Adding 3cm fan for cooling?

Cossie

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Dash Cam
A118C, Mini 0906
My Mini 0906 reaches 75 celcius very easily when driving. Outdoor temperature is 20 celcius and the car is not waited under the sun. I can't imagine the summer days. I puff some air from under of the camera and it really helps to cool it down in big numbers. I think HDMI port can help for mounting the 3cm fan. How can I get the energy from the micro-usb port?

Last edited:
75C shown on the display is not a problem.

If outside temperature gets above 30C then I suggest you put your aircon on, safer for both the dashcam and for yourself and everybody else on the road!

75C shown on the display is not a problem.

If outside temperature gets above 30C then I suggest you put your aircon on, safer for both the dashcam and for yourself and everybody else on the road!

Do you think it's still OK when the car locked in the parking guard mode in a summer day?

Do you think it's still OK when the car locked in the parking guard mode in a summer day?
With outside air temperature at 30C and all the windows closed and full sunshine in mid summer, the air near the roof of the car can get to 80C, the camera will get too hot and turn itself off until it cools down again.

Adding a 3cm fan may help a little, but if the air inside the parked car is 80C then you are just blowing hot air around and it will not keep the camera cool. You would need to blow some cool 30C air in from outside to make a significant difference, but a 3cm fan is too small for that. Possibly you place a 120mm fan over the air vent at the back of the car to blow air out and thus bring fresh cool air in through the air vents, the 120mm fan could be powered from a solar panel sitting on the parcel shelf under the back window, but on a hot day it may still get too hot.

the temperature protection is designed for the users want to park the vehicle under direct sunshine.
if use a usual dashcamera for parking guard, the camera may be damaged, even dangerous for your vehicle.

Keep in mind that if you are using batteries extremely high heat can introduce the possibility of an explosion ! That could ruin your day as well as the cameras!

And not forgetting a 30 mm fan are often quite loud if you want one that move some air.
I have not had a small fan like that in anything since my AMD 200 MHZ computer ( slot A or socket A whatever it was called )
subsequent motherbords that did have one such cooler on the north bridge got modified to passive cooling or passive cooling with a 80 mm papst fan blowing in that direction.

And, also I would better go with a 120mm fan, installed over the air vent.
Best installed as an extractor fan on the exit vent, not on the dashboard intake vents where it is likely to circulate hot air.

When running our esky (compressor refrigerator) in our car, the best thing is to leave a window open on each side of the car a couple of mm. You don't need much, but it is surprising what a few mm can do to reduce temperatures.

Back