
I used the same Viofo 512GB SD Card, (formatted in each camera before performing test), and the same power cable & power supply in an effort to reduce inconsistencies.
A229 Plus 3-CH……..23.5 Seconds
A229 Pro 3-CH………22.0 Seconds

Attachments

• A229 Plus 3-CH 512GB SD Card .png
    A229 Plus 3-CH 512GB SD Card .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • A229 Pro 3-CH 512GB SD Card .png
    A229 Pro 3-CH 512GB SD Card .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
BOOT UP TIME - PART 2
I figured I better confirm & verify in 3-CH configuration with Viofo 512GB SD Card.
I used the same Viofo 512GB SD Card, (formatted in each camera before performing test), and the same power cable & power supply in an effort to reduce inconsistencies.
A229 Plus 3-CH……..23.5 Seconds
A229 Pro 3-CH………22.0 Seconds
Ok so my guesstimate previously wasn't correct, but can independently validate your claims. 22.4 seconds for moi on A229 Pro from turning the key to it showing that it's started recording.

Also got similar time with the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro :o

It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but any reduction in start up time is welcomed and appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-07-14-58-43-218_com.android.deskclock.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-07-14-58-43-218_com.android.deskclock.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Anyone else have wifi issues with their A229 Pro?

Almost everytime I enable wifi (when the dashcam is recording in 3-Ch mode), and then use Viofo app to view footage, it reboots the dash cam itself. Doesn't do it if I turn off recording first, strange.

Am on 230928 firmware.
Do you use the original car charger in the package and get power from your car cigarette lighter directly? Could you please change a power source to confirm if the issue persists? If yes, shall we have a video for analysis? If it is convenient for you, please upload a video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
Please advise us after uploading.

Do you use the original car charger in the package and get power from your car cigarette lighter directly? Could you please change a power source to confirm if the issue persists? If yes, shall we have a video for analysis? If it is convenient for you, please upload a video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
Please advise us after uploading.
I am using the original car charger in the package and got power from my car cigarette lighter directly....I have been unable to reproduce this issue consistently, so I haven't been able to capture it on video :(. If I am able to, then I'll upload video to you.

If I use a non-original charger, then it happens a lot - but that's not the point here..

If I use a non-original charger, then it happens a lot - but that's not the point here..

Are you saying that it is a problem with the firmware/hardware?

If its repeatable with the supplied hardware then I could see it being an issue but using an unknown power supply makes it difficult to find the root cause.
If it is really about the fact the wifi reboots the dashcam then that is a separate discussion.

Are you saying that it is a problem with the firmware/hardware?

If its repeatable with the supplied hardware then I could see it being an issue but using an unknown power supply makes it difficult to find the root cause.
If it is really about the fact the wifi reboots the dashcam then that is a separate discussion.
Yes I am aware of that, it happens in both instances which signals to me it may be an issue with the firmware. It only happens when I turn on the wifi.

Yes I am aware of that, it happens in both instances which signals to me it may be an issue with the firmware. It only happens when I turn on the wifi.
I pretty sure the T130 and maybe even the A129 reboots when wifi state is altered.
It would be nice if they didn't but I guess it may have something to do with resetting/disconnecting the wifi circuit ??

I pretty sure the T130 and maybe even the A129 reboots when wifi state is altered.
It would be nice if they didn't but I guess it may have something to do with resetting/disconnecting the wifi circuit ??

If that is the case, I would consider a reboot on wifi change of state unacceptable.

It only happens when I turn on the wifi.
Are to disabling / enabling the Wi-Fi with the button on the cam, or voice commands?
And have you tried both, does it make a difference?
That might help diagnose the intermittent issue.

If that is the case, I would consider a reboot on wifi change of state unacceptable.
When ever i toggle wifi on my A119 Mini2's, it soft reboots, and stops/starts recording. Does not show full boot animation, but it does take a few secs to re-initialize, screen goes black for a sec. Seems to be normal to me.

Back