Accident after a truck gives a stopped vehicle on shoulder some room.

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I am a proponent of these slow down or change lanes for emergency vehicles. I will do so for all stopped vehicles and not just those with amber or blue lights.

This idiot with a dashcam just illustrated the down side of that. Sorry, only a twitter link.

Ooooooo My god thats a nasty one :eek:

It is also why i would not be on the roadway if i was stopped in a place like that, i would be outside that rail for sure no matter how inconvenient that might have been.

And yes, that person should never be allowed to drive again, once he/she come out of jail some time in the future.
I wonder what the speed limit are there ?

Fairly graphic clip!!

true though, if you break down, you should always wait the other side of the guard rail. It's bad enough they were stood on the shoulder by their car but even more so with their backs to the traffic!

I know it cant never ever be done 100% for good reasons, but never ever trust other people on or near the road.
When i got my license this advise was aimed at playing children near the road, today it sadly apply to the majority of people.

This idiot with a dashcam just illustrated the down side of that. Sorry, only a twitter link.
Question is, does changing lane increase or decrease the risk on average?

I tend to think that it increases the risk, as long as the stopped vehicle is off the road and anybody working on it doesn't step out into the road.
Certainly in this case there wouldn't have been an accident if the lorry hadn't changed lanes.

Not too sure why the accident happened, the car was going rather fast, but from the time they put the brakes on they should have been able to stop before reaching the parked vehicle, and stopping wasn't necessary! I think a lot of people don't know how to use, or maintain their brakes!

a lot of people don't know how to use, or maintain their brakes!
Looking at Russian dashcam videos thats true for sure, i swear some videos i have seen i am willing to bet that the max number of working brakes was 2 or less.

I think the truck might be partially to blame as well for changing lanes way too late and not checking that the left lane was clear before attempting to change lanes. True, the camera car was going quite fast, but the road was straight and there appeared to be time to check and decide whether to stay in the same lane or not. As for why the crash wasn't avoided, it seemed like the driver was aiming for the shoulder given how slow the truck was making the lane change and didn't react until just before hitting the hazard marker, judging by the tire squeal.

In addition to not standing right between the car and other high speed traffic, the other driver should've had more than 1 hazard marker and placed them further back. I was just watching a video from a tow truck driver yesterday and asking myself the question why he started placing cones 6 to 8 truck lengths back? He didn't even block off a lane, just kept them on the inside of the shoulder. This timely video graphically illustrates the 1 of 1000 chances, or for today's traffic 1 in 10, where that could've helped avoid or at least lessen the potential of an incident.

KuoH

Not too sure why the accident happened, the car was going rather fast, but from the time they put the brakes on they should have been able to stop before reaching the parked vehicle, and stopping wasn't necessary! /QUOTE]

In another thread, we are discussing drivers don't seem to know how to use their side mirrors. I don't think the trucker took a good look at his mirrors when deciding to change lanes at almost the last moment. I am not going to make a lane change if I can't go anywhere near as fast as the car in the lane that I will be in front of as there may be a collision. The trucker should have known he was blocking the view to the shoulder and the re-action of the car would be to go to the right as opposed to slowing down. The truck made an unsafe lane change. Ontario law states to slow down if a lane change is not possible, although it does not state how much.

No rules can always be the safest option as situations vary. This was a chain of errors which ended tragically. The first error was a rule mandating that you move over if that is possible, which in this case it was. As this was clearly the single thing which led to everything else happening fault must be assigned to that rule, and indeed to any hard and fast rule which might lead to a less safe situation.

1- The trucker should have moved over sooner as there was visibility and time to do that. However he might have thought that moving over sooner would prompt the camera car to change lanes making that a less-safe option. Or he could have been lackadaisical about it all. Since we can't know their intention or thoughts, the only fault I can assign them is that they did not leave as much room between them and the camera car as they should have before moving over. Still, there was enough space so that the camera car did not need to take emergency action; though some braking would have been needed. Very little wrong if any by the trucker whose greatest sin was in not moving over sooner.

2- When the camera car saw the truck moving into the fast lane with a signal, and no slower traffic ahead of him causing this, they should have known that something odd was happening and slowed until they determined what that was and whether returning to their previous speed was safe once again (if indeed it was safe to begin with which we do not know). The camera car driver is too stupid to be driving, and there is much fault in that, however until intelligence is mandated before privileges are given this is perfectly legal. An equal share of this fault goes to the system who licensed them to drive when they never should have.

3- The camera car should not have changed lanes. First, they could not see far enough ahead to safely do that because they hadn't slowed down for the truck moving over. Second, they went past the lane limits and onto the shoulder which should have never happened. Third, they braked when they should have steered when the disabled vehicle became visible; they made no serious attempt to avoid the ensuing crash when they could have.

4- The people with the disabled car bear some fault here as well. They clearly knew they were in a dangerous spot and they should not have failed to be watching the traffic as it approached so they could at least hope to jump to safety if that became necessary. Instead they stupidly remained in harms way and it bit them.

If not a murderer, the driver of the camera car is a reckless and wanton killer. They do not deserve a place in our free society ever again. Whoever was involved in licensing them should be fired, and should never be allowed to hold any position of trust ever again. The trucker deserves a ticket for an improper lane change and to be made to watch this video if they haven't seen it already so that they are more diligent if this happens to them again. The poor souls with the disabled car have paid dearly for their contribution, but should be made to understand that there would have been no tragedy, only a crash, had they acted more sensibly.

We as drivers are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of our vehicles, regardless of what rules or laws must be broken to have this happen. We are also as responsible to do our best to not cause a loss of safety to other road users whether directly or indirectly. It is a great and grave responsibility we have and it should be treated like that by those granting driving privileges too. Deciding fault and giving punishments afterwards is a poor substitute for not allowing the problems to occur in the first place. Better can be done, but nobody is doing it and therein lies the main fault of this all.

Phil

Wow , that driver !
Can I say lots and lots of bad shi* should happen to that driver ...

Back