About to purchase - need some info

Blackvue compromised the switch to toggle sound recording to push their cloud feature and the "S" brought that back.. sort of. Perhaps..
So the S model has sound on/off toggle back AND a cloud feature?

Video quality on these is pretty good but certainly not mind blowing. I've had ZERO problems with mine for over a year. I'm totally happy with the purchase and would probably do it again. Here's a recording I took a couple weeks ago. Be sure to open it in Youtube and watch it at 1080p. It looks great until you snap a screenshot and try to zoom in for a license plate #. Granted, conditions were not the best that day and my windshield is tinted.

I think 1080p is just entry level quality for details of license #. Probably in the future where more processing power can be accommodated in small form factor, we'll see 4k resolution on front and 2k on back. Enough for capturing details.
I also have to factor the fact that hit and run are less likely to occur. Usually when you have an accident, you stop for details.
For a hit an run, that means that when someone hit you, he or she are close enough for the camera to capture license plate even in 720p. At least in good light conditions :)

What exactly is not good with the video?
How could you describe what doesn't work well with its quality?

Is it the wide angle distortion?
Inability to spot details?

Because the reviews are quite good when it comes to video quality.
So, what am I missing?

Hi there Gil,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

While we understand that everyone is recommending other competitor products, we would like you to still consider the BlackVue model.

There are many dash cams on the market and yes, some have great video, some not so great, and some line up in the middle.

We do find that the BlackVue video quality performs well overall, when considered in proportion to the recording times you get as well. If recording times are important to you, the BlackVue uses high compression and you do get a decent amount of recording time.

We also want to assure you that we are here to help, and pride ourselves in offering the very best customer support possible. You can buy BlackVue from many locations in Australia and all warranty and technical support can come directly to us.

The BlackVue cameras also have the highest rated smart-phone applications and viewer, as well as the ability to use the BlackVue Cloud service. If you require remote viewing & access to your dash cam this feature would be useful to you.

Which ever decision you make, we wish you the best with your dash cam experience. We recommend having a look at Youtube and deciding if the quality is going to meet your requirements.

The quality can at times be more than capable of capturing number plates, but it does depend a lot on the lighting, distance, colour of the plate etc.

Here is a video where the BlackVue captures the rear plate of red-light runner (1BCW-745). (Note Youtube does compress footage slightly as well)

Here is a snap-shot of the license capture from the original footage:

Black_Vue_Snapshot1.jpg

Some of the other positive feedback we receive from our customers, is the great form factor of the BlackVue and the discrete designs for easy-mounting * set-up in the vehicle.

Thank you and good luck!

So Blackvue has IR rear cam option? how's that working on daylight?
Will not go with IR point out at the rear. I use it for internal view. During day, what I notice is black color become purple and you may notice a bit green. Upload some snapshot later.

I have had the 650gw for over a year and my.. biggest frustration is with the intermittent GPS signal / connection meaning the speed shows intermittently...
If.. you are staying with the Blackvue line I would suggest the newer 650S.
Having the same problem too. Do you think RF interference is the cause or GPS Satellite line of sight? I had mine install close to another cam. Posted this in another thread. Any ideas?

Hi there Gil,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

While we understand that everyone is recommending other competitor products, we would like you to still consider the BlackVue model.

There are many dash cams on the market and yes, some have great video, some not so great, and some line up in the middle.

We do find that the BlackVue video quality performs well overall, when considered in proportion to the recording times you get as well. If recording times are important to you, the BlackVue uses high compression and you do get a decent amount of recording time.

We also want to assure you that we are here to help, and pride ourselves in offering the very best customer support possible. You can buy BlackVue from many locations in Australia and all warranty and technical support can come directly to us.

The BlackVue cameras also have the highest rated smart-phone applications and viewer, as well as the ability to use the BlackVue Cloud service. If you require remote viewing & access to your dash cam this feature would be useful to you.

Which ever decision you make, we wish you the best with your dash cam experience. We recommend having a look at Youtube and deciding if the quality is going to meet your requirements.

The quality can at times be more than capable of capturing number plates, but it does depend a lot on the lighting, distance, colour of the plate etc.

Here is a video where the BlackVue captures the rear plate of red-light runner (1BCW-745). (Note Youtube does compress footage slightly as well)

Some of the other positive feedback we receive from our customers, is the great form factor of the BlackVue and the discrete designs for easy-mounting * set-up in the vehicle.

Thank you and good luck!

Hi and thanks for the comment. It's nice to see vendors taking active part in forums.

I see that the Blackvue 650S-2ch is sold for $500 in AU. What I find a bit troubling in this price range is that the rear cam is 720p.
Are you aware of any near plans to release a 1080p for the rear camera? This is a bit of the deal breaker for me in this whole research about dash cams.

I wouldn't mind waiting a bit (and risking by not having a dash cam) if there are plans to upgrade the rear cam soon.

Having the same problem too. Do you think RF interference is the cause or GPS Satellite line of sight? I had mine install close to another cam. Posted this in another thread. Any ideas?
My.. opinion is that the circuitry in the Blackvue is a bit of an afterthought and does not have the same power as that used in a Garmin GPS unit. The argument that there is interference from other GPS units does not make sense to me.. I can have back to back Garmin GPS units laying on the floor in my vehicle and "they" seem to be able to receive the signal with no problems. Same with the argument about the signal being blocked by those "little dot" screens.."they" do not stop my Garmin.

So the S model has sound on/off toggle back AND a cloud feature?
So I am led to believe.. there is a setting in the setup program to toggle it from Audio of / on or to record an event.

Hi and thanks for the comment. It's nice to see vendors taking active part in forums.

I see that the Blackvue 650S-2ch is sold for $500 in AU. What I find a bit troubling in this price range is that the rear cam is 720p.
Are you aware of any near plans to release a 1080p for the rear camera? This is a bit of the deal breaker for me in this whole research about dash cams.

I wouldn't mind waiting a bit (and risking by not having a dash cam) if there are plans to upgrade the rear cam soon.

Thanks for your feedback Gil!

We can't comment on any new models coming out at the moment.

The DR650-2CH 16GB + PMP combination is currently available for $474.00 through one of our premium online dealers, dashcamsaustralia.com.au

The competitor 1080P+1080P 2CH model is sold for ~$699 at the moment, so it really does depend on your budget.

If you're really concerned about rear camera quality, then a stand alone 1080P dash cam may be best. Some users mount two separate 1CH cameras in their vehicle to acheive 1080P+1080P.

The fact is the vast majority of our customers are happy with the rear camera quality as it still provides evidence of who was at fault in an accident. And capture plates in a lot of circumstances.

Have a look on Youtube to see if the rear camera for the BlackVue will suit your needs. It is quite small and mounts very discretely on the back window.

Thanks again

Another alternative is to do what I have done In the front I have a DR500 GW-HD and in the rear have a DR450GW-HD Get the best of both worlds Then you only need the power cord at the rear Cost me about the same as buying what you are looking at and is quite discrete as well.

But then I dont upload to Youtube or to the cloud or even my smartfone.
I just clear the cards every so often and if nothing happens I leave them alone.
I bought them for safety not to be a movie director.

Another alternative is to do what I have done In the front I have a DR500 GW-HD and in the rear have a DR450GW-HD Get the best of both worlds Then you only need the power cord at the rear Cost me about the same as buying what you are looking at and is quite discrete as well.

But then I dont upload to Youtube or to the cloud or even my smartfone.
I just clear the cards every so often and if nothing happens I leave them alone.
I bought them for safety not to be a movie director.

interesting. I'll look into that. I'm not sure I can grab the old models anymore in Australia.
and I agree on the movie director part :)

ok, so for the sake of anyone who follows this thread, I've decided to go for the Thinkware F770.
It has a better night quality image. FHD for rear cam with 30fps.
Seems to have overall better image quality.
I wanted to go with the BlackVue but I'm not sold on the video quality and the rear camera.

Be really surprised if you could get a brand new system from them, given Pittasoft don't manufacture those models any more. And I would also not count on their warranty support.
I am totally 101% agree with you. Got fried with my first DR750LW-2CH where they sold me a crack English Version. I got my refund back and minus all the hassle and shipping cost. I rather pay more to the BlackVue local authorized dealer/distributor rather than paying those guys. At least I know where to locate the local representative.
By the way, don't even bother to buy from ebay or other online shopping unless authorized by Pittasoft. "Once bitten twice shy".

that will cause it
We can strike this one off bro. I tested a new cam, and no interference. Flawless. Log in within 10secs and surrounded by some tall buildings on one side and not more than 2 floors building another side. My previous cam, GPS will not logged in at all.

We can strike this one off bro. I tested a new cam, and no interference. Flawless. Log in within 10secs and surrounded by some tall buildings on one side and not more than 2 floors building another side. My previous cam, GPS will not logged in at all.

same make and model?

Back