Activating motion detection

Mfizz1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hisilly question perhaps. I have motion detection mode in the aukey dr-01 wondering how and the conditions when it becomes active. Obviously I want it to become active when inturn the car off and parked up but how does the cam know this?

My understanding is that motion detection mode only records when the camera detects the car is "moving" actively driving.

What's the point of that function lol. There is timeless on there too I thought it would kick in if hardwired

My understanding is that motion detection mode only records when the camera detects the car is "moving" actively driving.
No, motion detection works (when it works) when it detects motion in the video frame, regardless of whether or not the vehicle is in motion. I said 'when it works' because motion detection in most dash cams is sorely lacking - either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

There are reports here on DCT of MD being set off by clouds blowing in the wind - too sensitive. :(

I set up a spare dash cam as a 'security cam' and it failed to detect vehicles driving down the street, leaving/entering my garage, or UPS/FEDEX deliveries on my porch not 10 feet from the camera - not sensitive enough. :(

No, motion detection works (when it works) when it detects motion in the video frame, regardless of whether or not the vehicle is in motion. I said 'when it works' because motion detection in most dash cams is sorely lacking - either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

There are reports here on DCT of MD being set off by clouds blowing in the wind - too sensitive. :(

I set up a spare dash cam as a 'security cam' and it failed to detect vehicles driving down the street, leaving/entering my garage, or UPS/FEDEX deliveries on my porch not 10 feet from the camera - not sensitive enough. :(

ah, yeah that makes sense. yeah I can see that depending on the sensitivity and other factors can cause issues if of that being triggered. like if a bug landed on the windshield in view.

I have seen footage on youtube of old Lukas dashcams ( LK 7500 / 7900 ) getting set off in low light by a cat on the other side of the road in low light.

Motion detect are a parking guard feature, and a bad one at that even if you could adjust it to react on something human sized,,,, or larger.

Park with that stuff on, and on the side of a busy road or mall parking lot and you are better off recording normal all the time as that kind of recording can be recycled, motion detect recordings are event recordings so they can not be deleted of camera to free more space, so they can totally fill up a memory card leaving room for nothing.

Okay some cameras you can specify how much of the memory card that can be used for motion, but i am not sure if that footage can then be recycled or that part of the memory just fill up and then are full and cant record when something finally happen in front of your vehicle.

I would prefer G-sensor for parking mode, even if a large truck or bus passing by out on the street might cause a event, that should happen a lot less than things just passing by in front of the camera.
And it should still be sensitive enough to start recording if your side get dinged by a door from the car parked beside you.

And for the love of god dont use G sensor for regular driving, just record all the time and be done with it, it is pretty much impossible to tune G sensor to your local road conditions and as i found when i tried it shortly driving style.
And in that case G-sensor are also event files and can not be recycled automatic so again you risk filling up memory card or sector of memory card.

Just record and i am sure you will notice it when you have a crash, then press the manual event button, or just turn off car if it dont do that automatic as i understand some new cars do to prevent fire.

Okay some cameras you can specify how much of the memory card that can be used for motion, but i am not sure if that footage can then be recycled or that part of the memory just fill up and then are full and cant record when something finally happen in front of your vehicle.

I would prefer G-sensor for parking mode, even if a large truck or bus passing by out on the street might cause a event, that should happen a lot less than things just passing by in front of the camera.
And it should still be sensitive enough to start recording if your side get dinged by a door from the car parked beside you.

And for the love of god dont use G sensor for regular driving, just record all the time and be done with it, it is pretty much impossible to tune G sensor to your local road conditions and as i found when i tried it shortly driving style.
And in that case G-sensor are also event files and can not be recycled automatic so again you risk filling up memory card or sector of memory card.

Just record and i am sure you will notice it when you have a crash, then press the manual event button, or just turn off car if it dont do that automatic as i understand some new cars do to prevent fire.

Hi Kamkar1, you are sooooooo right! When I built my house I installed motion detection n the front and back to turn on the lights in case of a problem! Well there were constant problems, wind moving the grass, trees, bushes, Large bugs (seen it happen), rabbits, ground hogs, anything that moved in field of view, almost drove me nuts :eek::cautious:! It will work the same way for using it in vehicles, even when you can set the degree of execution! :( I now live and pledge forever by your last sentence !

@Lola
Yeah a PIR sensor can be expensive too if it work against what it is planned to do, not sure if you can block parts of its FOV so its only things right in front of the door that trigger it.
But then again if it was meant to turn on light that illuminate the path / approach to those places then that's not the way to do it.

Maybe put a photo cell across the path to those places, and put it fairly high so small animals like cats and what not cant trigger it.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting...g-Accessories/Photocells/N-5yc1vZc7qzZ1z0u58q

This off course mean more wirering, but for a handy man it should just be a fun little job

Isn't accelerometer sensitivity suppose to lock the file upon harsh breaking or sudden jerking?

Isn't accelerometer sensitivity suppose to lock the file upon harsh breaking or sudden jerking?
That's my understanding but I've never been able to make it happen on any of 5 different brand/models of dashcams I've owned. Maybe I'm not aggressive enough with my driving. ;)

I've only had one dashcam where motion detection worked the way I thought it should, and detected pedestrians within 30-40 feet of my parked vehicle.

I don't count on it working, but check it in various dashcams.

I put up some cheap, solar powered security lights at my GF's house, and her redneck neighbors are mystified how her dogs know how to turn the lights on.
:)

I was able to tune my Lukas LK-7500 to where it only made a few event recordings triggered by G sensor and my normal driving, but it took a few days analyzing the max forces on the 3 axis, and then enter custom values into the camera using the Lukas software / player.
The 3 default value was useless, even on low and me trying real hard to drive like a little old lady and it still triggered all the time, and its not like Danish streets are that bad.

In the end i just gave up using that BS and changed to always record

My problem is it not triggering I see most people complain about it being too sensitive so I set it at low. Nothing... Now I've set it at medium still nothing. I'll set it to high note see if that does anything

So i can see there is a thread to put a filter on the lens. Put i cannot seem to find anywhere the polorising filter is there a generic one that can be used?

Back