Accident at intersection with signals out

Oh dear. Perhaps the other driver was a stranger in town.

I got the impression she was in a post work daze on her way home and wasn't paying any attention to the fact the traffic signals were completely out.

How old was the person who caused the accident? Down my way many younger drivers do not know when traffic light is out you treat the intersection as a 4 way stop.

How old was the person who caused the accident? Down my way many younger drivers do not know when traffic light is out you treat the intersection as a 4 way stop.

She was older..maybe 65. I think she was just driving on auto pilot.

Well it is pretty dark at the site, so if you are also from out of town then its just asking for trouble.

Its the same problem here when it happen, people are absolutely clueless as what to do, and the prevailing thing seem to be that if one road are larger than the crossing one then people on the smaller road must wait for a hole in traffic.
And that's not how it work, you have to stop from people coming from the right and make sure people from the left are stopping for you.
And if there are people at all 4 entry's into the intersection, things just get really ugly :rolleyes:

O and put a cop in the middle of the intersection and it get even worse, and again its really simple if you know what to do.

She was older..maybe 65. I think she was just driving on auto pilot.
that brings up a good point - i wonder what a self-driving car would do when the traffic lights are out... i'm sure that's in their code - to treat it like a 4-way stop. But will they be able to SEE that it's a traffic light and that it's not working? especially at night like this?

I will assume there is a database of GPS location of intersections, and maybe sensors / cameras are trained to look for the light bucket shape too first and then second the color of the light in it second.
Otherwise i assume you could cheat "smart" cars with a colored flashlight ?

We have a very awkward junction here where things can be extremely difficult when the lights are out, it's an extremely busy area and there are 12 sets of lights there (yellow marks), people crawl through when they don't work.... and strangely there's NEVER an incident

but when the lights are working, that's when things go wrong, usually with drivers who try to beat the red light either nearly causing a crash at speed, or blocking the junction in various parts in stationary traffic

map.jpg

Back