A229 Wifi Disconnects

springerview

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm using an iPhone XS with the latest software in a 2022 BMW 340i. When I connect to the A229's wifi I get a message (on my phone) that says Carplay will be disconnected if I connect to this network. I click OK and the wifi turns on for only about 10-15 seconds, then disconnects. When I go back into the iPhone wifi settings there's a message saying the connection was disconnected by the control center. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

Update: It appears that CarPlay is interfering. I used an old iPad (no CarPlay) and the wifi stayed connected. However, I was unable to download any files. I got the message: "Cannot save to system file. Save to app." How do I save to the app?

Make sure your permissions are set correctly on your iPad - you might not have allow it to access files (or photos) on your iPad.

As for wifi issue on your iPhone, that is correct - CarPlay has priority over other wifi connected device unfortunately. Only way I can think of getting around it is to disable wifi on your car or temporary turn off CarPlay in settings.

Make sure your permissions are set correctly on your iPad - you might not have allow it to access files (or photos) on your iPad.
The Viofo app has read/write permission for Photos on the iPad. I assume that's where the app downloads to?

The Viofo app has read/write permission for Photos on the iPad. I assume that's where the app downloads to?
Yes, it will save videos to iPhone/iPad photo gallery.

As for wifi issue on your iPhone, that is correct - CarPlay has priority over other wifi connected device unfortunately. Only way I can think of getting around it is to disable wifi on your car or temporary turn off CarPlay in settings.
Yep, this is a completely normal issue. Android Auto and CarPlay will always have priority especially if you have a recent model year car.
I also get this issue on my Street Guardian 9667DC2K on my Android phone with Android Auto on my 2021 Mazda CX-5.

My solution to this is to temporarily turn off/disable Bluetooth on my phone via my quick settings notification pull down, and that kills Android Auto completely(and it does not try to reconnect by kicking the dashcam WiFi out).
Then connecting to the dashcam's WiFi will work after that. When I'm done whatever I wanted to do concerning WiFi on the dashcam, I go back to my quick settings to enable Bluetooth and Android Auto reconnects again.
I only connect to WiFi on my dashcam probably no more than 5 times a year and it takes me less than a second to enable/disable Bluetooth, so this issue does not register on a list of major problems.

Not sure if this will work with CarPlay, but I assume that it will giving the similarities with Android Auto?

Yep, this is a completely normal issue. Android Auto and CarPlay will always have priority especially if you have a recent model year car.
I also get this issue on my Street Guardian 9667DC2K on my Android phone with Android Auto on my 2021 Mazda CX-5.

My solution to this is to temporarily turn off/disable Bluetooth on my phone via my quick settings notification pull down, and that kills Android Auto completely(and it does not try to reconnect by kicking the dashcam WiFi out).
Then connecting to the dashcam's WiFi will work after that. When I'm done whatever I wanted to do concerning WiFi on the dashcam, I go back to my quick settings to enable Bluetooth and Android Auto reconnects again.
I only connect to WiFi on my dashcam probably no more than 5 times a year and it takes me less than a second to enable/disable Bluetooth, so this issue does not register on a list of major problems.

Not sure if this will work with CarPlay, but I assume that it will giving the similarities with Android Auto?
Thanks! I'll give this a try with CarPlay. Otherwise, I was considering getting a used iPad just for this purpose.

My solution to this is to temporarily turn off/disable Bluetooth on my phone via my quick settings notification pull down, and that kills Android Auto completely(and it does not try to reconnect by kicking the dashcam WiFi out). Then connecting to the dashcam's WiFi will work after that... Not sure if this will work with CarPlay, but I assume that it will giving the similarities with Android Auto?

Thanks! I'll give this a try with CarPlay. Otherwise, I was considering getting a used iPad just for this purpose.
It does work with CarPlay! Thanks so much- you saved me from having to buy an iPad!

I definitely wouldn't get a used iPad just for this purpose.

IMO, WiFi on dashcams is only useful on during initial setup, syncing the dashcam time with your phone (if you disable or don't want to connect GPS), or for dashcams without a screen (like the A139 series) which helps in navigating the options menu.
WiFi on dashcams are still too slow(8MB/s) for me to use it as a means for transferring files when I can just take out the memory card and hook it to my computer for faster transfer speed.

WiFi feature on a dashcam is not something that I use on a regular basis.

I definitely wouldn't get a used iPad just for this purpose.

IMO, WiFi on dashcams is only useful on during initial setup, syncing the dashcam time with your phone (if you disable or don't want to connect GPS), or for dashcams without a screen (like the A139 series) which helps in navigating the options menu.
WiFi on dashcams are still too slow(8MB/s) for me to use it as a means for transferring files when I can just take out the memory card and hook it to my computer for faster transfer speed.

WiFi feature on a dashcam is not something that I use on a regular basis.
On the Viofo A229, the wifi is 5G, so it's pretty fast, and it's the only way to download a video without removing the SD card. But like you, this is probably not something I'll be doing very often.

Back