Added: Support Image Rotation

roadkill401

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got my A119 unit from Amazon. I am very pleased with it so far and really like that it comes with a black sticky pad on the GPS receiver. Just to make sure it worked, I used some other 2 sided tape to temporarily stick it up and drove around the block. it takes about 3 minutes for the GPS to kick in and start recording time and speed.

Now I went in and downloaded the V2 firmware update and see that there is a new menu item called Image Rotation. I am curious what that is about.

My father had a cheep Canadian Tire special in his prius car. As he is funny about sticking things to the window, he has mounted his upside down using a suction cup to attach to the actual dash board. I am wondering if the Image Rotation is for that sort of thing. Where it rotates the image and recording data 180deg so if you mount the unit on the dash it is recording the right way up. I guess I can play with it to see if I can figure it out, but thought it best to ask here as VIOFO does respond to this forum.

Now I have given it a try and it sort of is correct, but sort of not. What it seems to do is not properly rotate the video, but mirror it top to bottom. This is where things get funky. The left is actually the right in the video. so if the footage, I am turning left, the video would show me turning right. It all looks great and very convincing of being correct until you see some text and realise it is a mirror image.

I don't know if this is a known bug. I am not sure if they can do effectively a double mirror that would correct the problem. Right now its a mirror top to bottom that gives the effect of rotating it 180deg, but what it needs is an additional left to right mirror that would correct directions, and then apply the dash display info.

sounds like it may be handy for use as a rear cam. it records what you see in your rearview mirror.

tagging @viofo so he's more likely to notice this - sounds like @roadkill401 has found a bug that should be easy to reproduce.

@roadkill401 - what resolution/fame rate are you using when it's mirrored? does it do it in all resolutions or just one? just looking for more info so the engineers can find and fix it quicker.

This was at the native full res. so 2k - if it would help, if viofo would like a copy of the video file, I'd be glad to sent it to them.

I have since, turned it the correct way around and stuck the unit to the top of the dash. Have not gotten out for a good drive so I don't know if it's working yet. Will have to wait until monday.

@viofo A request from me as well to fix the Image Rotation so that the left and right is also correct. Thanks.

The updated "image rotation" works great, No more using a mirror or turning your monitor upside down

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
viofo A119 181
PammyLZ A119 4
traveler A119 19
Back