action-cam (GoPro, Viofo/Git2/GitUp etc.) as a dashcam?

nusrat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking about doing it because
(a) I can get much higher frame-rates in an a-cam (240fps) than in a dash-cam (60fps),
which should make it easier to legibly capture moving license-plates;
(b) I want a bigger screen, and there are more a-cams than d-cams which allow external monitors (yes, even while recording);
(c) I can use an action-cam for other things;
(d) Space-hogging, installation effort etc. are lesser concerns for me.

Your ideas / experiences?

We have seen one Sj7 Star pretty much melt in a windscreen, but other than that its not a model to my knowledge that have a heat problem though it do get pretty hot recording 4K.
Lately i have been taking some rides with the SJ6 Legend in my windscreen and it coped well with mediocre "summer" temperatures, but its not a high FPS camera as it can only handle 1080/60

The Sj7 can handle 1080/120 but i would not advise using that due to our tester friends camera melting that bad.

Also do remember high frame rates can only be sustained well with plenty of light that will allow for the exposure timings to be fast too, so for 240 FPS shooting your exposure timing can not be slower than 1/240 second, and dashcameras and others to provide bright low light footage they will often drop as low as 1:30 second to provide the bright footage.
But such slow exposures are murder on footage that's from a moving camera or a stedy camera but moving subjects in the footage.

A SJ6 Legend recording speed up, using 1080/60 - narrow FOV

hehe you would expect all of the idiots have moved to Copenhagen by now, but sadly they left a sizeable rear guard.

But getting out in the country and on the small roads i seek out then Denmark dont look half bad.

Its out there i would prefer to live for sure, and though a little house out there only cost the same every month as my apartment, then i dont have the means to pull the trigger.

I got to remember to bring my Dslr for my next drives of this kind, just to stop and snap a few pictures at extra nice spots on the drive.

Back