Action Camera Filmmaking

Nathyn Masters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ4000, SJ5000x Elite
Hey guys, I'm working on a book called "Action Camera Filmmaking," and I'm doing a camera list. The main thing I'm looking for are action cameras that do native 4K at 24p. I've listed the ones that do interpolated 4K at 24p as well as the camera's I've reviewed, but none are native 4K/24p. If anyone knows some native 4K/24p action cameras let me know. Also, I'm noticing action cameras are doing 25p or just leaving 24p off their native 4k cameras. What's that about? 24p is a standard resolution (I know it wasn't always a standard for video, that's just been a thing in the past decade). 24p is a big draw to indie filmmakers as well as ability to shoot in a neutral "flat" color mode that gets more detail in the shadows and highlights, but 24p is the big one.

-Nate

Last edited:
Welcome back :)

60fps is the standard for action cameras, or 30fps for the ones that can't manage 60fps.

Some people use 50fps or 25fps if they live in a PAL region where larger video cameras are available only with 25/50fps and they want to cut and mix the video between cameras, but that seems to be becoming less common.

If you want to emulate motion blurred film then you can do that at 60fps using a neutral density filter to keep exposure times slow and then adding extra motion blur during editing by averaging adjacent frames.

Some of the more popular 4K cameras:
  • Yi 4K+ : does 4K 60fps and stabilised 4K 30fps, but expensive.
  • SJCAM SJ7 : Traditional shape, mid priced 4K, no stabilisation @ 4K.
  • Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K : cheap 4K, not traditional shape.
  • Gitup F1 : fits in places other 4K cameras don't, connections for FPV and PWM remote control, but you need to use either the FPV output or wi-fi and the app if you want a viewfinder, no inbuilt stabilisation @ 4K, nice filter mount for your ND or CPL filters.

Thanks. How's it going? I have the Yi 4K, and SJ7 listed (they're working on 4k/24p, I'm trying to download the .bin now), I will look up the Gitup F1. I saw the Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K, but don't know if I listed it.

-Nate

In addition to vivid and natural color profiles, the latest FW update for the Mijia Mini brings a Fuji F-LOG profile option.

In addition to vivid and natural color profiles, the latest FW update for the Mijia Mini brings a Fuji F-LOG profile option.
Nice. I might add a whole section about the Mijia Mini 4k. It look great, the more I find out about it.

-Nate

Nice. I might add a whole section about the Mijia Mini 4k. It look great, the more I find out about it.

-Nate
I've only had it for a few days but it seems very capable. I'm taking it out for a test alongside the F1 tomorrow.

I've only had it for a few days but it seems very capable. I'm taking it out for a test alongside the F1 tomorrow.
Cool. I'm looking at some videos about it now. I hope they add 24p if they're adding a LOG setting.

-Nate

These log profiles are just sales features on 8 bit video, they add too much noise and degrade the image quality too much unless you use 10 bit video files, and currently I don't think any action cameras can manage 10 bit H265. Back in GoPro Hero 3 days the log could help, but these days the sensors produce much cleaner images and our displays are capable of showing the details of the noise and colour banding, you are better off setting the contrast, saturation etc on the camera to as close to the target result as possible and then only making minor corrections in the editor.

These log profiles are just sales features on 8 bit video, they add too much noise and degrade the image quality too much unless you use 10 bit video files, and currently I don't think any action cameras can manage 10 bit H265. Back in GoPro Hero 3 days the log could help, but these days the sensors produce much cleaner images and our displays are capable of showing the details of the noise and colour banding, you are better off setting the contrast, saturation etc on the camera to as close to the target result as possible and then only making minor corrections in the editor.
OK. Thanks for your helpful insight. It is not something that I know much about myself, but I thought it might be useful to Nate.

OK. Thanks for your helpful insight. It is not something that I know much about myself, but I thought it might be useful to Nate.
His book probably says the opposite and includes a couple of chapters on how to make best use of log profiles and which give the best results :D

The professionals use them all the time, but they don't normally use 8 bit video.

His book probably says the opposite and includes a couple of chapters on how to make best use of log profiles and which give the best results :D

The professionals use them all the time, but they don't normally use 8 bit video.

And that's the thing. I don't know how good log will work with 8 bit video. It would probably be better to simply shoot in the neutral color in WDR mode.

-Nate

And that's the thing. I don't know how good log will work with 8 bit video. It would probably be better to simply shoot in the neutral color in WDR mode.

-Nate
And with a bit of -EV if you want to keep the highlights from being over exposed. On most cameras the WDR only brightens the dark areas.

Hi there.
We just launched a new Real 4K/30fps 20mp Ultra HD Action Camera.

S300 action camera with the Hi3559V100 chip set Sony IMX377 image sensor and 8-layer glass lens, providing maximum fidelity, versatility, and ease of use. It records your video footage in 4K ultra HD at 30 frames per second and capture images at 20 megapixels. If you wanna know more about this camera pls go to the following link to check more info https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/special-offer-for-soocoo-s200-4k-action-camera.31617/

Discount: 25% Off.

Coupon Code: 25OFFS300

Buy Here: http://www.soocooplus.com/soocoo-s3...n-hi3559v100-imx377-eis-wifi-external-mic-gps

Sounds good, message me. We'll talk about it.

-Nate

The book is done. It should be out next week, but the kindle version should be out tomorrow.

-Nate

Back