About the SJ4000 Action Camera Original and Copy Version

billknow

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Mini 0805, Mini 0806, A118/A118C, G1W-C
SJ4000 is a hot action camera in market, it’s a good alternative of GOPRO. As you know, the copy and fake ones joined the game lately, you will see a lot version of SJ4000 from different source. Some of the vendor even mix the fake ones in genuine ones order. (buy 10 units but 3 to 5 is fake ones!)

Everyday a lot customer come to FoxOffer to ask how to check if it’s genuine or fake, so we spent some time to collect almost all the copy(fake) ones and do some test and compare. And we notice the fake version’s hardware (lens, CMOS, chip and PCB quality) and firmware are not good as original version, the video quality also poor. The fake one’s manufacturer focus on making quick money.

Quick guide to check the SJ4000 version:

Download link:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/pictures/sj4000_original_and_fake.jpg

Quick guide to check the SJ4000 WiFi version:

Download link:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/pictures/sj4000_wifi_original_and_fake.jpg

And the Power-Button is on the bottom on the faceplate (like on the GoPro) and not on the top.

original_sj5000_action_camera_diving_30m_waterproof_camera_1080p_full_hd_helmet_camera.jpg

The SJ4000 is a popular camera for good reason but it does seem a little ironic that their copy of the GoPro has been copied.
Previously, their SJ1000 was a close copy of the Liquid Image EGO. I don't know if the SJ1000 ever got cloned but it wouldn't be surprising.

Anyway, thanks to @billknow for this thread. People should receive what they think they are purchasing and I'm glad we have a vendor like FoxOffer where we can trust what we are buying.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the Tronsport SJ4000:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...ar-DVR-2-Batteries-AV-out---Black-335138.html

It's obviously a non-wifi replica, however, the menu looks like that of the genuine SJCAM SJ4000. Perhaps they more similar than the other reps?
With GearBest selling the real SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi for $87, why buy a copy with out Wifi for more money? Better to know what you're getting and where to get the real firmware updates.
Use coupon code GBSJCAM to get the sale price http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_81588.html

With GearBest selling the real SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi for $87, why buy a copy with out Wifi for more money? Better to know what you're getting and where to get the real firmware updates.
Use coupon code GBSJCAM to get the sale price http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_81588.html

At $90, I wouldn't buy the Tronsport when the SJCAM wifi is available for $87. I'm merely wondering what is the difference between the SJCAM and Tronsport versions of the SJ4000. The menu's appear to be the same (white background), where as all the other fakes have the dark blue menu. This is the first time I've seen a branded replica of the SJ4000 and reviews on aliexpress and amazon are surprisingly positive. Also, it might be worth mentioning that the Tronsport comes with two batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Novatek-170°Wide-Waterproof-Security/product-reviews/B00HM29D98
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OOEMLEG
geekbuying-f2eed238-2344-4405-bd71-79089ccda1a4.jpg

I'm being offered a sample unit of the Tronsport SJ4000 for $49.99, wondering if it's worth a go.

Last edited:
I've been pretty up to date on the SJ4000 lately and I'm thinking its huge risk on a fake especially again when the real SJ4000 non wifi is just $20-25 more. To accurately test the Tronsport means your going to have to take it apart to check the processor and sensor and that LCD ribbon cable is not an easy thing to reassemble. Not to mention it won't get or use the same firmware updates. Menu colors are easily duplicated.

If they're asking you to test their product, then free is the price not $50.

I've been pretty up to date on the SJ4000 lately and I'm thinking its huge risk on a fake especially again when the real SJ4000 non wifi is just $20-25 more. To accurately test the Tronsport means your going to have to take it apart to check the processor and sensor and that LCD ribbon cable is not an easy thing to reassemble. Not to mention it won't get or use the same firmware updates. Menu colors are easily duplicated.

If they're asking you to test their product, then free is the price not $50.

Thanks for the input. I've already pulled the trigger on the SJCAM SJ4000 wifi @ Gearbest. I have a sponsored SJCAM SJ5000 lined up once it gets released later this month (hopefully). For refence, may I ask where one can find the SJCAM SJ4000 non-wifi for $70-75?

I assumed the $50 offer for the Tronsport was targetted towards me, but anyone can buy it here starting tomorrow, no review required. http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/black_november_campaign

Out of curiousity, I emailed one of the retailers for more information on the Tronsport SJ4000 and got this reply:

It is the same manufacturer with SJCAM SJ4000. As there are many fake in marketing now. This one is not a fake but a brand and the function is the same with SJCAM.

Specifications comparison:

catchd38f-jpg.9177

catch-jpg.9178

More importantly, the menu interface of the SJCAM and Tronsport are the same (note: HDR function), implying they use similar firmware:
catchbba9-jpg.9180

All other fake SJ4000s use this menu interface, a completely different firmware:
Catch6BA3.jpg

Furthermore, I compared the unboxings of the physical unit and accessories and they are identical. (ie. waterproof case is the correct dimensions, silver screws, etc.), the box itself has all the correct details (ie. bike facing right, whereas fakes have the bike facing left). Point being (other than the branding), they are identical down to the last detail.

Attachments

• CatchD38F.jpg
    CatchD38F.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Catch.jpg
    Catch.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 262
  • CatchBBA9.jpg
    CatchBBA9.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you decide to buy it? I see your profile says you own A SJ4000 and SJ4000 WIFi. I own both WiFi and original and can say there is no noticeable difference between the two except WiFi. Sure the menu is different, the original blue is better. The new menu has two start up screens and takes too long from start to record.

What I don't understand is if Tronsport is another company with good quality cam why copy SJCAM to the letter or are you saying SJCAM introduced the SJ4000 under another brand name? Even if the Tronsmart is an exact spec replica of the SJCAM, it's still not worth spending money on. It's like getting a good deal on an IPhone 5 two weeks before they release the 6 and when you already own the 5s. You have the WiFi, so if you need another wait two weeks for the SJ5000.

Last edited:
Did you decide to buy it? I see your profile says you own A SJ4000 and SJ4000 WIFi. I own both WiFi and original and can say there is no noticeable difference between the two except WiFi. Sure the menu is different, the original blue is better. The new menu has two start up screens and takes too long from start to record.

What I don't understand is if Tronsport is another company with good quality cam why copy SJCAM to the letter or are you saying SJCAM introduced the SJ4000 under another brand name? Even if the Tronsmart is an exact spec replica of the SJCAM, it's still not worth spending money on. It's like getting a good deal on an IPhone 5 two weeks before they release the 6 and when you already own the 5s. You have the WiFi, so if you need another wait two weeks for the SJ5000.

You're absolutely right. I'm not buying the Tronsport, I just inquired about it out of curiosity. I have no idea who or what Tronsport is and their affiliation is with SJCAM, but it looks like a good cam for the money. Interesting case study, that's all.

The whole SJ4000 thing is a good case study. Which is real, which is fake, which is real yet not SJCAM real, which has what processor, who copied it the closest, which seller is mixing in fakes, what is the real firmware. Not to mention who actually Original made the SJ4000 and how is that name so widely used on nearly every camera?

Just bought the Tronsport SJ4000 since it's on discount at Geekbuying. Hope it's the real deal.
From what I read, the things matters the most is the lens and the sensor, since this one use the Novatek and not the Sunplus, it should be the same as SJCAM one.
Oh well, we'll found out in a week when it arrived.

The really important thing is the firmware that controls it all. There are hundreds of Novatek 96650 and Aptina ARO330 cameras out there and they don't all perform the same. Keep us posted on how it performs

Back