Accident Record Button?

Steve Acton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Does the DR500GW have a accident record button or does it just use G sensors to record an accident?

Usually G sensors are enough I wouldnt be worrying about trying to press buttons whilst in the middle of a crash I don't think

Download the manual It has a description of all the working parts

my actual dashcam (a compatible GS1000 orange menu) has a 'video lock' function that prevent from erase videos recorded by event triggered by G sensors (or manual checked with a button). This function is very useful to keep important videos without having to copy them out every days.
I thought every dashcam has a similar function, but blackvue seems to not have it.

Most dash cams do not have a button to lock files. Usually this is done automatically with the G-Sensor. You can use the Dash Cam Comparison Tool to identify which cameras lock files with a button. Look at the "Lock files" row and it will say Auto, Button or None.

Thanks DashCamMan. Comparison Tool reports 'auto' in Lock Files for BlackVue DR500GW but reading this thread and the manual does not report this function. It can record a video when triggered by G sensors, but not lock it preventing the loop recording to overwrite it.

It also reports that GS1000 has 12v power but actually is 5v.. I'm powering my cam from a 12 to 5 converter.

Blackvue do have that function if you use the % way of recording They do however still get deleted but only after the standard recorded files have been done.
Depends on the % alternative you use as to how long it takes to get erased.
So if you need the file, after it occurs you should copy it to somewhere else to retain it.

If you have a bad enough accident you may well not be going anywhere anyway.

The GS 1000 probably has the 12/5 converter built into the ciggy plug as do most things that require 5 v look on the plug it will probably tell you that.

An accident record button is pretty useless when you are using both hands on the wheel to try to stay alive LOL

Unless of course it is able to lock the previous file

yes the button lock the file that is recording, but however it also locks the file depending on the G sensor. These files will be not overwritten when the card is full. Obviously if you are parte of an accident you will take the videos out as soon as you can, however it seems an useful feature to me.
Thanks for the info on blackvue, haven't read that in the manual.

Yes the GS1000 converts 12 to 5v in the cigarette lighter plug, but this way all the dashcams are intended to work at 12v so this field in the comparison tool would be useless! The useful info is that the GS1000 needs 5v, the BlackVue nedds 12v, and so on. Stating this, when I plan to buy the GS1000 I already know that I could use my already installed dc-dc converter (used for may dash installed nexus 7) for powering the dash cam too :)

You are right the GS1000 is 5V not 12V. I have updated the table.
For locking files, the BlackVue does this with the G-sensor...uses % allocation for each category of files.

Back