Accessories you keep on hand

It's a new feature for ADAS - it's a traffic calibration feature. :jimlad:

(2) power banks with protective hard shell cases
several spare microSD cards
small roll of spare 3M VHB tape
card reader + Lightning SD card reader with adapters
spare Mobius lens cap
bent paper clip for emergency pressing of re-set button or for removing memory card from camera if I've trimmed my nails
emergency suction camera mount
Loaded handgun with extra rounds
(2) M67 hand grenades (for unusual traffic emergencies where no other resolution seems likely or possible)
You reminded me of the stuff I keep in my other dashcam bag!

VHB tape roll and scissors
Cheese plate (if not already mounted)
3x helmet mounts
Spare 3m, 4m and 5m mini USB cables
Velcro cable ties
Self adhesive cable tidy things
Suction cup mount
Mobius lens caps & mounts
12v USB adapters

I have a cheapie one from Amazon. It uses iUSB Pro software as the app. It works but I would rather get the apple one. Looks like all the cheapie ones uses the iUSB Pro software. Its some Chinese app. That should be reason enough to not use it. I only use it on my iPod touch, don't dare install it on my iPhone.

I picked up the Apple Lightning to SD adapter and tried using it with the 128 microSD from my A119 Pro. Unable to view anything using the Import function from Photos. I put that same microSD in my old Canon digital camera and took a picture and a video and I can see both of those the Apple adapter. Maybe its something with how Viofo names the files.

Purchased the lightning to SD card camera reader and tested it out and it works just fine with my iPhone 8+ and my iPad Pro. Both up to date iOS 11.3.1. No issues to report. Are you having any problems? I am using the 64gb BlackVue SSD card by the way.

Are you using it the microSD from your Blackvue DR900S?

I picked up the Apple Lightning to SD adapter and tried using it with the 128 microSD from my A119 Pro. Unable to view anything using the Import function from Photos. I put that same microSD in my old Canon digital camera and took a picture and a video and I can see both of those the Apple adapter. Maybe its something with how Viofo names the files.

you need an aftermarket iOS adapter to read the files, Apple only support DCIM file structure

you need an aftermarket iOS adapter to read the files, Apple only support DCIM file structure

If Viofo doesn't use the DCIM file structure, maybe they shouldn't put everything in a folder named DCIM. :unsure:

I'm wondering if that item is off topic or not?
Question was: "what sorts of dashcam accessories/spares do you all keep with you in your vehicles?"...

I'm wondering if your oft on display clinical humor impairment is taking a turn for the worse? :eek:

If Viofo doesn't use the DCIM file structure, maybe they shouldn't put everything in a folder named DCIM. :unsure:

The SG9665GC is the same. @jokiin has made efforts to get this to work but there appear to be insurmountable issues achieving DCIM compatibility with certain dash cam DSP chips.

One option would be to try a Wioboy but there has still been an audio track transfer issue. Some people have had success with this and similar products that use the iUSB app and iDISKK app.

I've used an older similar product that works fine to transfer dash cam video to iPads and iPhones except that the audio also doesn't work. (that "might" have recently been fixed but I have yet to try the very recently updated app) See THIS THREAD for more info. One way or another the ability to quickly transfer and view video on a mobile device even without audio is better than no transfer.

it's not the folders that are the issue, it's the file names, rename the existing files and your Apple card reader will be able to see them

You reminded me of the stuff I keep in my other dashcam bag!

VHB tape roll and scissors
Cheese plate (if not already mounted)
3x helmet mounts
Spare 3m, 4m and 5m mini USB cables
Velcro cable ties
Self adhesive cable tidy things
Suction cup mount
Mobius lens caps & mounts
12v USB adapters

What?!! No hand grenades!!? :smuggrin:

The SG9665GC is the same. @jokiin has made efforts to get this to work but there appear to be insurmountable issues achieving DCIM compatibility with certain dash cam DSP chips.

it's not the chipset, challenge is it's limited to an eight character file name, if it's just video that's easy enough but when you want to use GPS it doesn't work due to the file naming convention that is needed for file sorting, playback etc

it's not the chipset, challenge is it's limited to an eight character file name, if it's just video that's easy enough but when you want to use GPS it doesn't work due to the file naming convention that is needed for file sorting, playback etc

I see. I guess that sort of means it's the chipset anyway, no? Either was it obviously won't work.

I see. I guess that sort of means it's the chipset anyway, no? Either was it obviously won't work.
not a chipset issue, more of a feature issue, for GPS if you want the files to be useful you really need to use the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS naming format which doesn't work for the Apple card reader

not a chipset issue, more of a feature issue, for GPS if you want the files to be useful you really need to use the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS naming format which doesn't work for the Apple card reader

This is beginning to feel like a silly head-of-the-pin sort of argument but doesn't a "feature issue" depend on what is programmed into any given chipset? Anyway, we agree that it won't work and my bringing the whole subject up in the first place was to attempt to explain (for whatever reasons) that the issue is baked into the cake and not the camera developer's fault.

This is beginning to feel like a silly head-of-the-pin sort of argument but doesn't a "feature issue" depend on what is programmed into any given chipset? .

if you don't want GPS and just want simple video then the file name structure could be done in the format that would work for iOS, eg Mobius 1 you can view the files, other 9665x chipset series products that offer GPS you can't as they have to use a different file naming convention for those functions to work, same chipset but it's the features that limit how the output is configured

if you don't want GPS and just want simple video then the file name structure could be done in the format that would work for iOS, eg Mobius 1 you can view the files, other 9665x chipset series products that offer GPS you can't as they have to use a different file naming convention for those functions to work, same chipset but it's the features that limit how the output is configured

OK fine. But really, when it comes right down to it, who cares? The bottom line is that the long established DCIM standard no longer functions on your cameras.

OK fine. But really, when it comes right down to it, who cares? The bottom line is that the long established DCIM standard no longer functions on your cameras.

I thought perhaps @krole might care which is why I mentioned it, it's not a matter of it not working on my cameras, the genuine Apple card reader doesn't work on most dash cameras due to the other features they have, he may not have had the benefit of reading a thread from a few years ago when this was discussed so perhaps he may have found the information useful, that's all

I thought perhaps @krole might care which is why I mentioned it, it's not a matter of it not working on my cameras, the genuine Apple card reader doesn't work on most dash cameras due to the other features they have, he may not have had the benefit of reading a thread from a few years ago when this was discussed so perhaps he may have found the information useful, that's all

Apple is a pain.

If a camera isn't going to follow the DCIM standard, it shouldn't pretend to and name the folder DCIM. Doesn't matter why it can't. That is misleading and is why I even tried the Apple adapter in the first place. Renaming the files manually first defeats the whole purpose of this experiment. Just going to return it.

Not going to try those other lightning to SD adapters because I'm not installing Chinese software from unknown sources. Rather not have potential malicious software on my phone which has all my personal data, If I wanted that I would have an Android phone in the first place.

Not going to try those other lightning to SD adapters because I'm not installing Chinese software from unknown sources. Rather not have potential malicious software on my phone which has all my personal data

you don't have to, the apps are on the app store and go through the same approval process as every other app there

Back