Ability to play dashcam MOV files whilst displaying GPS data on Android device

DeLorean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Front: G90 A7LA70 with GPS / Rear: G1WH
I've been trying to find a piece of software for Android that will allow me to play video files from my G90 dashcam (MOV container) whilst displaying the GPS data.
I recently had an incident abroad where I needed to quickly extract the GPS data from my camera and fortunately I had my laptop and Registrator Viewer to hand so could extract the GPS data that way.
However if I could display the GPS data on my Samsung S4 this would be so much more convenient.
I’ve tried (amongst many others) MX Player, VLC and the supplied Samsung S4 video player using their CC subtitle display functions.
Surprisingly the Samsung video player was to only one able to display the CC data which moved up the screen at a rate of once per second as the GPS data was logged, but it couldn’t determine the language so displayed it in unreadable characters.
Any help would be very much appreciated :)

I've been trying to find a piece of software for Android that will allow me to play video files from my G90 dashcam (MOV container) whilst displaying the GPS data.

A.K.A. the holy grail, lots of people waiting for that, one Taiwan developer says they can do it but a year on have yet to deliver anything

Can you upload original video file from your dashcam?

Thanks for the feedback :)
It thought I may be asking a bit much :p
I see that BlackVue camera users have such a facility and the app is available on via Google Play.
I could just configure the camera to record the GPS information on the video, but as I post footage on-line I'd rather not have to fiddle around editing the GPS info out.
I recently had to return to a very specific place on the autobahn hard shoulder between the German and Polish border at 2am into morning to recover a lost item.
If I hadn’t have been able to extract the GPS data from the camera with my laptop, finding the item in the pitch black would've been near impossible.
I’ll try and post a short clip with GPS data (or a link) very soon :D

And details on what you were doing on a hard shoulder at 2AM ;)

It's a secret :D
I had to check an issue with the car and my 4 year old son must've dropped his cuddly toy when I'd opened the back door of the car.
We only realised it was missing once we were in Poland, but after extracting the much needed GPS location from the camera and driving 20kms back they were reunited :)

I recently had an incident abroad where I needed to quickly extract the GPS data from my camera and fortunately I had my laptop and Registrator Viewer to hand so could extract the GPS data that way.
However if I could display the GPS data on my Samsung S4 this would be so much more convenient.
I’ve tried (amongst many others) MX Player, VLC and the supplied Samsung S4 video player using their CC subtitle display functions.
Surprisingly the Samsung video player was to only one able to display the CC data which moved up the screen at a rate of once per second as the GPS data was logged, but it couldn’t determine the language so displayed it in unreadable characters.
Any help would be very much appreciated :)

A.K.A. the holy grail, lots of people waiting for that, one Taiwan developer says they can do it but a year on have yet to deliver anything

Why need to wait? Holy Grail is here or is/was available for years. ;)
I'm using it for months if not years in MX Player.
The gps info is just a subtitle.
Noting rocket science there.

Here's a screenshot playing mini 0826 files with gps data in my Samsung Galaxy Note:

Screenshot_2016-03-04-12-45-47[1].png

was referring to map playback as well, not just the data
I see.
I haven't found that yet but never even looked for one.

However, OP's post mentions GPS data, not map and that he tried subtitle CC with various player and didn't work as expected.
MX Player works fine for GPS data without map.

Not sure what the problem is with MX Player. It seems to work fine on mine.

he may need to create a subtitle file first
That's what I meant.
The gps file is subtitle so no need to create it.
If it's in the same folder, you just need to check the subtitle checkbox to enable it.
If it's in different folder, click on the settings ellipses and click on subtitle and then open by browsing to proper folder.
Done.

Screenshot_2016-03-04-21-24-28[1].png

Last edited:
That's what I meant.
The gps file is subtitle so no need to create it.
If it's in the same folder, you just need to check the subtitle checkbox to enable it.
If it's in different folder, click on the settings ellipses and click on subtitle and then open by browsing to proper folder.
Done.

most cameras don't create this file and even some that do like the mini series sometimes it differs by firmware version

Thanks for all the feedback and assistance guys :)
The G90 embeds (muxes) the GPS data into the MOV file.
Once of the first apps I tried was MX Player which does see the embedded CC data but refuses to display it.
I've been trying various video players and apps on both my Samsung and Nvidia Shield tablet, but all refuse to show the embedded CC data :(

Thanks for all the feedback and assistance guys :)
The G90 embeds (muxes) the GPS data into the MOV file.
Once of the first apps I tried was MX Player which does see the embedded CC data but refuses to display it.
I've been trying various video players and apps on both my Samsung and Nvidia Shield tablet, but all refuse to show the embedded CC data :(

as a test use registrator viewer to create a subtitle file and load that and the movie file and see if MX player will load it up and play ok

some cameras create a separate text based file with the GPS info, MX player can play this in many cases, can't say I've seen it work with the embedded data but this can vary from camera to camera as there are lots of different formats in use by the various vendors

as a test use registrator viewer to create a subtitle file and load that and the movie file and see if MX player will load it up and play ok
This works perfectly and the GPS info is displayed as subtitles.
Switch to the embedded CC subtitles and nothing o_O

The Samsung supplied video player does attempt to display the embedded CC data, but can't determine the language format o_O

ccccc.jpg

I've tried to DEMUX the MOV file and extract the embedded CC data to ascertain it's format, but have been unable to find any method that works... I've tried dozens of Demuxing and CC extraction tools :confused:
Even if I was successful it wouldn't be of much help anyway as it doesn't get me any nearer a solution :(

Back