Action Cams that can easily be hacked in order to have movies uploaded to FTP servers

martafiguei

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I am looking for a solution that allows an action cam to automatically upload videos to an FTP server or an S3 AWS bucket.

It can be a solution based on
- hacking the cams firmware
- connecting it to a raspberry pi via USB

- any other that enables this :)

Many thanks!

There are a number of action cameras that will stream video to RTSP, or use HTTP streaming if a server connects to them. The Gitup Git2 can also work with its network in client mode and connect to a network, although the server is still going to have to make the RTSP connection. I think there is an example on the Gitup.com website with it streaming to Youtube live via a server.

The thing is that I need cameras to work offline, wifi isn't available :(

This would be practical only if a cam would support 5G and you have an unlimited data plan.
The fact is that even a short drive will likely produce gigabytes of data (assuming 1080p or better) so the transfer would take a long time.

Exactly! would be the easiest but its not viable :(

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate

But ? Why will you want upload to FTP, if there are no internet ( wifi or mobile internet ), is it just cuz you can not be bothered to move the memory card to the computer when you get home ( what is normal )
Or are you afraid someone will steal your memory card / or use its content against you.

A 1080p camera produce around 120 MB data every minute it record, and this is modest bitrate dashcams, a high bitrate action camera i assume will generate 3 - 4 X larger files every minute.

We are doing a project for a client of ours, and they have this requirement because they want to easily record videos and upload them to an FTP server as soon as the machine has wi-fi available. I was investigating this Sony cam (SONY HDR-AS50) and it looks like an option.

They have an API/SDK, we could have a custom app running on a raspberry pi, connecting it to the machine and having the app uploading the videos.

What do you think?

Are there any other cams with API or SDK available?

Several of the cameras that use Novatek processors provide HTTP file access over the wifi, along with a set of HTTP requests to control the camera, and as previously stated, some Gitup cameras can also work as a network client rather than host.

Not saying it is a good solution, but it is feasible. Note that the wifi on these cameras is not fast, to download a minute of video is likely to take a minute.

Almost all HiSilicon based cams have busybox with ftpput command. What other device requirements were set by your client?

Accessing the videos is not a problem. Transfer them to a cloud is a different story. There could be a few minutes to few hours delay until your videos are pushed to the server depending on network availability. It's not going to be in real time or even close.

transfering them to the cloud we can manage :)

Do you think that a raspberry pi 8MP camara has good quality?

The quality of the new RPI HQ camera module is great (IMX477) but I am not sure about long term exposure to extreme conditions that it will have to endure. Then there is a matter of software that you will have to write...

Back