Action Cam is Dead

roy_sigs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my Action cam for around 10/11 months it has worked brilliantly. I had a period where I took it out of the car, I lost the base plate, sent off for a replacement got it back, put it on the cam, put it back in the car, it will not work. I have tried 2 different cables on it, I have tried it on my laptop, and also my wifes laptop and cannot get any sign of life out of it.
Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what has happened here.?

I have had my Action cam for around 10/11 months it has worked brilliantly. I had a period where I took it out of the car, I lost the base plate, sent off for a replacement got it back, put it on the cam, put it back in the car, it will not work. I have tried 2 different cables on it, I have tried it on my laptop, and also my wifes laptop and cannot get any sign of life out of it.
Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what has happened here.?
  1. Have you tried a different battery? If the battery is completely dead the camera won't react.
  2. Remove the battery and use your USB power cable connected to an external power source - do not use your PC as the power source. Does your camera show any signs of life?
  3. Is the lens module ribbon cable correctly inserted and not shorting?

Thank you for the reply.
I had never opened the camera before today. I removed the battery, then tried it back in the car using two different usb cables,, nothing happened at all no lights nothing, looking at the ribbon cable I cannot see any damage to it, that was magnifying it 10 times.

Thank you for the reply.
I had never opened the camera before today. I removed the battery, then tried it back in the car using two different usb cables,, nothing happened at all no lights nothing, looking at the ribbon cable I cannot see any damage to it, that was magnifying it 10 times.
If you remove everything, battery, card, and lens module, and then connect the camera to your PC or your power supply the blue LED should flash followed by 3 (or 2, too fast to count) flashes of the rear red LED.
If you see nothing, then either you have a serious hardware failure (blown DSP) or corrupted firmware.
You can rule out a firmware issue by manually copying the firmware BIN file to a freshly formatted card and then putting the card into the camera. Don't turn the camera on. Just connect it to your PC and you will hopefully see the camera come back to life while the firmware updates itself. If there is still no sign of life, your last chance is to repeat the above process using the bootloader file instead of the firmware file. Always use SDFormatter to format your card before copying the firmware or bootloader file to the card - this is very important.

Thanks again for your reply.
I tried all the above up to the bootloader file, I wasn't exactly sure what the bootloader file is, so spoke to my mate who also has the Actioncam between us we decicided that the closet thing we could see was the SYSCONFIG.TXT file which I also tried, but again with no luck. Do i now have to say it's had it or have you any other suggestion that I may try.

If its less then 12 months old doesnt the manufacturer guarantee it?

If its less then 12 months old doesnt the manufacturer guarantee it?

One would assume so but by opening the case would that void the warranty?

Hope not! :eek:

One would assume so but by opening the case would that void the warranty?

Hope not! :eek:

No, it comes with Allen key to adjust lens, to use this you would need to open case. If supplier didn't want you to open it than the key wouldn't be supplied

No, it comes with Allen key to adjust lens, to use this you would need to open case. If supplier didn't want you to open it than the key wouldn't be supplied

I just assumed that round white seal next to the lens was placed over the two halves to allow them to use that as reason to void the warranty. (Usually is)

Good! Because I was going to colour it black with a felt pen anyway. (Makes the camera stand out) ;)

I just assumed that round white seal next to the lens was placed over the two halves to allow them to use that as reason to void the warranty. (Usually is)

Good! Because I was going to colour it black with a felt pen anyway. (Makes the camera stand out) ;)
Peel it, no one will care. When there's a problem, the seller will recommend you take it apart. It doesn't void the warranty.

Back