About to purchase my first dashcam

xelpmoc

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First off, DCT is amazing! Especially the SG sub-forum. I'm getting a new vehicle, so I've been researching dash cams and have settled on the SG9665GC. It seems to be the best value from what my research tells me. Also, the partner/distributor support appears to be top notch, which is a huge.

I am located in Calgary so I am planning to purchase from Calgary Dash Cams. But I am confused a bit about one thing: what is the difference between CELL POWER CPUSB01 12V to 5V MiniUSB Power Adapter with BDP (Battery Discharge Prevention) and MotoPark Multi Safer PANOBDP - HARD WIRE KIT?

I was originally planning to simply use my 12V charger slot, but the more I read the more I get the impression that hardwiring is the way to go.

It seems if you want to hardware, there are two additional decisions to make: 1) have the camera connected to a fuse that is constantly supplied with power; or 2) have the camera connected to a fuse that is only supplied with power when the engine is running. If you opt for #1, then you also need some sort of device that prevents battery discharge.

Do I have that straight?

Since the SG9665GC doesn't have a buffered parking mode, I'm not sure how useful #1 will be for me; however, #2 is definitely appealing as it will ensure a cleaner/more stealthy install. Which products do I need to achieve this? I'm definitely not much of a "car guy," but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I will also likely eventually get a second camera for my rear-view, leaning toward something a bit cheaper like a Mobius, but that will be a bit down the road I think.

Any thoughts/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!

First off, DCT is amazing! Especially the SG sub-forum. I'm getting a new vehicle, so I've been researching dash cams and have settled on the SG9665GC. It seems to be the best value from what my research tells me. Also, the partner/distributor support appears to be top notch, which is a huge.

I am located in Calgary so I am planning to purchase from Calgary Dash Cams. But I am confused a bit about one thing: what is the difference between CELL POWER CPUSB01 12V to 5V MiniUSB Power Adapter with BDP (Battery Discharge Prevention) and MotoPark Multi Safer PANOBDP - HARD WIRE KIT?

I was originally planning to simply use my 12V charger slot, but the more I read the more I get the impression that hardwiring is the way to go.

It seems if you want to hardware, there are two additional decisions to make: 1) have the camera connected to a fuse that is constantly supplied with power; or 2) have the camera connected to a fuse that is only supplied with power when the engine is running. If you opt for #1, then you also need some sort of device that prevents battery discharge.

Do I have that straight?

Since the SG9665GC doesn't have a buffered parking mode, I'm not sure how useful #1 will be for me; however, #2 is definitely appealing as it will ensure a cleaner/more stealthy install. Which products do I need to achieve this? I'm definitely not much of a "car guy," but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I will also likely eventually get a second camera for my rear-view, leaning toward something a bit cheaper like a Mobius, but that will be a bit down the road I think.

Any thoughts/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!

Hard Wire is the way to go for a neat clean install.

CPUSB01 is good for basic hard wire installs. Most people go with switched ACC power for the SG9665GC.

MotoPark has more advanced voltage cut off selection choices and timer cutoff options.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...charge-prevention-device-ms-multi-safer.4603/

the CPUSB01 is most suitable for hardwiring to a switched circuit and has a safety cuttoff in the event that the circuit is left active

the Multi Safer is suitable for wiring to a permanent power circuit and has timed cutoffs as well as selectable low power cutoffs

the Mobius is a good value option for rear cam use

Excellent, thank you both for the prompt replies. I will watch the video and do a bit more research.

I also stumbled upon a few comparison videos of CPL/non-CPL footage, and the CPL definitely seems like a good buy. I read that a while back there were some issues and a revised CPL was released (something with the 3d printing tolerances).

Are these new versions now distributed among the partners and available to customers?

Back