Abnormal files size.

Oruvin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've been experience this "issue" for quite long time... For some reason BlackVue is saving files with inflated size. For example - I'm using FHD@30 mode for front/rear and 1 min duration. Normal file size for this mode is about 90mb for the front camera and about 75mb for the rear. But quite often files are saved with up to 5x times bigger size - 540mb for front 1 min recording!

- These weird files have the same bitrate, just as "normal" files.
- Most of them can be played with BV player or external player without any issue.
- There's no visible difference, just the file size.
- Most of the time inflated size is with rear camera recordings, but not always, there are inflated front cam recordings as well.
- It happens with different recordings - Normal, Parking, Event.
- It happens at random times - it can be alright for an hour, then inflated size, then normal again.

I've been trying to sort it out myself... Here are steps that I've been trying:

- Different SD cards: was using original BlackVue card, SanDisk Extreme Pro card, and new Samsung Pro Endurance card - no difference.
- Formatting SD card every day: no difference, issue may occur half day after formatting, or within first hour.
- Different recording modes, different recording length: no difference.
- Disconnecting rear camera, so it records only front camera: no difference.
- The same issue happens since very beginning - with different firmwares.

So now I'm out of any ideas. Was trying to contact BlackVue, but didn't get any reply.

bv_01.png bv_02.png bv_03.png

Yeah, tried different FW, 1.005/1.006 - no difference.

One thing that might give some hints - it seems that this weird behaviour starts when SD card is full, and camera is overwriting old files (I've got different 64Gb cards). Still no clue how to fix it, I can't format SD card every 10 hours, and thnx to BlackVue limited number of parking recording options, camera is recording almost nostop in parking mode (I like to watch moving clouds, trees and rain drops /sarcasm). Oh, and it seems that sometimes hardware button (on the camera body) doesn't format SD card - 5s, wait for voice, 5s and "blah blah, formatting SD card, blah blah" - but in fact SD card wasn't formatted.

Back