ADAS, LDWS FCWS etc

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When anyone asks why we don't use these features this is why, when they can work like this, then they're useful but it requires integration into the vehicle systems

While I'm all for safety, it is features like those which tend to cause people to pay less attention to their driving, expecting the machine to save them from their stupidity instead :( The time lost between receiving the warning, diverting attention back to driving, then reacting properly isn't enough to prevent the crash these features warn of. I'd go further than saying "integrated only" - I wouldn't want them to be offered in anything less than a fully automated car.

If you do not always pay enough attention to your driving and always maintain proper control of your car, then you should not be driving at all. If you need help doing that you should not be driving at all. If you do not understand why this is so you should not be driving at all. It's too bad the laws allow for people who should not be driving to do it anyway, and is exactly those people who would want features like these in their cars :mad:

So +1 for Jokin and SG who are doing their part to enhance road safety the correct way :cool:
Phil

i lolled when the tesla stop for the 2 women walking along on the sidewalk to the right, i would assume that could create havoc for manned cars behind the "robot" car.

I have even stopped asking for "ANPR" as i would like, realizing that with the current plate capture rate its going to be sketchy at best, though i would want it on the rear camera and cars trail along there pretty good for plate capture.
And anyway if a undercover cop car is trailing a person they are hanging back further than you can read plates, and from back there they will be login your speed.
at least thats how it look in the cop programs.

So maybe i am better off if some one would make a RF detector that can tell the difference between police car RF signature, and the RF signature of people driving around with their phone on.
I am pretty sure you must be able to make such a thing, and i would not mind to be parked beside the police station all day getting a feel for the RF signatures of the cars coming and going.

I am sure a phone broadcasts some unique ID, and Danish cop cars is on a phone like radio system now.

Dashcams should just stick to being dashcams. It shouldn't offer any safety features because chances are its poorly implemented and it gives people a false sense.

That said it took me weeks to figure out this beep my car was making, it turned out to be the lane departure warning.

"The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons".
Yeah, as we say here in Portugal "Rely on the Virgin Mary and don't run, and you'll see what happens"...

I've tried many dashcams with those features.
Lukas 9390 is the best so far followed by papago further down and most others are totally useless.
The Lukas is so good that it detects even small lane change immediately and has loud warning that is actually heard unlike others that just chime or beep.
I don't rely on it but it is additional attention when it warns for front vehicle or lane change.
The warning for front vehicle moved is also useful if you are looking at the phone or outside and the light turns green.

Papago has unique headlight reminder and stop sign/traffic signal recognition that work great but not as useful as the ldws, FCWS.

I wonder how Tesla works in heavy rain where visibility is bad.
Fog?
When someone splashes muddy water on its cameras?
When there is no lane markers?
When there is a 4 way crossroad without any sign like in rural areas?
I'm sure they did research them and more.

The Lukas is so good that it detects even small lane change immediately and has loud warning that is actually heard unlike others that just chime or beep.
Does the Lukas give any false alarms?

The warning for front vehicle moved is also useful if you are looking at the phone or outside and the light turns green.

Surely you don't need a device to let you know when the car in front has pulled away? You shouldn't be looking at your phone in the car anyway!

Does the Lukas give any false alarms?
Very rarely.

Surely you don't need a device to let you know when the car in front has pulled away? You shouldn't be looking at your phone in the car anyway!
It could be phone, some billboards, people walking on the side etc... that can distract.
Shouldn't vs reality is different.
If everyone drives as they should, we never have accidents and Tesla/BMW/Mercedes etc... won't be spending billions on these ADAS features.
It's easier said than done.
Just check the accident data. These features do help if used properly regardless of should or should not.

Very rarely.

It could be phone, some billboards, people walking on the side etc... that can distract.
Shouldn't vs reality is different.
If everyone drives as they should, we never have accidents and Tesla/BMW/Mercedes etc... won't be spending billions on these ADAS features.
It's easier said than done.
Just check the accident data. These features do help if used properly regardless of should or should not.
Ok, I understand your point. There are lots of potential distractions whilst driving, not all of which we can control.

I don't mind driver aids, so long as they are genuinely useful and don't actually become a distraction themselves.

God help us. I already see more Audis who I assume have the adaptive cruise control thing in heavy stop and go traffic, with the 'driver' texting away.

Back